WS Top 100...how'd you do?

The WB cognoscenti must also be careful to avoid buying Mount Eden, Elio Grasso, Le Vieux Donjon, Calera, Flaccianello and others on the list in order to maintain their AFWE cards.

Bought 2009 L-B before the list came out. And that’s about it.

Pray they continue to ignore burgundy.

They say even the blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. That number one pick is a sight to behold. Admittedly on a professional wine periodical’s top 100 there will be some quality wines, but it’s not for nothing that the fun gets poked here.

What is the WS100?

:slight_smile:

Ditto (and the Leoville Barton was one).

Same for me

Just have the KB Pinot Noir.

The Saxum and the Selyem are it.

When I saw the Switchback RIdge, I thought I had hit at least one but it was their Merlot. Sorry Kelly, but I do own lots of the petite sirah. flirtysmile

I guess I too went 0 for 100 then. I’ll stand by my own top of the year list.

Shaefer Relentless … ooops missed 2008 have 2007 & 2009
Booker, Saxum, Quilceda Creek, Kosta Brown
Pahlmyer Merlot… oops missed 2009 have 2003 & 2008

My own wines of the year would have more Saxums, Torrins, SQNs, Bookers, etc.

I have the Clos des Papes, Donjon, Mount Eden, Calera, and Monprivato.

Must be a deliberate move, but it really doesn’t make any sense…

+1

Same here, nothing for me there.

I haven’t taken the WS in a few years. I guess I don’t really care, but it is shocking than not a single Burg and only two Germans are on the list. It sounds so devious, but you might be right about it being deliberate.

You guys made me go look at the list. I feel dirty now.

#51 is Bodega Norton malbec and # 50 is Marcassin estate pinot noir? It just seems weird having those two right next to each other.

The whole thing as said makes little sense. I am sure advertising plays a part in placing these wines in the top 100. My favorite is the retailers that promote this and say we have number 88 (90 points) for $11.99. Amazing how a 92 point wine is behind a 90 point wine and they cost about the same.

By now it’s seems passée to be critical of the WS; who has the time? But I will say that some of us bought the 2010 Chateau St Cosme Gigondas long before the WS came out and for $35.00 it’s a stunner with cellar potential.

I have to admit that you made me go look at the list! I had the number 1 and 2 wines well before the list came out. I really like good vintages of Relentless (an under-rated wine IMHO), and consider the Cosme a really viable … table wine! I got the #3 wine after the list not because of the list, but because I like these wines when they get much older, and I get that wine frequently from a particular merchant (Yes, I still buy a handful of high end Australian wines!). I have the Alban, Turley and Saxum because I am on or share regularly from their mailing lists. I often buy the Vieux Donjon… I consider that a no brainer for people who enjoy CNdP (but where was the Janasse?) And, I like the 09 Altamura, have actually tasted it and bought it. Oh, and I got the Booker at Booker, and tasted the Alban and Saxum at the HDR. So, I actually have nine of the wines on the list, and can safely say that I have tasted at least another 10 on the list… obviously not being inspired to buy them. BUT, I WILL SAY THAT I HAVE TASTED AND ENJOYED THE CAYUSE, ELIO GRASSO, AND FLACCIANELLO (just not parts of my cellar that need to be expanded).

I guess I would have to say that I don’t completely ignore critics. I am not a negative or argumentative person where wine is concerned. I simply accept that certain wines have been enjoyed by someone, that this might indicate some merit, and then I taste for my own palate. I think that wine tastes are personal, and that often our own personal tastes span a zone between enjoying what is familiar (Beaucastel NOTL), and an interest in that which is new (say Bedrock and Tercero NOTL). Beating up on critics… what is the point unless they exceed the bounds of that which is appropriate … launching personal attacks, insulting families, or carrying out vendettas! This list in particular seems to do just this… a combination of old standards (reliable wines that are always good in good vintages), the new guard of American wine regions (Saxum and Alban) and emerging wine regions, and wines that they believe are deals… and do tend to send novices and deal hounds on the retail market buying value scored wines. Knowing that, it simply is what it is! If anything, I really enjoy seeing a good review going to a winery that is working hard to make it that can use the boost!

I was a little upset that I actually had 1 wine from the list. #50, oh well, there is always next year.