Your Most Prized Bottle of Wine

1968 Vega Scicilia Unico. Most valuable and my birth year. Frankly I’m thinking of selling it because it really can’t live up to the expectation I have for it…particularly at that price point.

It seems a 2001 d’Yquem thread or top five vintages of d’Yquem would draw some interest.

No DRC yet. Lots of sentimental responses.

If it were the end of the world scenario, I’d be lining up more than the 1995 Latour. That’s for sure.

In thinking on my own question, as much as I prize my Burgundies, almost all the wines that came to mind were from the Bordeaux section of the racks. Part of that though is the Bordeaux section has more mature wines.

Lots of great responses.

Some really rare bottles from Burgundy… but for the sake of participating, I’d say my lone bottle 1967 Toro Albala Don PX Electrico Etiqueta Doble. Really looking forward to opening it.

I have a 1975 Château Coutet waiting for the right time. That is the one I am looking forward to most.

Other than that, I have a strong sentimental attachment to a 2005 Château Pipeau that I bought when I visited Bordeaux in 2008. I wonder when I will ever drink that one: it’s not going to be stellar, but it is the one bottle that I took back with me.

1955 Taylor port, purchased to give to my brother for his 60th.
1970 Yquem, just because

1990 Drouhin Bonnes Mares. Not necessarily my best bottle of wine, but it was the wine that got me into Burgundy.

If “most prized” means “least willing to part with,” then it’s 1931 Quinta do Noval.
If it means “most memorable,” then it’s 1973 Louis Latour Chevalier-Montrachet “Les Demoiselles.” If “most valuable,” then it’s 1961 Chateau Latour.

I’ve got a 2007 Harlan I received as a thank you gift; so there is sentiment and excitement to consume.

I like how you looked at the question in the three most relevent categories that come to mind.

2000 Margaux, which was the first world-class wine I bought when I started seriously collecting/cellaring wine back in 2003. At $250/bottle, I remembering my heart racing as I paid for them.

For me it’s probably one of these:

2010 (SQN) Chimere
2006 SQN Raven Grenache Magnum
2008 SQN The Duel
2000 Pavie
From there it’s assorted Cayuse Bionic Frog, Saxum, Schrader, Mags of: Kosta Browne, Saxum, Shafer HSS, and Sea Smoke.

Desert island wine that I’ve already consumed from the cellar would be 03 Latour, 89 Haut Brion, or 01 Yquem.

1997 Quintarelli Alzero
1986/7 Quintarelli Ca del Merlo

Like Bill, who posted above, mine is an 82 Mouton. Bought 3 bottles on release for under $35 each. One bit the dust on a milestone birthday dinner outing for my wife. I’m in no hurry on the other 2.

1980 & 1983 Jordan Cabernet that my dad carried back from his trip to the valley circa 1986

My little stash of Jayers, particularly the '85 Cros…

Wow. That is some serious patience. One bottle in 31 years?

3 bottles of 1982 Penfolds Grange remaining from the 18 bottles I bought on release in June 1987. I was a newly wed and my wife made me buy an extra 12 bottles after I came home with 6 telling her that A$40 a bottle was great deal. These are the wines I have held the longest and buying them remains clear in my memory. This was the day my wine cellaring habit was born

Brodie

I had this at the 90 Drouhin tasting when it was released. I agree it made me fall in love with Burgundy.

Most sentimentaly valued is 2002 Flora Springs Trilogy.

It’s not close to the best I’ve got, but drinking it for the first time is such a vivid memory. My wife and I were poor college kids on a trip to Napa (luckily paid for by my wife’s parents, wine aside. The wine liquidated my entire but meager savings). We weren’t married at the time, and I really think that trip to Napa solidified my belief that I’d found a partner for life, and that I’d found a real passion for wine. Both of those things changed my life considerably. I’ll always associate the memory of walking in a vineyard by the Harvest Inn with two glasses and an open bottle of 2002 Trilogy with those two very-life-changing realizations.

Most prized for cash is probably Anne Gros Richebourg, old remoissenets, Dana Lotus, various cult/cultish or aged napa cabs.

1985 Domaine Chandon de Briailles Corton-Maréchaudes
sentimental value. We got two bottles from Claude Jousset at the domaine and drank one on our 25th wedding anniversary in 2010. We’re saving the other for another anniversary. It doesn’t even have a label. Claude was going to dig on up for us but I preferred the dusty, “webby” bottle as is