WOTYs 2020 Edition -- and your Discovery of the Year

Has to be 1959 Lafite. Amazing freshness.

Welcome to wineberserkers!

Not mind bending enough?

I know you are not a Burg guy but I assume you are joking?

There are still 35 drinking days left in the year, but as of now, for me it is a toss up between the 2009 Promontory and the 2007 Abreu Capella. The Promontory might be leading by a nose.

It’s been a strange year but there were some great wines:

White:

• 1997 von Schubert Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg Spatlese (twice)
  • 1995 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese
  • 2001 Muller-Catoir Haardter Manderling Scheurebe Spatlese (1998 just notched out)
  • 1985 Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches Blanc
  • 1975 Yquem
  • 2016 Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Auslese (AP No. 5) (among a slew of great Falkensteins)
  • 2019 Huet Le Mont and Clos de Bourg Sec
  • 2008 Francois Cotat Chavignol Monts Damnes

Red:

• 2010 Baudry Chinon La Croix Boisee
  • 2004 Allemand Reynard
  • 1986 Haut Bailly (day 2 explosion)
  • 1978 Montrose

Sparkling:

• 1966 Dom Perignon
  • 2012 Larmandier-Bernier Les Chemins D’Avize

Discoveries of the Year:

• Sylvain Pataille (Burgundy)
  • Domaine des Marnes Blanches (Jura)
  • 1996 Mittnacht-Klack Muscat D’Alsace, Kronenberg (singleton, cellared on release; wow!)

2012 Pierre Morey Meursault Perrieres on New Year’s day, seems a lifetime ago now!

Other honourable mentions:
1995 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Auslese
2001 Denis Bachelet Gevrey VV
1992 Louis Carillon Referts
2010 Drouhin Clos des Mouches Rouge
2001 Faiveley Latricieres Chambertin
2004 Comtes
Egly-Ouriet Rose

Discoveries of the year: Elio Sandri, Pattes Loup, Labet, Lucien Crochet

I was. Was a Fu-selection.

Bubbles - 2009 Agrapart Avizoise and 2010 Ultramarine Heintz.
White -
2011 Lafon Charmes
2018 bachelet-monnot puligny (value/discovery)
2017 Falkenstein KE spatlese AP 14 (though tbh you could probably substitute quite a few Riesling from Falkenstein, Schafer-Frohlich, willi schaefer or Keller here)
Red
1989 Dunn Howell and 86 Cos d’estournel- two amazing wines at the same pre-covid offline
2008 Clos Saron Black Pearl - I have a soft spot for cab/syrah blends (anyone for a trevallon vertical post-covid?) and this was just spot on. Just edged out a 95 Clos Saron cabernet. Had good luck with my clos saron bottles this year - only 1 totally undrinkable.

There’s a magnum of 1953, disgorged in 2008, that we’ve been eyeing. It’s expensive, but I think it could be mind blowing. Was your '52 from 750 or magnum?

1. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the 1953, even though I think the 1952 is in this case the better wine. But the 1952 is truly one of the best old Champagnes I ever drank.

Thanks, William. Appreciate your thoughts, as always. I have limited experience with champagne from the '50s, but my husband has had quite a bit and agrees the '52 would be better. He is jealous.

I didn’t open as many higher end bottles this year but still managed to drink some very good wines.

1 and WOTY: 2008 Cristal: Glad I went deep on this. Best potential of any champagne I’ve ever had including 96 Salon and many others.

The rest of the top 10 is in no particular order.

2009 Dominique Mugneret Echezeaux en Orveaux
2015 Michel Gros Clos de Reas
2004 Taittinger CdC
2008 Taittinger CdC
2013 Beta Wines Vare Cabernet Sauvignon
2007 Angerville Champans
2008 Dom
Krug 164 (from mag)
Krug 168

We consumed a lot of wine this year. I understand how the restrictions reduced the number of bottles opened for many people. We’re at the opposite end of the spectrum since we drink mostly at home just the two of us. Without business travel, early meetings, vacations and other distractions, pretty much every night became a wine night. So picking out the best is tough.

Two which stand out were the '96 Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet and the '00 Rouget Cros Parantoux. Both were sublime, transporting, and deeply satisfying.

By another metric, I could say that Domaine Brana Irouléguy Harri Gorri Rosé was WOTY because we drank one on average every other week.

As for a discovery, I’d have to say it was either the 2014 Ziereisen Grauer Burgunder Jaspis von alten Reben or the 2017 Wasenhaus Spatburgunder. It’s rare to find a completely new wine we want to add to our stocks, but both of these merited inclusion.

Finally, it was a year of champagne, which just edged out Germany and Piedmont for most wines consumed.

How different from last year, when all the WOTY were whisky. :slight_smile:

98 Bassermann-Jordan Forster Kirchenstuck spatlese
00 La Croix St Georges pomerol
01 Salvioni brunello
99 Karl Lawrence Herb Lamb
04 Vietti Rocche
98 Arnoux suchots
96 Heidsieck rose
Discovery: 18 Hobel ‘The Burl’

WOTY - 1988 Haut Brion, in a vertical of the ‘85, ‘88 and ‘95 Haut Brion, right before the pandemic, during a Chaîne dinner that I hosted. I had purchased all of the Haut Brion at auction over the years, and was blown away by how well all of the bottles showed. I double decanted and tasted all 12 of them! The ‘88 stole the show, and was the definition of a fully mature, classically made, Haut Brion. The ‘85 wasn’t quite as profound on the nose, but is a stellar wine. The ‘95 isn’t quite ready, and seemed a bit more modern in style.

Discovery of the year - 2016 Kinsman Eade Rhadamanthus, during a Vinous Learn tasting with Antonio Galloni and Nigel. Best new world red I’ve had in years, and in my top 3 wines of 2020 (with the ‘88 Haut Brion and ‘70 Taylor Fladgate). Truly spellbinding, and unlike any Napa cab I’ve had before…I signed up for their mailing list during the tasting!

Co- #1s

24 Hour Slow o MacDonald '17
1991 Ridge Montebello

Discovery Co-#1s

DiCostanzo Farella
Red Cap Howell Mountain

White: 2017 Sine Qua Non Tectumque

Red: tie:

2000 A. Conterno Granbussia
2004 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Galitzine Vineyard
2016 IDS Cabernet Sauvignon Fourth St.

2001 Cappellano Pie Franco

close runners up
1986 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard
1994 Dunn Howell Mountain

Wine discovery
1999 Pratesi Carmignano - given to us by a wine friend, and when we opened it, it was drinking beautifully.

Many great wines this year, but the one that still resonates with me is a young wine - 2018 Keller Schubertslay GG. I felt like I was levitating while drinking it.