Your ten most influential wines

1993 Arrowood Merlot - at a dinner with friends I was handed the wine list. I knew almost nothing, but picked the Arrowood. It was one of those “oh my” moments, and largely launched an obsession.

1995 Selbach-Oster Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - the wine that started the German Riesling craze in my house. Both Laura and I were blown away.

1998 Muller Catoir Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Spätlese - greatest Scheurebe ever made. Terry Theise specifically told us to buy it. We bought one bottle to try, and within a week bought 23 more.

1970 Cheval Blanc & 1970 Pétrus - listed together, as they were served blind in a flight together.

1945 Taylor Fladgate Port - served at the end of the blind tasting where we also had the two 1970 Bordeaux. The first truly great Port I tasted. Set an impossible bar.

1990 Truchot/1990 Bachelet - back when I knew zero about Burgundy, Maureen Nelson opened these at dinner. Mind…blown. I wish I could recall which bottlings they were, but will never forget the producers.

1976 J. J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Beerenauslese LGK - the seminal German dessert wine in my experience. Stunning. I managed to have it twice, and it was magic both times.

1985 Krug - Champagne obsession started here for both me and Laura

It would not be hard to name 10 more.

1986 Château Mouton Rothschild – birth year wine and it always left me super impressed
1991 Ridge Monte Bello – best American wine I had so far
2004 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Rabajà – first real Nebbiolo epiphany
1999 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes – makes we wish I could afford more Burgundy
2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard – first wine I bought a case of after tasting at the winery
2013 Haderburg Alto Adige - Südtirol Blauburgunder Hausmannhof Riserva – what a gorgeous Pinot, made me fall in love with Alto Adige (and it’s only $40!)
2013 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée 3.14 – reference Beaujolais: was a fan before, now I’m in love
2005 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche – made me spend way too much on Northern Rhone

My most influential wine experiences:

1970 - Mateus Rose - college - I’ve got a hot date.

1981 - Sutter Home white zinfandel - we must be connoisseurs, we’re buying wine by the case.

1982 - had a bottle of 1979 Lytton Springs zinfandel I had sat aside for a couple of years - wow, this is amazing! I’m going to start collecting and drinking good wine.

1982 - Grgich Hills chardonnay - no more white zin for us

1982 - visit to Chateau Montelena - nice cabs and chard - Napa is fun!

1988 - we visit Ridge winery for “A Day in the Vineyards”.

1990 - the 1987 Rafanelli zin wins our blind tasting and I begin ordering a case every year. The first year Patty Rafanelli delivers it to my door in her red pick-up.

1995 - Had a bottle Turley Aida’s zinfandel at the French Laundry - Helen Turley is God.

Biggest disappointment - a 1982 Chateau Lafite Rothschild given to us as a wedding gift opened 20 years later had gone bad.

1990/89? Joseph Phelps Insignia/Backus/Eisele - in 1993 lined up a wine tasting at the winery with some college buddies. I was only 18 years old but wasn’t prevented from tasting. First experience with serious wine. Soft spot for Phelps ever since.

1988 Rousseau CSJ - purchased in 1999, first red Burgundy bought in quantity with the idea of enjoying bottles over time

1990 Ramonet Ch-M Les Caillerets - purchased in 1999, first white Burgundy bought in quantity with the idea of enjoying bottles over time

1995 Lynch Bages - purchased in 1999, first red Bordeaux bought in quantity with the idea of enjoying bottles over time (did not last long enough to be mature)

1970 Ch. Lafite - purchased at auction in 2001, first bottle of wine for which I spent over $100, opened at my wedding later that year (with one of my friends who was at Phelps)

1982 Latour - from a friend’s cellar in 2002, first bottle of Latour. Could still taste the following day.

1966 Latour - bought from a collector, took to Per Se and paid the at the time $70 or so corkage fee, two bottles - it was just then hitting its stride. With other bottles - 1993 Pernot Bienvenues, a Kistler Chard, an Arnoux Suchots, champagne bought - was hurting the next day, lunch at Bouley not as well appreciated as it should have been.

1863 Barbeito Boal - first (and so far only) wine from the 19th century for me. In 2004/2005, was working as a somm and selling it for $69/pour. Easy, easy sell.

1968 Ch. Souverain - something I bought at auction and shared with some Napa winemakers in 2017, including Mike C. from Stony Hill. Great to taste a great in the Valley with some greats.

