Wine Spectator Top 100 Thread

I’m more curious as to why they put a '16 CDP and a '16 Napa Cab on top 10 list when both of those vintages are 2 years behind and not considered “newly released this year.” 17 CDP was a decent vintage, not as amazing as 16. I know 17 was the fire vintage in Napa so were there no worthy 17 Napa Cabs to make the top 10?

Part of the WS Top 100 is that these wines are available to most consumers. I think they’re blurring the lines a bit with that one.

Im gonna go with 2016 Scavino Bric Del Fiasc.

Mayacamas’ most recent release is the 2016. I suspect the same for the CDP.

My guess is the Volpaia 2016 CC reserva. It was rated way back in Feb. so that may hurt it a little. 97 points, $40, 3000-some cases imported. The 2015 scored 96 and
was #3 last year. The 16 is even better. Still it’s basically a crap shoot. There are many wines with scores >95 and prices <$100 that I would consider better values than what has been selected so far. Value is supposed to play a part.

1 Like

Cinq Cepages!
BV Tapestry!

I’d guess it will be a 2016 Bordeaux. Already 2 Italians in top 10, already a Champagne, CA Cab and Pinot. Doubtful it is Oz or South America.

Not sure a Spanish wine has ever been there, so maybe that too.

They seem to use #1 to “discover” regions.

2016 Bordeaux were so last year. It’s got to be either a 2020 release of a 2016 Barolo or a 2015 Brunello.

1 Like

Is that the secret red stripe Mayacamas, or the Mayacamus Mayacamus?

On the other hand, Mayacamas cab is fairly the opposite of the WBer stereotype of “Napa cabs that get high scores from Wine Spectator,” so it’s interesting in the other direction too.

2004 CVNE Imperial Riserva was #1 a few years back

That’s a good pick and has potential, considering their 2015 was actually selected #3 in 2018.

My guess is a 2019 Mosel. Maybe a Prum auslese (remember with the 01 GH auslese was atop the list?) or maybe something a little less avaulable, like a Schaefer spatlese.

No way. This is a popularity contest (they even say there is an undefinable excitement factor) and Marvin Shanken will never allow a Riesling to be #1. Just look at his picture at the beginning of every issue. He never holds a glass with white wine. I just looked through the lists and the last white to win #1 was in 2004, the 2001 Chateau Rieussac Sauternes. The top 10 has been so red heavy this year that a white is possible, but if so, you can be sure it will be something with oak from California or France.

I love Riesling and so I would happily eat [or perhaps drink] my words tomorrow.

Another Rioja. Interesting.

#1 2010 Bodegas Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial

Clean sweep for me. I own nothing in the top 10.

Tom

I think its worse when you actually have the producers but not the bottling. I did get a few to try. Rioja is definitely not an area that have even have explored.

I’m not sure which to be more impressed with – the sales rate, your foresight or your inventory!

1 Like

I always liked this wine. Sad to see it will now cost more - for years I would find it around $79; prices has increased in the last couple of years… I bet next one will be around $120.

1 Like

How do you pronounce Ygay?

EEE-GAY?

1 Like