Would you go to a restaurant where the sommelier wore a tastevin?

Just started watching the whole thing.

Aaron Burr was “a historical figure through history”

How insightful. Now I’m impressed.

Still, the history of the building is unexpectedly interesting. The sommelier knows his stuff.

1 Like

It’s his whole costume that got me. (I’m assuming it wasn’t hallowe’en) Looks like a place to run a mile from. Couldn’t figure out the expressions the interviewer was pulling - sort of like she was half asleep and then couldn’t quite believe what she was seeing. Very weird.

He definitely had the “Sommelier at Disney’s Haunted Mansion” look going.

Hmmm, that might be a cool attraction, like the Blue Bayou.

It would be funny in a sports bar.

Having tried to use one in Burgundy and found it useless, my personal opinion is that anybody who has one doesn’t know their arse from their elbow.

I’ve always wanted SNL to do a skit called “Yooper Sommelier”…

Wouldn’t bother me, especially if worn ironically. Even if not, I have had both good somms and pretentious windbags, just not a big deal if the food is good and wine isn’t obnoxiously overpriced.

Only been to once restaurant that had a somm who wore one. I don’t think the restaurant exists anymore, but it was one of the best meals I’ve ever had. It’s the kind of place where they don’t put prices on the menu.

None of the Michelin restaurants I’ve been lucky enough to attend have used tastevins.

That whole video was one big cringe. It was really hard to watch. The people, the quality, the food itself just all seemed so….dated and not in a cool nostalgic way.

In regard to tastevins: I don’t care. Wear one or don’t. You do you Somms of the world. Probably less offensive than a Court of Master Sommelier’s pin these days.

It’s more of a tradition than anything else no?

George

Many years ago, I coordinated a very large offline right around the time eBob folks were leaving for WB in droves. We had 150+ serious wine folks at a friend’s house for Flannery Fest II.

A local “sommelier” showed up uninvited with his tastevin around his neck AND a champagne saber on his hip in a scabbard. Came across as a pretentious tool and bag of douche.

I thinks it’s dated and would not go to someplace that had that level of pretension.

happened once. Lush sommelier opened my wine, filled his tastevin to the rim, drank it down in a swallow or two. Irritated the hell out of me.

I love the tradition! YES PLEASE. More old school the better. Now having said that the food/wine must be up to par! But bring me the classic service and food. I was recently at a highly rated restaurant in DC. Found it cold, the waiters/somm were young and “hip”, food was beautifully plated, but had no soul! Bring back the old dude with the TASTEVIN!

Guessing no one is going to Le Bernardin these days.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQjL6xrNQwD/?utm_medium=copy_link

I think there are other things I would judge the restaurant by before a tastevin.

1 Like

Same experience many years ago, and I love fusty old restaurants more than most people.