WOTYs--2019 Edition--TABULATIONS COMPLETE (OP)

Elio Sandri is a great producer … I recently bought the Barolo Perno Riserva Vigna Disa 2012.
Cos d’Estournel 1995 a remarkable success for the vintage.

Côte-Rôtie from Olivier … Ravoire ? (never tasted this domain)

It’s been a great year so far!

My favorites:
1996 Giacosa Asili Riserva
2001 Yquem
2010 Bartolo Mascarello
1996 Salon
2005 Boillot Corton-Charlemagne
2009 Dauvissat Clos
2004 Giacosa Rabaja

Discoveries:
2016 Fac-Simile
All of the Lopez de Heredia Gran Reservas

There was a lot of wine in 2019. This past weekend was my 35th birthday, and there were some nice bottles. 91 Roumier BM is a wine I’ve rarely seen before and never tasted, and that was really good. 82 Lafleur was also a treat.

my heart warms that i brought such joy to your year

I think of you often, Charlie. My life is now complete. :slight_smile:.

Woty: 96 drc rsv or 95 krug.
Discovery of the year…how much I dislike Selosse across the board or how great Heitz from the 80s are.

If you think of him at all, that is too often, Bob.

No updates from the mammoth Halpern tasting on Friday, though the 17 De Montille Meursault Poruzots pushed at the edges—an honourable mention?

Paolo Bea does make some fun stuff. Not the Arboreus, but from this past May…

"2015 Paola Bea Santa Chiara Umbria Bianco

Stunning deep bourbon colour. And stunning wine (this is an orange wine). Scents start off sort of a mulchy-mineral mix, but unripe citrus steals in. Tremendous palate presence adds a marzipan component and steely acidity, yet with ripe yellow fruit too and that slight oxidative character that only deepens in elegance through the night…the last sip, 4 hours later, was the best. Huge thanks to Peter for bringing this WOTN, 6 days later it had, of anything, only gotten more energetic and lean—-no honey notes now"

98 Jamet is probably the best wine I’ve had this year.

Krug 164 is probably my favorite wine of 2019 — pitch perfect every time I’ve had it and one for the ages.

My discovery of the year is Bruno Clair. Obviously not an under-the-radar name, but in my view BC is making some of the best Burgundy out there, from some of my favorite vineyards, at not-yet-insane pricing. I’ve started to seek it out.

WOTY (New World) 2016 Myriad Cellars Beckstoffer Dr. Crane - Close to perfection

WOTY (Old world) 1998 Le Vieux Donjon

WOTY will most likely be the 2016 MacDonald CS or the 2016 Vice Versa Platt PN.

More importantly, my discovery of the year is the 2017 River-Marie Platt PN. Really wish I bought more at release.

We tasted at Paolo Bea in May and they didn’t have any of the Santa Chiara to pour for us…all sold already. Maybe you had our bottle!

Quinta do Mourao CL. CL for 150. This is a wood aged port, a blend of 19th century wines with an average age of over 150 years. Perhaps the best wine I’ve had the past 4 or 5 years.

WOTY candidates are mostly Burgs, but a couple of other surprises:

2011 Comte Liger Belair Aux Reignots
1999 Dujac Bonnes Mares
2002 Vogue Bonnes Mares
2015 Comte Liger Belair Clos du Chateau
2002 Jean-Jacques Confuron Romanee Saint-Vivant
1998 Jamet Cote Rotie
2011 Rougeard Les Poyeaux
2005 Egon MullerScharzhofberger Auslese

Discovery - first year drinking Liger Belair … am a fan.
Discovery 2 - Cedric Bouchard bubbly - tastyyyyy

My apologies, the Cote Rotie was Michel Ogier, it was stunning. I only had 1 bottle and enjoyed it enough to source another…

2016 Chateau Gloria
2014 Le Pergole Torte
2007 RM Occidental Ridge PN
2015 Rancia Chianti Classico Riserva

After last night offline, my pick for discovery of the year is 2015 Keller GG Abts.
It was so goood.

Since half this thread is courtesy of Charlie, I’ll add to it, as I just had my Champagne of the year, courtesy of him. In fact, it’s my Champagne of all time, as far as I can recall. Jerome Prevost La Closerie Les Beguines Extra Brut Climax

5EA4130F-B18D-4889-A2D2-8B8E79FE325B.jpeg
My red wine of the year was a 2011 Ridge Monte Bello, brought to an offline at my house this summer by Joe Duncan - his first offline that I know of, and he came guns a’blazing with that amazing wine, which he double decanted prior to arriving!

Wow, that sounds incredible! You have any pics or detailed notes you can pass along?

Fabulous wine.

I remember David Z raving about this wine.