1995 La Tache - in 1999, my first (of now only two) vintages of La Tache, was just released and available at Peninsula Grill in Charleston, something like $550/bottle restaurant wine list price, I was still feeling the buzz the following afternoon.

Some great wines, some nice memories - looking forward to making more!

What a great thread and way to recall great times. For me:

The BV NV Chablis, the wine that started it all on Valentine’s Day in 1976, the cheapest dry white wine (my date’s preference) at l’Hermitage Restaurant (I was a student and janitor at the time).

1970 Robert Mondavi Petite Syrah – As I got into wine I found a wine merchant (Jason Brandt Lewis’ uncle for those who remember Jason) who steered me into a wine group. I brought this wine to my first tasting, it was wine of the night, and I was invited to stay in the group.

1974 Ridge Fiddletown and Geyserville Zinfandels – My first Zinfandels, and I thought they would all be this good.

1928 Climens and 1963 Rebello Valente – brought to a dinner the same night by Jason’s uncle, my first Sauternes (it’s been mostly downhill since then) and first Port, which started me on the road to a cellar that’s about ¼ dessert wines.

1989 Jadot Chevalier Montrachet les Demoiselles - Brought to a dinner by Barry Herbst, it made me realize how great white Burgundy could be. The first wine I spent more than $100 on.

1976 Fritz Haag TBA – the best wine I’ve ever drunk (probably in the late 80’s). No close second.

1976 Bott Freres Gewurztraminer – Not the greatest wine (although I thought so at the time), but it led to Trimbach and Hugel and Weinbach and Zind Humbrecht.

1999 Carlisle Sonoma Syrah – While many wines got high scores from Robert Parker, somehow the 95 this wine received made me want to buy some and started a great relationship with Mike Officer and Carlisle wines (almost 20% of my cellar, and I’m drinking the 2008 Two Acres as I write this).

I’m still trying to figure out wine ten.

David

Red Mountain Burgundy - The first wine I drank too much of and threw up. No wine for 6 years
Annie Green Springs - Good wine when you got the chicks coming over.
1975 Silver Oak Cabernet - My introduction to real wine.
1980 Leonetti Cabernet - There are good cabs made elsewhere that are unique and wonderful.
1969 Inglenook Cabernet - An appreciation of the original style of Cali Cabs prior to Silver Oak.
1999 Henry’s Drive Shiraz - The turning point to heavy Aussie wines, so rich in flavor.
1899 Seppelt 100 year old Tawny Port - Liquid orgasm. The 10 minute finish and you can only have a sip or two…
2003 Penner Ash Pinot Noir - Our rep knew we didn’t do pinot so he poured us a “light syrah.” Our start on pinot which quickly moved to RRV and SLH.
2006 Matua Sauvignon Blanc, NZ - Trying to learn to drink white wines. The acidity was palate cleansing and made me hungry. Everything tasted better. Certain wines for certain food/times.
2003 Araujo Eisele Vineyard Cab - Certain wines have all those facets that make you stop, sip, explore and enjoy everything it has to offer and food is secondary.

Anyone else’s lists include wines you’ll never know the name of? For example:

Whatever chablis I had at the farmer’s market on the bank of the Garonne with fresh oysters in Bordeaux. It was in a white paper cup. thats as much as I know. first time I tasted a wine and was like ohhhhhh now I see why people tell me that if I love food I should love wine.

Later same trip: some Sauternes whose name was never given with foie at the beginning of our first meal in Paris. first time I ever understood why a sweet wine might be useful. also first wine had in France.

