Your go-to snack.

I tend to try to avoid eating snacks that overlap with the flavors that could be in wine, which is why I wanted to see the the board usually has lying around. I guess more people that I thought have snacks that are mirrored by the flavors in some red wines?

I think many are taking the view, that they’re not going to (over)analyse the wine, so a snack they enjoy eating, alongside a wine they’re enjoying, is a good combo.

FWIW our old tasting group started off with just water biscuits / shop bought grissini to go with the wines, followed by bread, salami, cheese etc. after we’d tasted the last wine and revisited the remnants of the wines. Over time that food became present during the tasting, with something more substantial afterwards. In the end we just met up for food and wine and company and it’s been that way for a good many years. The reasoning is there was often someone new coming into the group, and it would be a baptism of fire / offputting for many to find themselves in the middle of an arcane ritual called ‘winetasting’.

We’re going to resurrect the tasting soon.

My favorite is a pate I make from canned wild duck that I serve with rice crackers.

Like others, I rarely want a snack with red wine. For me, it’s on its own or with a meal. Very occasionally with the right cheese, though we don’t keep that in the house. If we are going to eat cheese, we go to the market and build a cheese and meat selection. Then it’s gone.

I don’t snack much, but I start my days quite early, which often leads to eating early. If I can’t have dinner at 6, the way I normally want to, I will often do a small meal of some high quality canned seafood with dry sherry, or some smoked salmon with a crisp white or sparkler. A couple of quick scrambled eggs with a dollop of creme fraiche and chopped chives is also a good little somethin’ in our house.

I will echo many of the mentions. For neutral bread type bites pretzels or good bread and good salted olive oil. Cheeses if they are ones that are fairly neutral. Some times we even do Crudités with mild veggies, carrots, celery, etc. not broccoli or bell peppers with a olive oil and light vinegar dining sauce. Good smoked salmon with a mild cracker or pate if hankering for protein. We often just consider snacks first course and we usually start with white or bubbles then move on to red with the main course.

Beer

Depends when.

If it’s before dinner, cheese mostly but carrots, celery and cucumbers with ranch or onion dip disappear quickly.

If it’s snacks for dinner, add chips or Tostito’s Nacho cheese and tortilla chips. Throw in some mild salsa.

After dinner it’s Dark Chocolate M&M’s countered with smoked peanuts. If the wine is gone and I am moving to tawny port, it’s pecans. Chunky liquid pralines.

Blue Diamond Nut Thins usually work for us.

Thanks,
Ed

Wild Boar Sausage, Deer Sausage, beef sausage, left over steak cut really thin with olive oil. Brisket. We eat a lot of meat around our place.

We have a major carnivore here. Hide your animals Aaron’s coming to your off line. [cheers.gif]

French bread and butter.

Hot pockets (in Jim Gaffigan voice)

Reds primarily. I have not enjoy many Chardonnays and I am not into the buttery style. Popcorn is versatile and can be made savory very easily.

I like champagne with popcorn.

Might be trading it all in for a new colon in 30 years, haha!

Agree
Snacks is for the whites only, IMO