Your cellar's core strength?

Mostly Medoc appellations, some Loire, Burgundy, and Rhône. I really was brought up on French reds.

I’d say the most unique aspect of my cellar, and a core strength, is having about 7% Huet wines of all of the different types. All but two bottles now are from vintages 1988 to 2019. It looks like I currently have about 110 bottles total made up of 44 different wines.

Lots of Burgundy (red and white) and Jura (mostly lots of Ganevat and Puffeney), with a decent spread of German wines to round things out. About 65%, 20%, and 15% respectively. I’ve built my collection up in a pretty focused way, and stuck to what I know and like — I fear waking up one day and realizing that I own lots of wine I don’t want to drink.

About 50% Chablis.
Best, jim

2 Likes

Yes - completely agreed with these sentiments. For mine; Red Burg is at 25% with Red Bordeaux, Piedmont and Germany at around 10% each.

Brodie

Core strength? a 6 pack…of something…

FIFY

Welcome to Northern Cali, population Me. 99% northern California, with 99% coming from either Napa or Sonoma

I am a bit jealous now. Huet is amazing!

Excluding the CdP that I don’t really care for any more, I’d have to say Melon de Bourgogne

Cellar is mostly California Rhones - both red and white, with a goodly number of Zinfandel. Used to have a lot of Napa cab, but they have priced themselves out of my pay grade.

I guess my cellar’s core strength is the complete lack of it. At just 10%, Piedmont (including both red and white) is by far the largest category, followed by Burgundy including Beaujolais (8,5%), German Riesling (7%), Northern Rhône (6,5%) and Champagne (5,5%). The remaining +60% is composed of very random stuff, of which very few are at 4%, most are at around 0,1 to 3% of the total capacity.

I met a guy at my old wine storage unit who was a former pro golfer. He told me he doesn’t drink wine on a daily or even weekly basis, and when he showed me his locker I could see why. Numerous bottles of Colgin, Marcassin, Bond, Screaming Eagle, etc. I counted 21 magnums of Harlan as well.

With the exception of Piedmont (I can appreciate it but don’t drink it enough to warrant buying regularly), I have similar cellar goals as what you achieved in terms of higher acid, food-friendly wines being the bulk of my collection.

Wood aged Portuguese fortifieds including Madeira, Colheita Port, Setubal. Second would be Riesling: German, Alsace, Austria, Australia, California Late Harvest.

According to CT, my cellar consists of >60% Cabernet Sauvignon/Cabernet Sauvignon-dominant blends and >85% of my overall holdings are from California - good thing I (still) like bold Cabs [snort.gif]

My largest categories are Piedmont Nebbiolo and Red Burgundy (about a quarter each of my collection). At this stage I’d say Nebbiolo is my greatest strength - quite a few bottles are ready to drink and will be good for the next decade. 5 or 10 years out as my younger Burgundy collection climbs the readiness curve it will compete with the Nebbs.

My focus for buying in 2021 is to continue to build on these strengths with about 60% older (pre-2011) vintages/40% younger vintages (2016/17/19 for Burgundy). I’m transitioning from “go wide and try lots of things” to “focus more on what you love.” Still room for trying new things, as always, but I’m trying to resist so much “give it a try” impulse buys.

Hmmm…

Red Bordeaux Blend 24.2%
Pinot Noir 15.8%
Syrah 12.0%
Cabernet Sauvignon 10.2%
Chardonnay 3.8%

The remaining 36% is spilt among 57 different varieties according to CT.

Country-wise, 83% of the cellar is from France and the US, the remainder is split between Italy, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Spain, Germany, with just a few from Austria, Chile and Argentina.

Will be working to learn about and add Italian wines to the cellar in 2021

Two of the nice things about Huet are availability and relatively low cost for the quality and longevity. So while I’ve bought mine over many years, if someone is interested, it’s easy to fill a cellar with them.

1 Like

Throughout the years, my collection has grown and shrunk, my preferences have changed, but Mark Olivier’s wines have always remained at the top of my cellar.

1. German Riesling
  2. Burgundy
  3. Champagne
  4. others…mostly Northern Rhone, Italy, Spain, US.

German Riesling, Burgundy, and Champagne are definitely my favorites. I’ll go through phases of concentrating on one more than the others. German Rieslings are, by far, the most accessibly priced. Hence, they easily count for the biggest portion of my collection and are growing at the fastest rate. Champagne will probably overtake Burgundy in the next year, as Burgundy is more prohibitively priced.