Your consumption of Pink /rose wine?

I agree with you Dan on giving some Roses a little bottle age. I’m having a glass of 2015 Chateau Val Joanis Josephine right now and it’s delicious, I’ve went through almost 18 bottles this year. My wife and I had a 2014 Tempier Bandol Rose at a restaurant in Paris a few weeks ago that was equally as good. Some producers, like Clos Cibonne in Provence, hold their Roses a year before they are released.

Wow, Dan, a huge amount! [wow.gif]

Although I don´t understand it … to each his own … [cheers.gif]
Maybe the reason might be that in many regions fresh lively whites (without much wood) are not easily available.
Possible?

My only problem with keeping Rosé in the house is their availability during our short shipping season. Many are offered during late spring or summer when shipping is out of the question for me. I do buy some and give them a little age.
We drank a 2014 Traginer Collioure a few weeks ago; it was delicious, but very atypical. It drank more like a funky Trousseau.

we drink 5-6 cases of rose a year. I try to age the Tempier because IMHO it drinks better with 2-3 years of age on it.

I’m developing an addiction to Larry’s Tercero Rose … opened a bottle of the latest over the weekend with friends and wish my budget for wine was not tapped out since I would drink way more of this than I have here if I could.

I was not a Rose drinker until trying Matthiasson’s … my other favorite and the one which convinced me Rose was not just Mateus.

Welcome back!

I do not understand rose, have never understood rose, and drink it only rarely. That said, rose champagne is something altogether different, and my wife and I love the stuff. I’d say champagne makes up about 1/3 of our warm weather consumption, with probably 1/3 of that rose.

Thanks, Todd. It really was. :slight_smile:

Nope, not in the least possible. We have all the “fresh lively whites” you could want, easily available, all over this country. People just like rose, too, and believe, as I do, that the one is not even close to the same tool as the other

4th of July Rose flight

Tempier Bandol (Mourvèdre)
Pedras (Pinot)
Murrieta’s well (Grenache/Counnoise)
Sofia (Syrah/Pinot)

We’ll maybe drink a rose once a week in the summer.
IMG_2453.JPG

Putting aside rose champagne, I’ve yet to have a rose I’d go back for more of. Granted, perhaps that’s because I’m being served shite rose by others . . .

This thread has surprised me a bit. I like rose and probably drink 5-10 a year or something, but I feel like it often gets overhyped on WB as a category (rather like Champagne and riesling), so I was expecting a gush-fest.

It’s interesting to see that many WBers don’t really care for it and are willing to say as much.

We enjoy rose year round due to the food pairing options it delivers. Probably average 2-3 bottles a month with maybe only a slight uptick in the summer.

I am drinking more rose than ever, especially at parties, BBQs. Kermit Lynch’s Jouget Rose from Chinon is my current fav. Tavel is always in the house.

My rose consumption is way up the last year or so. Having spent this past winter in a warm climate where I had shipped several cases of red wine to myself, I found it was very easy to go out and buy (mostly French) rose that was immediately enjoyable. It’s light and refreshing on a warm day, and pairs well with a lot of the food I eat. I don’t consume much white wine - although I have been trying to be more open minded and explore a bit - so I think rose has filled a similar gap for me that others get from whites.

Rose is 0.6% of my consumption in the last 4 years and that’s entirely Clos Cibonne and Champagne.

I think the more interesting question is what do you think Rose solves that a better wine wouldn’t do better?

Rose just feels like you’re getting cheated out of the good part of a wine–I’d rather have the red or in the case of champagne, I’d rather have the unadulterated version. If I’m in the mood for an aromatic but light bodied wine, I’ll drink a white.

Nice to have you back Rachel

About 2 bottles a day throughout the summer. In fact just finishing a bottle sitting here in Paris. More when I’m sitting by the pool in Provence. But to be fair, all shared with friends and family.

we go through at least 5-6 cases over a summer. Most priced in the $10-15 range.

to P. Willenberg, you wrote: “what do you think Rose solves that a better wine wouldn’t do better?”

I try to be polite on this board, and as previously mentioned, about 50K cases of my sales out of my 125K cases of annual sales are Rose, so it is my ox that is being gored.

I find your post insulting, perpetuating an ignorance also perpetuated by wine writers.

I have had red and white wines that I thought merited 100 point ratings. I’ve never had a Rose that good, but have had a number that I thought deserved ratings of over 95. We are talking about wines that give pleasure. I have never seen a still Rose rated even as high as 95 by any “reputable” publication. I find the snobbery infuriating.

When I first started drinking wine, back in the late 1800s, I was stunned by a Chateau d’Aqueria at three years of age that was an absolutely perfect accompaniment to grilled swordfish. I’ve never looked back.

I probably personally drink well over 50 bottles of Rose a year, rarely when the temp is under 20 fahrenheit, ie for most of the Maine winter. If, God forbid, I lived in a warmer clime, I would drink more of it. Counting Sally and guests, this home probably consumes well over 100 bottles a year.

Mr. Willenberg: Why don’t you say that you do not prefer Roses, rather than treating your personal opinion as a statement of fact?

Dan Kravitz

See? The land of the free and the brave.