Your single greatest QPR of the year, so far?

Did you read my post before you ripped it? QPR, I think most people will agree, is any wine that preforms better than the price paid for it.

2011 Luciano Landi “Gavigliano” Lacrima di Morro d’Alba Superiore

Really enjoyable and unique. Thought it was a steal at $25. K&L now has it marked down to $15.

Rivers Marie Sonoma Coast PN. $25

If $20 or under is the criteria, this:

2013 Bedrock OV Zin

Honorable mentions, same criteria:

2013 Rutherford Ranch Cab
2012 Bouchard Bourgogne
2011 Fattoria di Fibbiano L’Aspetto
2010 Bachelet Aligoté
2005 La Rioja Alta Ardanza
2000 Vino Bambino Pinot Noir
2011 Evening Land Côte de Nuits Villages
2001 Faustino Rioja I Gran Reserva

Louis Latour Santenay 2010. Best red Burg I’ve ever had in the under $30 range.

2012 Foley Griffin $36, I think. With enough air, this kept up with a bunch of $100 and up cabs. The one pop and pour didn’t fare as well, but the few that got air were excellent.

Man, there have been a few…

Courtesy of King Cab, aka Mike Pobega - both these punch well above their weight class:
2012 Hardin @ $23
2009 Hagen’s Reserve @ $24

2014 Daou @ $25 - might be the best young cab around due to not using press juice. Luv dis stuff!

2013 Heinz Eifel Spatlese @ $14 - it can be found a little cheaper, but averages that after shipping. Yum!

2010 Bedrock Old Vine Zinfandel @ $30 - but now I’m on the mailing list and WILL be buying it at the lower direct price.

Courtesy of Robert Alfert:
2013 Chateau Graville-Lacoste @ $11 per half bottle, or $17 per bottle - to quote Alf “crazy good” for the price.

2012 H3 Horse Heaven Hills @ $11 - didn’t think this was possible, but it is a great dark fruit Cab for under $15.

Not a revalation this year: I still think Chappellet Signature is the best $50 Cab you can buy anywhere.

So Bedrock’s Old Vine Zin '10, '12 and '13 have been mentioned in this thread. That says something.

Okay, so I have to vote for one according to the thread title…

The envelope please!

And the winner is… Heinz Eifel Spatlese! No! Wait! Make that Daou! Hold on, change that to Bedrock!

Sheezus, let’s just go with Bedrock and call it a night. Those 3 are really too close to call.

They’re all just ridiculously awesome QPRs.

That said, I do think think the 2013 is the best yet with the 2012 right behind (the latter of which is drinking wonderfully right now).

2012 Rodney Strong Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Vineyards Alexander Valley

or

2012 Beringer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley

or

???

2011 Château de La Mar Roussette de Savoie Marestel Le Verney, at 14 €. I picked this up at a shop in Chambéry after trying several other whites from the region in restaurants and being quite impressed by them but never could I have predicted how amazing this wine was to be. Very complex with incredible depth and structure, this drank like it was a superb Chenin blanc grown in Jura by a top producer, if that makes sense. Drinking this really had a similar effect on me as drinking the wines of Raveneau, Ganevat or Huet - there is just something special about the texture, something that very few wines are able to achieve.

2010 Sandlands Mataro ($25).

2012 Jean Marc Morey Santenay Clos Rousseau $43 Hard to say on the face of it that a $43 Santenay would be your QPR of the year but this one delivers. Well above expectations.

Honorable Mention to 2012 Roty Marsannay les Ouzeloy at $34. Delicious stuff too.

2013 Biggio Hamina Pinot Noir. <$20. WOW
Been through about 12 so far. From my original note: uplifting as a sunrise

Kind of surprised on a QPR thread that no one has mentioned the 2014 Clos des Briords yet.

That was my second choice…
:slight_smile:

Any Syrah by Cabot.

1993 Chandon de Braillies Corton Bressandes - I would be happy to pay 3x the price for it.

I loosely use the term QPR in reference to my daily drinkers. If I define QPR that way, this year I have bought more Raffault Chinon that anything else. The 2014 Baudry Les Granges has to be my front-runner for next year. An excellent wine in a seeminly excellent vintage, all of $16.99. I’ve already purchased more than a case, one of which arrives this week.

If I use the OP’s definition, it would be a toss-up between Juge Cornas and Levet Cote Rotie. Ranging from $50-65, I would likely still keeping buying them similar to the way I do Rougeard, which is now pushing $150 (if you can find them), tripling in price from just 10 years ago. These are unique, singular expressions of Northern Rhone syrah. But not for everyone. The Levet is the exact opposite of the vaunted LaLas, with a pungent stemmy nose. The Juge, one could posit, is the exact opposite of the burly Cornas of yore. It is an ethereal, lighter, gosh I hate saying this, Burgundian style of syrah.