Wine tasting - Inside vs. Outside

This should be mandatory after every opinion posted like it was a scientific fact. Perfect!

Im in the camp of preferring to taste inside. Ive paid attention to this for many years and done comparative tastings. I`ve noticed the aromatics seem to dissipate outside in open air much faster and certain nuances seem to be more difficult to access as well. I know of some producers who insist on tasting their wines inside with similar considerations. And, yes, the proper wine glass makes a big difference in this regard as well.

Here is a link to a study that demonstrates a link between the soundscape and taste perceptions. This is at a very crude level, but hints that the influence is real and effects can be generalized.

P Hickner

Love it. Great info. Also love the source from the Lawrence Kansas bar. My peeps. Many thanks

So wine for most people is a ‘whole experience’ kind of thing. So if you aren’t tasting professionally, other sense inputs from the setting are going to play off of your senses. From a technical perspective, tasting outside will 9 times out of 10 deaden smell/flavor, but if you aren’t doing this professionally for luxury wines, taste where you want to taste!

Granted, the indoor conditions should be good and constant as well…which isn’t always the case

Wine for most people is a beverage, not an experience. It’s not as harsh as hard liquor but still has alcohol.

Only geeks that reside here or similar places deep inside the hobby or profession treat it as an experience.

Air temperature is far and away the biggest factor for wine tastings. Yes cooking in the house, or environmental factors outside do play a minor role, however its the air temperature that is critical for maximum enjoyment. I fluctuate from our living room, to the patio or balcony, depending in large part to air temperature. Yesterday evening it was a cool 64-65 degrees in the house, so I enjoyed my Zin inside, and it was fabulous. During warmer days, when the inside temperature reaches 75 degrees, then I’ll wait until the outside temperature drops down to about 68 degrees. During a rare heat wave here in Sonoma County, I don’t bother with wine.

Nothing will ruin a wine experience more than warm air temperature. Even temperatures in the mid 70’s are pushing it. I have found the optimal temperature for me is in the low to mid 60’s. If the air temperatures are equal, then I do have a preference for an outdoor tasting.

That gives me an idea… Wine Berserker merchandise with thermometers and humidity gauges attached! Imagine having both on the back of the new & improved Berserker lapel pin! [wow.gif]