Wines you would buy regularly if the prices came down 25%

Oh yeah, and Sadie Family wines.

Try 30-50% if not more.

1 Like

17 DRC is up 30% in a year.

Stop moving the market with your large purchases.

[cheers.gif]

1 Like

A lot of “100 pointers” and WS #1-10s of the top 100 each year.

1 Like

Paolo Bea is another producer that I really like, but every time I look at them, they just seem a little more than I’d be willing to pay, other than the San Valentino.

I would love to try Morgen Long wines–but not at the prices I’ve seen.

That’s an interesting question - What wines are a little too expensive (but not crazy expensive).

My first thought is that it’s relatively common to find wines with a 25% discount if you’re willing to look around and delete 50 emails a day.

Almaviva and Don Melchor come to mind. They have both risen higher in price than I’m willing to pay, but they’re not insanely expensive. I’m a buyer for Clos Apalta at 50% of the current prices.

Maison Leroy Bourgogne’s have increased beyond my comfort level. They’re lovely wines but not at $80.

Sine Qua Non is right at my threshold or a bit over. A 25% haircut would keep me buying it.

1 Like

Not generally in my wine buying zone. I usually stop at $250. If I could find DRC at that price…

I’m a huge Tyler Winery fan, love all of their stuff but particularly the Chardonnay range. I was only on the club list for 2 years and just dropped due to being priced out. Now I hunt auctions to get them for cheaper, but I’d rather buy direct.

The silver lining is that there are some good and very good deals out there on their wines if you hunt around and are flexible about which vineyards and which vintages.

I am stopping (trying at least) all burg purchase…if prices went down 25%, I would load the truck… So, I hope they won’t as I am very weak…

I have mostly not kept track of their prices so I’m not sure if any of these are still within 25%, but these are wines I used to buy and stopped buying when they went over $100 that I would gladly buy again if they were still double digits -

Chave Hermitage
Back vintages of Gentaz (yes, it was so)
Chevillon Vaucrains and LSG
d’Angerville 1ers
Mugnier 1ers (and even, briefly, Moose)
Giacosa B & B
Monprivato
Sass/Orn/Sol aias
Ridge Montebello
LMHB
PLL
Montrose

Probably others but that’s what comes to mind.

There are quite a few producers that fit this criteria for me.

Vilmart
Cedric Bouchard
Ghislaine Barthod
Chevillon
De Montille
Dujac(I wouldn’t buy a lot, but at least a few bottles)
Fourrier
Jobard
Carillon

I would also buy a lot more wines from Piedmont.

I would have bought Aubert at full price when offered if they didn’t require a six-bottle minimum. I couldn’t commit over $700 in one throw, even for wine that has a very long shelf-life. But even at a 25% reduction in price, I would not have made that big a one-time commitment. I’d have paid full price for three or less. So, not quite the same thing, but sort of.

1 Like

Agree on the Leroy, and to your other point, Zachys had the ‘19 Bourgogne Gamay for $43 (“reg.” $95) via email end of August. Of course their shipping killed any significant savings…

A lot, but I don’t sweat it. When my favorites shoot up, I generally move on. There’s just so much good wine out there.

2 Likes

G Rinaldi
La Mission

Same here mate. With the current market, I’m firmly planted in Marsannay. Not really much to grouse about, but not on par with Chambolle.

1 Like

Rhys, Williams Selyem, Bouchard, Taitinger Comtes, probably a few other Burgundy (mostly Volnay).

1 Like