Wines that have significant graphite?

I find that graphite/lead pencil descriptor is caused when (for Cabernet and Franc), a slight amount of pyrazine meets a slight amount of reduction. I adore that aroma. Notice that most of the Bordeaux wines with that aroma mentioned here are from the Left Bank and Cab-heavy. Because that’s where higher ripeness is harder to achieve, thus leaving a bit of pyrazine in the Cab and Franc, which naturally have more of it than any other red varietal in the region. In St. Emilion they are reaching 15% alcohol nowadays so by that point the odds of getting that aroma is likely gone. And in Napa it is harder to get that aroma too, although south of Rutherford gives you a chance if you don’t pick too ripe. It appeals to some and others flee from it. If you are not careful, the pyrazines can provide bell pepper or veggie aromas. But if you can get it ripe enough to hold a little black or green olive in the flavor profile and then it gets some reduction… voila! I find the “cigar box” is when you marry the lead pencil aroma to a moderate dose of Taransaud new oak.

5 Likes

Whatever it is you’re smelling, it’s not graphite, because that is odorless. I don’t know what graphite texture or flavor would be, either.

Thanks for the chemistry lesson. That’s very helpful!

Having replaced brushes on large motor-generator sets and being covered head to toe in graphite in the process, I can attest that is has no odor. But what a mess!