Your most overachieving btl in 2014?

I wish I did.

For me it is 2010 Domaine du Traginer Collioure Collioure Blanc
We opened it on a lark when Backroad Bob visited because we were eating shellfish.
It was dynamite.

Easily the 1998 Moris Farms Maremma Toscana Avvoltore, bought on a whim from the Benchmark bin sale for $25…a real beauty perfectly aged and balanced.

Mr. So knows because we split a case of it at auction through HDH in may [snort.gif]

Presumably you got this from Garagiste? I’ve had generally very good luck with his older Italian wines. Also had this one, and it was fantastic.

Any time you guys need a 3rd wheel…

I opened an '85 Hubert bouzereau Chassagne Montrachet les Chaumees back in January that I’d bought on a whim, figuring it was likely past it’s prime. For two hours it was electric before losing its steam.

Another worth mentioning was the 2004 WS Peay Vineyard PN, absolutely in the running with any domestic PInot we have had the past five years or so.

2012 Donnhoff Nahe Riesling. I didn’t have low expectations. This was much closer to the quality of the single vineyard wines than I was expecting though. Fantastic stuff.

I love the 2006 Fourrier wines. I think he did an amazing job with the vintage, and the village level wines have been drinking well since release without ever seeming to have shut down, in my experience.

agreed. he killed it in 2006. I think the CSJ is starting to shut down though. Had it about 4 times in the past year and the most recent one (in Nov) was closing down

Most recently, 2013 Tenuta Rapitala ‘Campo Reale’ Nero d’Avola - at $8-10/bottle, it’s a fantastic dinner wine.

2010 Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero - best young Barolo ever, the Cannubi not bad either. Bought what I could find of both.
Pleased the 06 Fourriers are looking good, will need to pull one out over the next few weeks.

2010 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Clos Habert.

1995 Poujeaux

Honorable mention: 2007 Lafouge Auxey-Duresses 1er Climat du Valle

Cheers,
Doug

Mine too. champagne.gif

2002 Delamotte BdB
2009 Windy Oaks Pinot Reserve

2010 Domaine des Tours Vin de Pays de Vaucluse Reserve. Amazingly good wine for $18.

La Vrille et Le Papillon Z Rouge 2012. 100% syrah from the Ardeche - this one opened my weary eyes. Bought on suggestion from Tim at Weygandt’s. One of the best wines I’ve had this year or any year under $30.

Good call. F Chidaine wines are certainly one of my top discoveries in 2014.