wineries shipping bottles with no capsules??

From the Wikipedia on “wine bottle”: “Capsules were historically made of lead, and protected the cork from being gnawed away by rodents or infested with cork weevil.” Not as romantic as your understanding, but more likely to be true. Since I have neither rodents nor weevils in my cellar, a capsule is a waste and a nuisance.

No capsule for Harlan.

I’m fine with no capsules; the one I’m familiar with is Nikolaihof, which David mentioned. I do think however, that in some producers’ cellars insects boring into bare corks have been a problem; Zind Humbrecht comes to mind in this regard.

Here’s the time line as I know it:

Brian Loring was ‘first’. Before he was screwcap he was no capsule and made the decision as he could find no good reason to put a capsule on other than decoration, at least that’s what he had on his website circa 2002-2003. Wells Guthrie was also ‘sans’ capsule from about the same time (1998,1999ish). Both Brian and Wells offered advice to me on things like compliance and shipping and the ugly logistical things in starting a winery. We did no capsule in part as an ode to those two for the help they had given us. This is 2005.

In 2007 I crushed about 40% of my production with Bradley at Big Basin. He was already thinking of getting rid of the capsules and going to lighter bottles, both things I was doing. He quizzed me about both, especially consumer acceptance and in 2008 he was making the switch. Also in 2008 I was selling fruit to Bradley and Pax. Bradley talked with Pax about smaller bottles and no capsule during harvest that year. I don’t know if Pax was already thinking about it, but third hand Bradley told me he had talked Pax into it.

Brian usually gets left out of this discussion when it comes up, but in my mind he was the pioneer.

Nikolaihof started with the '99 vintage (perhaps earlier, but that’s the oldest in my cellar).

Early, but not first. Robert Mondavi’s Carneros Chardonnay and Pinot Noir were bottled sans capsule starting in 1993, followed by the rest of his Napa Valley lineup (in the flange bottle) in 1994.

The Bedrock bottles touched off a debate about capsules in our house. The capsules clearly give my wife a sense of comfort that the wine hasn’t been tampered with. Maybe this means something when buying from a 3rd party, but winery direct I’m perfectly happy to have no capsule.

It’s funny to see Pax moving away from capsules, as there’s probably nobody whose capsules I’ve cursed more than his (until I figured out how to deal with wax, that is).

Kudos to a well thought out position!

Have you ever considered that the reason you have no rodents or weevils in your cellar may be because the capsules are doing their job? Hmmm? [tease.gif]

I had the same reaction with bedrock last year but it makes them easy to select.

Mark, thread drift, but love the huskies.

I’ve had mice gnaw on the capsules of sweet wines. Fuckers.

But I also have otherwise been stumped as to what practical purpose it could serve. (First thought being, if one has a bad cork, the capsule isn’t going to save the wine.)

I think Vice-Versa might be one too.

Mondavi

Byron
Caps crown

The Zepaltas RRV Chardonnay comes without a capsule, too. If you’ve ever had the WesMar Sur Lees Pinot, also capsule-less. It doesn’t bother me at all.

Edmunds St. John is doing a few wines without capsules.

Torbreck

On wines where I cannot 100% guarantee provenance, I cut the capsules off before I store them. If I have multiples of the same bottling and one has more stained cork than others I’ll usually open it sooner. I have no intention of selling for a profit, and people I’d trade with wouldn’t be the people to worry too much about a capsule.