Wine-related 'gadgets' you can't live without

A bottle. I really hate it when it comes in a box or a can or, heaven forbid, one of those single serve plastic “glasses.”

If we did not already have our black lab weather vane would get this

1 Like

Corkscrew. Decanter. Wine glass. This is the complete list of my wine gadgets.

I could live without the decanter and the wine glass. I own a coravin, use it only for professional tasting and that rarely.

Dan Kravitz

Wine carriers and wine luggage. For going to a restaurant, a 2-bottle and a 6-bottle tote. For going on a plane, a Wine Cruzer Pelican case with foam cutouts for 5 bottles and a mag and the Wine Check with a 12-bottle styro insert.

A Durand, an original Screwpull, an Ah-So, and a Teflon-coated Pulltaps for opening bottles.

I assume wine glasses don’t count. But I’m definitely not drinking straight from the bottle. Not even large format Mouton.

Everything else gathers dust or gets given away.

for the cellar
wifi temp and humidity monitoring

for the bottle
unbleached cheese cloth
left handed waiters corkscrew
durand
port tongs
glass funnel
decanter
375 bottles with cork t-stoppers

for the wines
gg glasses

Disclosure - I open and drink a LOT of port

Nobody mentioned a credit card. ???

+1

No, because then you’ll post a new thread on the evils of consumer credit and how it’s killing us all. We don’t need any more negativity neener

I use this for transporting bottles for travel or offlines:

Bags I use for bringing a bottle to dinner or gifts. The top of bottle does stick out which is annoying, but still work well, and I think a nice alternative to gift bags… and more reusable since you can just stuff the bag back into your jacket.

I’m sure I’ve posted about this before, but for offlines this thing is rock solid. Can hold 6 stems if I really squeeze them in there and I’ve never broken a single stem with. Holds everything from flutes to the Riedel OR PN glasses.

Pay off the balance every month, or suffer Wine Negam-Aki! neener neener

Love my Zaltos

I always do…but that won’t stop you from posting a thread about the dangers of consumer credit…to add to the many other ‘dangers’ threads

An Ah So costs 10 bucks. A corkscrew costs 10 bucks. One of each that fit together costs $200!? Come on man. I want one, but I struggle with that. I sure wish I thought of it.

Jeff

the key is the “fit together” part (and the build quality). I won’t defend the price, but it was a one-time investment and I don’t expect ever to need another; it will last forever. (Actually, when I wasn’t looking my wife bought a second one to pack with our beach stuff, so I do have two)

What kind of wine do you regularly take to the beach that requires a Durand to reliably open? [scratch.gif]

we decamp with cases of the good stuff. I use the durand to open just about everything 20 years or older

Do you spend time at the beach, or just drink 20+ year old wine in a place near the beach?

-Al

Decanter
Waiter’s corkscrew

Durand
Wine glass tote

There are other things, too, but those 4 are extremely important to me.

I keep thinking that the Durand concept is too “obvious” to be patentable, and I’m waiting for someone to make a $20 knockoff and challenge the patent.