Your Favorite Wines Inroduced to You by a Fellow Board Member - Top 3-5?

Jon, I learned about Bedrock Wine Co. from reading an online article that quoted Mike Officer, saying something to the effect Mike, while touring the vineyard with Morgan, was ‘brought to tears upon first seeing Bedrock Vineyard’s old vines.’

Here is another under new the radar winery worth note - Stolo, from Cambria, CA (south of Big Sur on the coast). Stolo makes outstanding Syrah, Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc.

I learned about Stolo on this board from Tom Hill.

I bought the inaugural vintage, and just took delivery of 2017. A nice run!

Who first posted about it, Alan or Brian? Both guys have great palates!

I don’t know who posted first. All I know is that one of them was sitting across from me, one was kitty corner, and Paul was next to me on my left. We were tasting flights and each time I liked Paul’s wine more than the others, and there were some good ones. Been a fan ever since.

I just remembered one other time, with almost the exact same scenario. A couple of people who don’t post these days were in attendence. Chaad had arranged a tasting at his restaurant and Roy Hersh was visiting family in Michigan, as was I. Roy was across the table from me and we tasted a wine and both of us exclaimed that it was great. “Oh, that’s Jim Wyncroft’s wine,” someone said.

“And who is Jim Wyncroft?” I asked.

“That guy sitting on your left,” was the reply.

He’s making outstanding Chardonnay and Pinot Noir on the west coast of Michigan. Really remarkable.

Rhys ---- the board collectively; have now been buying for the lion’s share of a decade.

L. Aubry & Fils — this was either this board or Envoyer. This board introduced me to Envoyer (another outfit from which I’ve been buying longer than I thought), so, either way, WB is to thank.

Extra Brut grower Champagne, in general — FMIII.

Ch. Senejac — thanks to Tim Heaton, many years ago. I give this wine a shot pretty much every vintage now; sometimes it’s a QPR home run.

Mike Gordon, it was the 88.

Truchot - the DC gang, especially Maureen and Howard

Donnhoff - Salil

Overnoy - Keith Levenberg (I believe)

Charlie - Xavier Gerard La Ladonne. Yummo!
The problem is he’s bought all The bottles so I can’t even find one now :frowning:

Martin Steinley: Dujac (original bottle was 2008 MSD Village) and Bertheau (2006 Chambolle 1er).

Mark Sutherland - though in person, not online: Gerard Mugneret (1985 NSG Chaignots).

Joel Galang: Selosse Initial. Though I don’t buy much Selosse, this convinced me to explore Champagne and led me to Chartogne Taillet and Ulysse Collin.

More like left for bank.

Favorite introductions for 2019 :slight_smile:

Donnhoff GG Dellchen - Alan Rath
Ecard Narbantons - Lee Short
Foillard Morgon 3.14 - Andy Koeberl
Raymond Trollat - Charlie Fu

Thanks guys [cheers.gif]

Rub it in!!!

Levet and Baudry from Robert’s notes
Allemand, generally Northern Rhone from Fu and Alan
Lopez de Heredia and Dauvissat from the forum in general

Mike Dildine: good to see you posting again…Thanks for the headsup re Stolo, will check them out

Jon

Trollat? That’s an expensive introduction!!

It wasn’t an introduction as much as a fleeting hello/goodbye to a producer I’m never going to be able to buy [cry.gif]

Counting my blessings though! [cheers.gif]

It is hard to name a top 3-5! Let me stick with the wines that come immediately to mind.

Marshall and Diana Gelb introduced me to my first Aubert Chard. It was love at first sip and while I don’t go after them as much as I used to, I have enjoyed so many great bottles, of Ritchie in particular.

I’ll concur on Levet–Jay Hack introduced me to this producer and the Chavaroches. Great bottle of wine

I knew about the potential of great Eszencia but only tasted it when Berto Dorta opened a 1993 Chateau Pazjos. An ethereal experience that may never be equaled.

Leslie Goldstein brought a 2009 Copain Roussanne to a dinner that was truly amazing.

1980 Dow, thanks to Roy Hersh when I visited him in Sammamish. I got to understand that I didn’t have to be in the “mood” to enjoy good port. It was a turning point for me.

The tops, though, are two: One is probably a 1999 Haut Brion Blanc that Joel Knox very generously contributed to a dinner many years ago in Atlanta. That still may be the best dry white wine I’ve ever consumed. The other is a 1929 L.A. Montoy Clos du Roy that Francois Audouze opened in 2014 in Paris with me. That wine, 85 years old at the time, held the line as the best wine I consumed on an entire trip to London, Burgundy and Bordeaux.

I’m leaving off a lot—some great older burgs that Stuart Niemtzow has shared with me, lovely older Williams Selyem thanks to Blake Brown, the S. Coquillette champagne that I’ve been fortunate to try a few times thanks to Don Cornutt…

de Montille’s whites - Thanks Greg!
Dublere - Thanks to Howards incessant mention on the board
Rene Leclrerc - Thanks to Josh (Their Griotte is a smashing wine)

Gilbert Picq & ses Fils Chablis Dessus La Carriere - great req, great value, great bottle
Goodfellow Family Cellars Blanc Whistling Ridge Vineyard - someone described it as liquid crack, they are right, and its legal
Bedrock in general

Ditto and add Cameron to that list.

I had intended to post to this thread back when it first appeared but got busy/sidetracked.

It’s fun tracing some history.

I see Alfert gives credit to Salil for introducing him to Baudry. I was the one who introduced Salil to Baudry and nathan vandergrift is the one who introduced me to them. So Rob - you should thank nathan.

I’m pretty sure I’m the first one to recommend Magdelaine to you as well though I don’t know if you followed up on my rec or not. But I got that rec from John Gilman years earlier and he got it from some mutual friends who had never mentioned it to me.

Kevin Harvey was the one who introduced me to Rhys :slight_smile:. Back on the Parker board he made a casual comment about “his” wine and I IMed to ask about it since I always liked his Burgundy notes. He said it wasn’t available for sale yet but he’d add me to his list for when it went on sale.

David Bueker introduced me to Donnhoff. This would have been back around when the 1997s were released.

Salon and Winston Churchill though I don’t remember exactly who brought what that night. I think it was Jayson and Marty?

Comte de Champagne I owe to Josh Leader about 15 years ago.

Calsac was a recent one from Frank Murray, Brad Baker, Len Fox, Robert Dentice. Thank you Frank!

Sadly, some of my favorite wine introductions (e.g. Luneau Papin, Marc Ollivier, Clos Roche Blanche, Roilette, Brundlmayer, Cotat, Huet) were made by people who have since passed away.

Reading Beserker threads has introduced me to some real favorites such as:

Chateau Musar
Cameron
Olga Raffault
most recently, Goodfellow

Cheers,
Doug