Winebid site had problems tonight.

If you won some bids unexpectedly, that would be a Denial of Denial attack.

If you ever read the book the Alchemist, one of the lessons is to heed the omens. Maybe this all was a sign I should stop buying wine online.

Nah.

Now, my Tracking list shows items which have already been sold. But I can still bid on them.

Checked early this morning and happy to see my tracking list has been restored.

Well, I just bid on them, way below both their apparent sale price last night below their fair value. Let us see if I win too. neener

I checked my account this morning, and it looks like I won 4/5 bottles that I was bidding on (and frankly was counting on winning), so all is good on my endā€“except my credit card :slight_smile:

Hi guys, glad to hear most of you got most of your bids (and maybe a few more than expected), and that your tracking lists have been restored. @Wes, I wish we could blame someone else but we wonā€™t. It was basically a Microsoft Azure scaling issue, caused by us. We had actually deployed some code meant to automatically scale up our cloud server capacity on Sunday nights because of the increased volumes weā€™ve been seeing, but it didnā€™t trigger the scale up last night. Weā€™re looking into why that happened and of course are planning on fixing it so we have faster speeds in general! Hope this explanation is helpful. Iā€™ll still be reaching out to all of you privately as well. Happy bidding, tasting and sharing wines (safely-social distancing) and tasting notes. And feel free to reach out to me privately here or at my WineBid email address any time.

I had wines up for sell and most of them sold at a price that I would expect them to sell at. I donā€™t feel like I lost money on the wines. This was the second week of them being on there so most of the wines that sold well above retail sold last week.

I was selling some bottles. Canā€™t say whether the glitch affected overall sale, but it would have been nice to know that the auction ran its full course rather than shutting down in the midst of final bidding being placed.

Also a seller. I was surprised when the usual last minute uptick didnā€™t happen.

My wines seems to be selling at suggested reserve with some of the daily drinkers now seeing a lowering of the reserve. Other sellers seeing the same thing?

And the conspiracy beginsā€¦ neener

In my experience, thatā€™s pretty typical. At least for wines I tend to sell, they donā€™t often generate a lot of counterbidding activity. Then again, Iā€™ve had wines I didnā€™t were particularly special generate a lot of interest. It all depends on if there are two or more people any given week who really want a particular bottle. None of this is a winebid issue, itā€™s all dependent on what wines youā€™re selling.

Since Russ is checking in here, I have mentioned once or twice that I think it would be better if the bid increments didnā€™t suddenly take a jump when a wine crosses the price threshold. Iā€™ve seen that throw cold water on an ongoing bidding war. Donā€™t know if thatā€™s changed or not.

I wonder what percent of bids happen in the last 10 minutes?

Hmm, here is where my approach worked, I always place early bets. Won a couple things last night.

I too was pleasantly surprised to have a few winning bids this morning. Though I am a bottom feeder and not much of the plonk I bid on gets action like the big boys.

I would have bid up a bottle if I had been able to get on. Although I also appreciate Russā€™s owning the issue and that this kind of failure happens.

Ha, you sound like me. I love grabbing the daily drinkers.

I got two older Aglianicos for a song. They had a lot of watchers so maybe the blackout saved me. I was waiting to make sure I got these two and was going to add a third bottle. So I got the two and the third I was going to bid on last night dropped $5. Better to be lucky than good.

Iā€™m not that worried about it. Probably cost me not more than $10-15.

Two time loser; I lost on both ends. I was selling bottles. I was also a buyer and when someone sniped the '09 Vilmart Rubis I had bid on early, I couldnā€™t up my bid to reclaim them. Annoying, but a first world problem, and stuff happens. I wonā€™t die of thirst (or alcohol withdrawal) any time soon.

Cheers,
Warren