Wineries at 2022 IPNC

Yet the last time they held the event, there were three - Gainey, Laetitia, Sanford.

Rick,

John was giving me crap about rhe usage of ‘Central Coast’ to cover way too broad of a region. Of the wineries mentioned, 2 are from SB County and one is from SLO County.

Cheers

A lot of California wineries wanted to participate because they saw it as a ticket to wine sales. Frankly, IPNC is a lot of fun, if your liver holds up, but the price is steep. The allocated wineries see no reason to sign up other than having a good time. For many others it’s expensive. There are a lot more pinot noir themed events now, like Pinot Forum and WOPN. I haven’t been to IPNC for a long time but it seems to me you end up tasting somebody’s Volnay in 95 F weather. The salmon BBQ can be great.

One of the best lines ever was at the brunch the next day, when Dave Lett asked how much blood people had lost through their eyeballs.

What is the price of the whole event? I know it is sold out so does not show.

It is about $1,400 and includes 2 days of Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner plus Sunday Brunch and 2 full days of Seminars and Tasting Events held on campus plus an in-depth seminar at a winery location.

It’s solid value compared to other such events.

1 Like

Good point. It’s true that if one were to have wines that fit the various Alfresco themes, we could show at multiple events. But I’m pretty solidly a Pinot-only producer at this point. (I will be making Chardonnay in 2022, but it will likely take me a few vintages to lock it in : ). Still, I think it’s probably worthwhile given the cachet of being selected as a top Pinot wine maker.

1 Like

It’s alway been a “you’re or you’re not” situation at IPNC. A winery is a participant in everything, or nothing. Some try to “work it” by buying Salmon Bake tickets and spreading their wine around the event, but that’s not a good environment to tell your story so I don’t think it would be productive.

Not bad at all. Would be triple that in Napa or more!

1 Like

Hey All! We are staying in Downtown McMinnville if anyone wants to join us for some after dinner tastings PM me or shoot me a text. So hot here but enjoying some great tastings so far at Walter Scott and Kelly Fox. Gonna taste with Vincent and Arterberry Maresh at the Red Barn tomorrow before the Salmon Bake.

Sean
Mobile: 919-740-4344

Wish I could! I’ve been advocating IPNC move to the last weekend in May due to the heat this past decade. I actually had been asking for June, but last year we had all time high temps. that week. If you all agree, send a note to the IPNC organizers : )

2 Likes

Agreed. Its so hot Rick Allen shut down the Heater Allen Taproom and I got an email from Martha Maresh over the at Red Barn saying Arterberry Maresh is cancelling tastings the rest of the weekend due to the heat. Still going to be a nice Saturday tasting at PGC, Vincent and Championship Bottle.

Sean

Another great tasting at PGC this morning with Abighail. 2019 Lineup was solid across the board. I was really enjoying the Marine sedimentary Pinot Noir. 2019 Chardonnay was excellent. Thanks for restarting this program. Headed to the Salmon Bake tonight will be pouring a 2004 PGC Notorious from Magnum, as some burgs and Sandar & Hem.

Off to catch up with Vincent and Saul and get my sweat on out at Grochau cellars.

PGC_IPNC_2022.jpg
WR.jpg
Sean

2 Likes

Awesome Tasting with Dustin at Kelly Fox yesterday. Such good wines across the board. reminds me very much of goodfellow…
KF.jpg
Dustin recommended checking out De Ponte in Dundee Hills as well. The wines were very good but the views were awesome…
DePonte.jpg

2 Likes

Is there a scheduling conflict with Linfield? I agree they need to move it earlier just after graduation in May or early June. Plus many of those dorms they have people staying in don’t have A/C. Maybe the college needs time to clean up after the students move out.

1 Like

The only year I attended the Sunday tasting at Linfield (2016 IIRC), I was so hot from bike riding all morning that I had zero interest in drinking Pinot. My alcohol consumption that afternoon at the tasting was 80% Heater Allen Pils/20% Pinot.

The end of May or early June is a great idea.

1 Like

De Ponte is a winery I have not thought about in years. One of the wineries we visited on our first WV trip in 2007. Recall really enjoying their Melon de Bourgogne more than anything, but thought the Pinots were solid. What was your take on their wines now, Sean?

Linfield is busy pretty much all the time. A lot of football and soccer camps go on there, especially earlier in the summer. I’m told that the reason for doing IPNC when they do is because that weekend has the least chance of rain during the year. Linfield (actually McMinnville) doesn’t have a venue big enough to host the event indoors. Historically, June can get pretty wet. For example, this year, the first three weekends in June would have had rain, and the fourth had temperatures in the 90s - not much different than now. It’s pretty much always hot for the event, though I’ll admit that this year is a good 5-10 degrees hotter than usual. You just have to plan accordingly (and drink lots of beer).

1 Like

Good point about the outdoor events but I still think the organizers need to rethink. Cold and wet June or May weather will become increasingly rare no doubt, and more tents/shifting the programming a bit would be preferable to the (almost guaranteed) heat in my opinion. Many of the vineyard/winery-based programs I have attended were for the most part in the cellar/production area or a covered patio (for the shade) but yeah, the marquee events would require extra planning and cost.

I’ve enjoyed tasting there a couple of times. Agree that the highlight was the Melon de Bourgogne.

1 Like

See you today Todd.