Wine Prices Reset Due to Covid-19 Recession

A certain oft discussed Dallas retailer…call it go’s, no wait po’s, if anything has gone up [snort.gif]
I got some really solid deals back in the downturn of 07/08, but I also passed up some I wish I’d jumped on. I swore if I ever got another chance like that I’d go deep, we’ll see what happens I guess.

Some of the most expensive wine in town…

How many restaurants are buying?

The likelihood is quite high given the drop in demand that will take place due to millions of job losses and other oncoming financial strains. The stress hasn’t fully rippled through the economy yet so most wine prices are stable. Of course, governments are trying to prop up demand with money printing, but that likely won’t be enough to mask the underlying problem.

Not sure where you are finding bargains as I am seeing none of it, except for $300 Burgundies going down $50 (whoo-hoo!).

Doubt prices will go down much with our government throwing trillions of dollars our way…Free money! Has to go somewhere and most likely liquid assets of some sort. Party on guys!

Not seeing any meaningful sales from where I’m sitting either. Sure, the occasional deal, but nothing across-the-board or out of the ordinary. I agree that retail may be moderately strong for the time being with everyone at home and that they are trying to avoid cutting prices for a long as possible.

Lots of restaurants doing 50% off of their list to generate cash flow. Depending on the markup, there have been some great deals but mostly at the high end. Restaurants seem like the place where deals will be best in the immediate future. Will move up the supply chain as this environment is prolonged.

I love how one of my fave retailers - perhaps a wee bit out of touch, perhaps not - keeps sending out 2x daily emailers, and invariably one of those wines is $250+. I assume is buying those big guns.

I have the exact same hunch. Seeing more back channel dumps, but publicly no one wants to devalue future pricing.

Yeah, I know there’s some secret pricing that Po**'s offers some customers, but the pricing I’ve seen is more like restaurant markups. They’d have to come down a ton to beat the prices I get from my other “sources”. :slight_smile:

Anyone seen deals on Salon 08 yet?

[snort.gif]

definitely seen some ‘unicorn’ wines available at more reasonable prices than before. i am sure with a large portion of restaurants failing to reopen there will be some serious consequences in the future. i don’t believe people will be guarding any particular labels like has definitely become the norm in recent years.

People are buying alcohol like it’s Christmas every day. Maybe after this is all over there will be a slump, but for now, heck no.

Don’t you think a lot of the massive increases are cheaper or products less than $20.00. I am even looking for that great deal and hesitate to spend more than $50 for a bottle. Part of that is this time a year golf membership is on the credit card.

I don’t buy very high-end wines, but from the offers I’ve been receiving over the past few weeks, I’m not seeing any major reduction in prices. Maybe that will change over the coming weeks and months? But what I have seen is a huge increase in the number of offers, so maybe that’s a leading indicator.

Certainly no reduction in daily offers! Agree not seeing any wonderful deals right now.

my take. Lower end wine will take a big hit. Especially with the previously discussed increased supply. but with the new free money the high end will stay solid. Plus this recession is hitting the poor hard.

+1. Looks like some retailers are in a parallel universe unaffected by current events.

I think it is a matter of retailers needing to keep the wine moving – bottles don’t stop coming in the door just because some regulars stop buying them! Anecdotally I have been receiving offers for wines I have not previously been given access to. Especially with expensive but highly-allocated wines, there are undoubtedly plenty of people waiting in line for a chance to bite, despite high prices.

That might not be incorrect…

Truth 2 Power !