Wine writing scandal of the week...

The Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio is likely the worst value Pinot Grigio in any store!

Regarding Dr. Vine, it’s amazing how many people are doomed by their last name. When I was consulting at Coors a couple of decades ago, a Mr. Malter was in fact the guy responsible for malting the grain, and you all know what a Mr. Brewer did for his paycheck!

Of course, my ophthalmologist is Dr. Glasser!

1 Like

Try Mandeep Singh my buddy, who is a urologist. Game set and match :wink:

Is she related to Mishy?? [wink.gif] blush [wow.gif]

…and Harry Beaver, the OB-GYN

Went to her site where there is a video in which she pairs Wines with Books… [scratch.gif]

She is kinda cute so, [ken.gif]

TTT

Geez, you wine consumers demanding some actual integrity from your wine reviewers. Who do you guys think you are anyways? [swearing.gif] What planet do you live on, let me know because it must be nice to visit a place where wine critics both have integrity and make a good living. Was anyone really surprised to be reading about this? I don’t give her or any other wine critic my money and if anyone else does or did… she deserves to get rich off of their lack of due dilligence and care and assuming her professional status meant she was ethical.

Show me an honest wine reviewer who gives their opinion out for free and I’ll show you either a poor wine critic or a Wine Berserker and/or CellarTracker member who needs to make a living at a real job in order to support their wine habits and give away reviews for free. neener

The wine world is very incestuous and closed off which is how wine critics manage to get away with schemes like this. The internet has helped open things up so I always get the majority of my opinions from this board and CellarTracker. Hopefully, it will eventually help eradicate scandals altogether as more and more of them are brought to light.

Natalie responds:

But, she added that ‘for all reviews previously quoted, please know that I am working to revise the way I format third party reviews to cite full names and publication details’.

Yeah…I guess she just forgot to add the attribution.

She was defensive over the copyright infringement claim. ‘I have had a thorough discussion with a legal expert on copyright and know that what I am doing now and what I will be doing in the future is not only legal, but right,’ she said.

But, she added that ‘for all reviews previously quoted, please know that I am working to revise the way I format third party reviews to cite full names and publication details’.

She needs to find a better lawyer. Copying entire works isn’t legal regardless of attribution.

1 Like

Her lawyer said it was! You can even ask her dad!

Palate Press again with the smoking gun, an e-mail thread between her and a winery about pay for play:

http://palatepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/MacLean-email-2-flattened.pdf

Lots of followup commentary here:

http://palatepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/MacLean-email-2-flattened.pdf

No lawyer would be so incompetent as to advise her that copying other critics’ notes and scores wholesale and republishing them for profit is defensible under fair use. Right? Isn’t legal advice that bad grounds for disbarment? Sort of like a doctor amputating the wrong limb while high on Vicodin?

Chris, I respect your opinions expressed above, and unlike you, I am not a follower of that woman, Ms. MacLean. However, I have just waded through the comments on the Palate Press website, and given the damning and conclusive evidence presented against her, I would question whether she even wrote any of her award-winning pieces. The woman is a hustler and a complete fraud, guilty of pay-for-play, copyright infringement, sock puppetry and all manner of self-absorbed and rude behavior. (A poster there even threw in public drunkenness for good measure.) The only thing that seems sure to be hers is her perfect hair, and she pays somebody to create that for her. I suppose that we should all be happy that she doesn’t try to charge her stylist for the privilege of doing her hair. Narcissism, thy name is Nat!

Lol, great post…

I am not sure that Roberto’s link to the comments section of Palate Press works, but everybody should go over there and read every last comment. It is an education in the crap being pulled by the third-rate Pied Pipers that we call wine critics. Maybe analyzing the MacLean train wreck will cause a few more wine drinkers to start thinking for themselves instead of being the dead letter boxes for the many critics who are “mailing it in”. If “Nat” has the subscriber one left after this debacle (including family members), somebody needs to put that poor person out of their misery…perhaps by buying him or her a case of Molson!

I say this with all seriousness.
I have never heard of this person before today.

You gave the same link to the same pdf.

Here is the link to the article, with a link to the pdf at the bottom and comments below that:

http://palatepress.com/2012/12/wine/pay-for-play-wine-writing/

Now that I have read them, I am shocked at Alder Yarrow’s comments in particular.

Yeah…that got me too.