Wine-Searcher selling info to eBay ???

Deleted due to duplicate post

Rick, definitely!

Any ad using third party data/cookies is supposed to have the adchoices icon, the sideways blue triangle that appears on many display ads (it can be seen on the ad below the wine ad in the eBay screenshot). This is an effort by those in the industry to self-regulate and offer users the ability not to be served targeted ads. It’s discouraging that the service who placed the wine ad is not using it, instead saying it’s a suggestion.

As someone in the industry I believe targeted ads are good for all involved including the user - as a 30 y.o. male, I’d rather see a Porsche ad than a tampax ad, or shiner beer over sunny d. At the same time, many consider this a privacy issue and I respect their right to opt out and not receive targeted ads.

In the US there are several points where all internet traffic passes through major gateways to be monitored by the NSA. Thankfully that data is not sold to advertisers as of now. [snort.gif]

Really Nathan? The guy is attempting to educate you.

A case of “kill the messenger” I’m afraid.

I don’t get it.

What I don’t understand is…why are you still interested in Saab? :wink:

What, you’d like to hear my [sunglasses] Saab story?

You’re a paranoid idiot Nathan. Welcome to the ignore list. At least that way I won’t be tempted to answer any of your tinfoil hat conspiracy issues every again.

Rick pretty much nailed the description of third-party ads work. While some people find the cookie “creepy”, it also can make for a much better internet experience, assuming you’re being served ads that are compelling and relevant to you. I’ve had some first-hand benefits of discovering, and subsequently buying, items I was looking for through a 3rd party ad… but never wine.

Stay tuned for FB’s competing product to Google AdSense… it could make for an even creepier internet experience! I’ll be getting served up ads and offers for Chave in no time!

And Facebook HAS and TRACKS personnel information, you’ve given it to them.

There is even more personal information that some may not realize is not so private anymore. If you let Facebook sync up with your smartphone’s contacts then FB now has a copy of your contact db. If you have written notes in a contact field they now have that as well. Every time you “like” something your specific demographic becomes more known. What FB has done is truly amazing, they probably have the best demographic db by far!

FB just need to buy intuit (QuickBooks, Quicken, TurboTax, http://www.mint.com) and they’ll have everything important on a person.

But will they ever make any money with it? Their offering reminded me of Netscape in the mid 90’s. A friend said at the time, “there is a lot of sizzle but no stake”. I still think at some point FB will be a good buy given what they know about their user’s.

Rick,

Thanks for the Ghostery extension. I don’t dabble much in this area anymore and it is nice to learn some new stuff. I use DoNotTrackMe, but it does not have the breadth of Ghostery or maybe I probably needed an update.

Ken

Jon, Facebook’s product is out already, but it requires using a tech/media partner to plug-in to it. Look up “Facebook Exchange” or “FBX”.

FBX overview

That’s a good overview though it has some spin due to “retargeting” being AdRoll’s core business.

There are tons of different forms of targeting (via first and third party data - i.e. behavioral targeting as Rick explained, search retargeting, contextual targeting, demographic targeting, targeting based on offline attributes, etc.), which can now be used for Facebook ads, just as they have been used for some time with display ads.

Thank you Rick. Just finished blocking third party cookies.

Randy - I didn’t mention it above but to make this work you’ll want to clear the third party cookies out. You can delete all cookies but then you’ll have to relogin to sites like WB. Sadly, there’s no easy way to tell a browser to delete all third party cookies. Check out Ghostery (link above) to see if they do this.

FBX is definitely interesting and I didn’t know much about it until doing a little more research, but all of the FBX ads are delivered natively on FB, whereas their coming AdSense competitor will likely deliver ads outside of FB, leveraging your FB data.