wine podcast

I listened to IDTT on a bike ride yesterday, and this one was Erin Scala (sp?) talking about the wine of Pico Island, somewhere in the Azores Islands. It was even better than normal casts since she has added sound effects (tastefully) and folds in some scientific interviews as sidebars. Her voice / speaking is also well modulated.

A lifetime ago we used to have a radio voice actor / reader in our church, and when he would read passages for the congregation, it was just on another level from all the rest of the warbling laypeople. The quality of IDTT vs. the rest reminds me of that gap.

The quality of IDTT is really impressive - and with the number of podcasts Levi has done, he now has the opportunity to fold in older interviews into current one to give a sense of perspective. Egos seem to be kept in check during these podcasts as well, and the winemakers and owners generally come across as approachable and humble.

Cheers.

Iā€™ve only listened to a few but Iā€™ll pile on to the IDTT praise heap. I am very much a wine novice but diving into the deep end hasnā€™t hurt in this case. I started with the Prum episode around the time of release and have pecked away at some of the archive since. Appreciate the Chardonnay epi recommendation above; much of it was way over my head but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

1 Like

Somm TV had released numerous different wine podcasts. Their primary podcast is very well done.

XChateau- Iā€™m just becoming familiar with it now, but my intial impressions are quite good.

Vinepair has a podcast that frequently has wine topics, but theyā€™ve also got a wine only podcast called Wine 101. As the name implies, it isnā€™t too advanced but the host is really engaging.

Jake Suckling has a podcast. It is really disappointing.

Two Guys Talking Wine has the two most entertaining hosts in the gameā€¦.but you have to care about Canadian wine in order to listen. Lucky for me I do.

I found idtt early on on in my hobby and have listened now to all of the episodes from #1 on.

Somewhere in the late 100s I realized it was unlocking so much insight that I felt it was only fair to leave a review on the iTunes Store (ā€œput a person on your glassā€) and make a donation to support the show in an amount equal to my average bottle purchase price for the past year. The episodes began coming with increasing frequency and quality so I continued the tradition of supporting the show annually. I am now 8 years into this and plan to continue doing so as long as the project is continuing.

A few months ago Levi posted on IG saying that there were only a handful of folks contributing which surprised me, given how frequently I hear the quality and value of the work acknowledged.

2 Likes

Jancis Robinson just started a podcast. First episode is on Food & Wine pairing, release 12/5. Seems like it might be a good addition to the podcast scene.

3 Likes

I am very much interested in that!

The first episode is pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking (other than a recommendation for lamb with Assyrtiko), but interesting nonetheless. I really liked it.

My only gripe is that it was clearly recorded on Zoom over a glitchy internet connection. There was very little effort in the production, or it was done by someone who doesnā€™t know what theyā€™re doing. Hopefully that gets cleaned up.

Either way though, Iā€™ll keep listening!

1 Like

I do think that Iā€™ll drink to that is the best podcast out there but otherā€™s Iā€™ve enjoyed were Guildsomm although I find it more boring since Geoff is gone, The Grape Nation, Vinepair, Wine for Normal People and The Taste with Doug Shafer who usually has people from Napa Valley on, hope this helps.

1 Like

I listened to this today; it was pretty good. Madame L talks a little about her enthusiasm for petit verdot, the Bernadotte property, and amazingly enough a new project in South Africa.

If one has fondness for Pichon Lalande in the 1978 to 2018? era I think you would enjoy