Wine store in NC (Raleigh, Durham, Apex)

Hi,

Just chiming in here as my parents are now just south of Raleigh in Clayton, and I will be in town a few times a year and would like to start exploring the area.

The wife’s job just recently moved from the Charlotte area to Research Triangle. We’re renting an apartment in Cary and I’m starting to explore the area so thanks for all the info so far.

We have had one excellent dining experience at Elaine’s on Franklin in Chapel Hill. If you get there a bit early (between 5:30 and 6:30 pm) they have a three course prix fixe for $35 or $50 with wine pairing.

I’ll also 2nd the Winestore as I’m a frequent customer at their Cornelius shop.

Definitely interested in offline opportunities as well.

Are you available for Dec 21 (this fri) or dec 22 dinner if we can get few more people?

Yong - sorry but we’re out of town until after the New Year.

BTW, went to The Wine Merchant in Cary yesterday and met the owners Kurt and Justin. Nice shop, interesting selection and really nice folks

Went to Bida manda yesterday night. Food was good. Service was good. Food wasnt spicy enough. We asked for hottest possible and it was mild.

Matt from winestore helped me locate a bottle of Prager. Very helpful guy.

Will check out Rue Cler for lunch today.

+1, I partnered with Eric and am selling out of his hop currently

Yong, as Wine Solutions, I operate out of Apex Fine Wine. I have been looking to try and kick-start an offline group down here. I can introduce you to some other collectors as well in the area. Maybe we can team up? If you are looking for some great wines too we can certainly get some great stuff your way at fair prices. NC is an odd place where the distributors price liek its a 4 tier system. I can explain more but Eric and I have figured out what we feel is the best way to offer competitive national pricing for top wines.

I am putting together a dinner at Kitchen in Chapel Hill, we’d byo a theme and the food is excellent classic French Bistro. Owned and operated by a husband and wife team.

There is also a blind tasting group I can introduce you to that meets once a week. Since it is a good amount of trade folks, it dies down in the busy holiday season and summer. But we should be getting re-started in January after the holidays.

Hope you enjoyed lunch today. You missed our Champagne dinner by a day, unfortunately.

Nathan, your menu and wine list make me wish I lived in the Triangle! I may need to convince at least one of my kids to visit some colleges down there this year just to eat at Rue Cler.

Ate at Rue Cler for lunch. Ordered Onion Soup and croque madame. Good food and hit the spot. I was going to order wine off the wine list but my body refused to drink more alcohol after yesterday’s 10 hour of drinking.

I went to Raleigh wine Shop. They didnt have stuff i was looking for and I was pretty surprised that their selection was very small but they were very helpful.
Ate dinner at Sushi Thai. Upon entering, I spoke to the owner who is Japanese and i could already tell the food will be good. Ordered sushi/sashimi boat. Their fish was quality fish. Fresh and clean.

Would like to meet up for an offline with Tom and others next time i’m down.

I dont have a Costco membership so i dont know the things they carry but I went today with my friend and I saw huge king crab legs and huge fat lobster tails. Omg they looked so goooood. I will have to check out Costco when i go back home.

I happened to be in Durham Thursday.

I was not there to shop for wine, but I saw a store Wine Authorities and stopped in.

Looks like their entire inventory is in the floor (no back stock). Wide array of European wines - a Rolet vin Jaune, a Rolet rouge, Tondonia, plenty of value wines and decent buys up to $60.

I have bought online from TK and Apex, and years ago would go to Southern Season and it had a very broad selection.

Don’t get there too much but could be up for an offline sometime.

Hi Karl! :wave:t3:

Yong give me a heads up next time you are down this way.

Yong, you were posting on a different dim sum thread just now. There are two places I like here, Hong Kong in Durham and Brewery Bhavana in downtown Raleigh. Hong Kong is traditional and relatively inexpensive, BB is upscale, both good to very good.

Also Great Grapes in Cary came up in a wine searcher search for something I was looking for (Egly). First time there in years, a fairly interesting selection there.

My friend also liked Brewery Bhavana a lot. I will have to check it out next time.

Hey did you guys get together for an offline? I just joined and would love to meet other wine enthusiasts in the area. Whether to learn or share special bottles etc.

As the weather is starting to warm up I may be spending more time in Charlotte than Raleigh but would definitely head to our Cary apartment for any offlines anyone would like to put together.

I’ve been scouring the areas wine shops in my hunt for wine made from obscure/rare grapes. I’ve found that the Triangle Wine Co. and Wine Authorities stock a good bit of interesting oddities.

+1 on both Brewery Bhavana and Rue Cler, next stop is Death and Taxes.

Tom K., I couldn’t find Apex Fine Wine, have they’ve moved or was I in the wrong place (off Hwy 64 across from MacGregor Downs?).

Hey Roger we are on the second floor #204. Come on by some time. We are closed Mondays and Sundays. 11-7 otherwise.

I have a few friends I have made here that would be into an offline, casual or more formal in setting or rules/topics.

Hi Tantina, welcome! Are you new to the Triangle or just this forum/board?

I moved here last June from NYC and have been makong good and connections with the wine folks in the area.

There is a blind tasting group that meets every Monday morning.

Then there are a few people that are friends that get together to just open serious wines with each other.

Thanks Tom! I will PM you for further details.

I have lived in the Triangle area since 2003. I have a lot of friends who love to drink my wine [cry.gif] , but I don’t have any friends who are serious about wine. Hoping to connect with others who are as passionate as I am about wine and particularly pinot noir <3