your favorite vintages of Chateau Climens

Based upon the bottle I was lucky enough to open on Christmas Day, I’d say the 1949.

01, 88, and the terrific but young 07. I have also had a terrific bottle of ‘03, but subsequent bottles haven’t quite hit the same peak.

I love the '07 – on its merits and for sentimental reasons too. I own more of it than any other single wine, as it’s my wife and my “anniversary wine” and most years we’ll drink some to celebrate.

The 71 is my fav, followed by the 86 and 83.

The 88 is just behind these. Never had the 01, but I concur with Alan that the 03 is excellent.

1 Like

I’ve loved the '75 and '01 the few times I’ve had them. Among recent vintages, I’ve enjoyed the '05, '11, and '15.

1 Like

The only 2011 I have had is Yquem and it was really good. So, I am not surprised that the Climens was good as well.

This is a very useful thread as I haven’t tried any vintage more recent than 2003.

Liked 2014 a lot. Still available at reasonable prices.

Hitting them young is ok if it’s Delicious.
The 2015 Absolutely rocks

Of recent vintages :2001 and 2007.

I was initially skeptical of 2007 as it looked big, unctuous, and more forward than what I was expecting especially comparing it to the style of 2001.
But I opened a half bottle of 2007 few weeks ago. Whilst rich and intense it has retained focus and clarity. It was very enjoyable.

Haven’t had the 2014 Climens, but the 2014 Rieussec was ridiculously good for being so young and for being Rieussec (which I sometimes find a bit cloying). One of my WOTYs last year.

1921 and 2001 . But Climens is not my my top 3 , not really my style . I prefer de Fargues , Suduiraut and Coutet …

Herwig, I definitely agree that de Fargues and Suduiraut are different styles, but how do you see Coutet as a different style.

I always open my favorite Sauternes (Rieussec, Suduiraut, Climens) within the first three years after release then don’t touch them again for 10 years. They are so hedonistic when young but then they all seem to enter a dumb phase for a period of time. The complexity starts developing around year 12.

Hi Howard , I like to drink my Sauternes old and Coutet ages well . We recently had a 1947 Coutet that was rocking . But the cuvee Madame is the one I had in mind , it’s a rather powerful wine , not so floral as Climens can be .
( I have not seen you in Ma Cuisine lately , are you still dining there ? )

1 Like

The last time I was at Ma Cuisine was in 2018, but I have been there several times since 2007, when I met you at Buisson Charles and then saw you at Ma Cuisine. This summer was the first time I was in Burgundy since Covid and we did not go to Ma Cuisine. We spent two weeks in France (also Nice and Paris) but only four nights in Burgundy (and three days). Went to la Madeleine, le Maufoux (had a wonderful chopped veal dish with a Epoisses sauce that was to die for), Relais de Saulx and Maison du Colombier for dinner. Had a great time in Burgundy (and in France generally) as always. Hope to see you again soon.

Saturday night I had a 2016 Climens and it was fabulous. Has to be added to my top vintages somewhere.

Another lover of 1971. I thought I had drunk my last bottle, but it was miscatalogued and I have a couple more. So happy, as it is a seriously great wine.

1971 is up there for sure. Stunning. 1929 would be my desert island bottle of Climens.

1 Like