Wine pricing bubble? Thoughts?

[winner.gif]

I understand that the timing of OP’s question was not great, and of course all my sympathies go to those affected by the fires right now.

But it’s a valid question to ask whether wine prices can continue to appreciate given all of the headwinds this year. If you find insult in even the premise of the question, or if you feel that this thread is comprised of a bunch of vultures asking “WHUR MUH DEALS AT”, then you really shouldn’t be posting here. Let alone insulting people for even bringing up the topic. Take a seat, turn off the computer, and focus on something else because you are not adding any value to the discussion.

The question is a reasonable one. I took great offense to almost every word of your prior galling post, and I am not a victim of the fires or the economy.

John,

It is now clear that you were just trolling for confirmation in order to make a killing at the expense of wineries or importers in distress. Nothing more, nothing less.

This makes sense to me though I’m a bit more bullish on Germany, especially high-end Germany.

I’m not the one in this thread dropping F bombs at potential customers [shrug.gif]

I’d describe the now edited post above mine as upset. Nice condescension followed by massive backpedalling, though. Is a 15% market correction in Krug really what you were talking about? Clos du Mesnil is 5+ times what it was when I first had it, back when 1990 was the current release. Looks like the current release now is '04. So, at least a 500% increase in 15 years, but a 15% drop would be the bubble popping? Your response here sounds dishonest, to put in nicely.

As I said, presumably that means they’re distressed, which is not a good thing to be hoping for. Taking advantage of a deal is fine. But, as I noted (and Hardy demonstrated) many west coast producers are hurting, they’re under existential threat. So, a better focus would be looking to support producers you’d like to see continue to exist.

Thank you for explaining, Wes.

Whoa, I think we should all just take a step back. I think it is quite reasonable to suppose that asking about Ca wine deals when we are in the throes of a major life catastrophe is more than a little insensitive. There is no need to go there. Many will be forced to make difficult decisions in order to keep their businesses, and lives in some sort of order. We all get that. But here is no need to be gleeful about it or congratulate oneself on how canny a buyer you are because of a natural disaster.

To be more positive about it, just bid on several auction deal at Acker that will benefit restaurant workers in NYC impacted by the pandemic. Did I get a deal on the couple of lots I bought? Maybe. But it felt good to do something related to wine that can positive (please edit out your comments about Acker, Rudy, why you don’t do business with them, etc…I know I know. But lets give them some credit when there IS a positive event associated with the biz)

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a similar theme to a west coast wine sale that has some benefit from those burned out in the fire? We could get some nice wines, they could get a bit of cash flow. Nobody has to feel like a vulture picking over a carcass.

On the other hand, getting the benefit of a bursting bubble with some hideously priced Burgundy might feel awful nice. I don’t know about you, but I am getting an awful lot of offers for high end Roumier, DRC, Rousseau, etc from retailers. Seems the supply is pretty good if you want to pay top dollar. 2017 also seems to be hitting my mailbox every day. If they are so rare and in demand, where are all those clique “Asian buyers” who should be scooping those wines up? Fashions come and go, it is not impossible for Burgundy to fall out of fashion again. I know this is a contrarian view, but someone had to decide that all those rare tulip bulbs were just flowers, not nirvana. It’s still just wine.

I couldn’t read all the back and forth here. I may well lose my home tonight, and my vineyard from which I produce wines, and my pet, and someone is insensitive enough to ask if he might enjoy the spoils of my heartache? Go away.

Wishing you all the luck in the world tonight Merrill.

Same here Merrill

This should be universal for all of us.

I don’t think a pricing bubble necessarily has to do with acute hardships/tragedies, but the marketplace being too far out of equilibrium for too long and correcting. I’m pretty surprised several people seem to have read into the original post that the original poster was trying to see where he could take advantage or desperate or hurting suppliers (but it’s possible that I’m the one misreading the post).

Anyway, I think this is an interesting question. While the price of a lot of wine has seems to have appreciated much more than inflation over the same period of time and as wage growth has been moving relatively downward and on less than stellar trend since the start of this millennium, I wouldn’t blame anyone for thinking there was a bubble. However, I think the people buying the wine that is appreciating the most and is the most expensive are generally a very fortunate/well-off tiny minority of the population, and a minority that has seen much better wage growth than the general population. As long as the rich continue the trend and keep getting richer (or are already so rich that it doesn’t matter), I wouldn’t expect to see a wine bubble burst. I guess, we shall see.

My sympathy no words are adequate! My post was not meant to be insensitive.

To be clear my hostile friend…I buy very little california wine. My post was very clear. You have interpreted it poorly. I am embarrassed for you.

Thank you. This was my question and intent!

Have followed the thread, I think it was the “fires may force sale of libraries for cash flow” remark that upset some people. I don’t think that was the focus of your own interest, but it’s also not surprising that people still dealing with the fires were upset by the remark.

-Al