It’s funny as I read down through this list of other folks…I see wines that would make anyone drool. I’m not sure my list will fit that model…but these are the wines that shaped my experiences.
I like wine-wine: a $10 Red from a German wine festival near Darmstadt in early 2000.
1st wine over $25: 2002 Joseph Phelps Cab. This was the wine that lured me into a willingness to spend more than $20 on a bottle of wine.
1st “serious” case purchase: 2005 Nicolas Joley Coulee de Serrant ($30/bottle).
Wine Ephiphany: 1995 Musar in the summer of 2007. In a line-up against 97 Brunello, 97 Napa, & 96 Bordeaux this stood out and commanded the attention of the room.
Oh…I like Champagne: 1996 Sir Winston Churchill in December 2011. I knew Champagne was good, and I liked it…but I did not actively buy more than 1-3 bottles/year until this point in my life.
I really do like Dessert wines: 1976 d’Yquem in the summer of 2007. I had many amazing wine experiences in the summer of 2007. In a night where we tasted through 3 cases of suspected old/bad/passed wines this was the reward at the end.
I like really old wine: 1966 Lascombes, I opened this for some friends hoping it would show well. It in-fact showed better & younger than an ‘82 Bordeaux that night.
Dry Riesling…I finally get it: 2007 Keller Absterd. While the later tasting of 2007 Keller G-Max re-shaped my understanding of dry Riesling. It was the Abtserd that hooked me first.
Oregon wine really, REALLY ages well: 1990 Elk Cove Reserve in 2011. It was better than many Burgs i’ve had.
Bojo needs more time in the cellar: 1996 Thivin in 2015. It was so beautiful and “Burgundian” that I really decided that I want to give them more time in the cellar.

Anonymous early 1970s Teroldego - introduced me to the enjoyment of wine
Anonymous late 1970s Casteller - Showed how fun and delicious a simple wine could be
1974 Tenuta Cerequio Barolo - an introduction to the divine juice
1978 Vietti Barolo Rocche - showed how fine that divine juice could actually be
1980 Nozzole Chianti Classico Riserva - showed that CCR could be great
1981 Edmeades Dupratt Zinfandel - Wait, this is Zinfandel?
1981 Simi Cabernet Sauvignon - taught me to ignore wine critics
1982 Ch. Poujeaux - revealed what potential in young wine looks like
1984 BV Private Reserve - wow was this rich and seductive on release, revealed the potential of Cali Cab
1970 Vega Sicilia Unico - set the bar for special occasion wines

74 Heitz Martha’s - As good as advertised. My first great wine.
91 Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru - I’ve had better red Burgundy since, but none brought as much joy as this one.
90 Trimbach Fred Emile - Still the greatest riesling I’ve ever had.
90 Trevallon - I loved this so much that Trevallon was the first place I visited in France.
9X Leflaive Clavoillon - Forget the vintage, but it was decadent.
90 Castellare I Sodi - Brunello should strive to taste like this. Also my favorite wine label.
88 Krug Mesnil - At a different level than any other Champagne I’ve ever had.
95 Rayas - Same night as the Mesnil. Rayas deserves their own AOC.
64 Monfortino - Best $50 I ever spent. Made me start collecting wine again.
90 Chave Hermitage - Oenological fireworks.

NV Mateus Rose - in college. Demonstrated that not all wine was horrible sickly sweet Manichevitz
1990 Drouhin Bonnes Mares - my Burgundy epiphany
1985 Chave Hermitage - opened by Greg dal Piaz which made me realize that syrah could produce wines just as complex and wonderful as pinot noir
1997 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon Blanc - my first introduction to what become, over the years, perhaps my favorite producer in the world
1995 Castello di Ama ‘Cassuccia’ - I really only bought it because it was being deeply discounted by the old distributor after they changed distributors. It introduced me to good sangiovese which is a love that I still hold.
1989 Trimbach Hors Choix- the only wine that I actually dreamed of drinking again after trying it
1964 Gonzalez Byass Oloroso - opened my eyes to the heights that Sherry can achieve
1979 Taittinger Comte de Champagne - Josh Leader opened this and it amazed me what aged Champagne can do
1996 Baudry Croix Boissee - start of my love affair with red Loires
1997? M. Ollivier Clos des Briords - - start of my love affair with Muscadet

A great topic for a thread. The question brought back some great memories and really highlighted the deep feelings I have had in years past for great wines and the place they’ve occupied in my life.

*'74 Clos du Val Cab - In the mid "70’s in San Francisco I worked down the street from The London Wine Bar, which billed itself as the country’s first wine bar. My first “major” wine purchase was a case of the "74 Close du Val Cab. I thoroughly enjoyed every bottle.

*'61 Trotanoy (375) - An incredibly compelling bottle. The mystique of the '61 vintage (in the early '80’s), the high cost and rarity, and most importantly the amazing color, nose, complexity and length left a VERY strong impression.

*'59 Langwerth von Simmern Hattenheimer Nussbrunnen Riesling TBA - I was extremely fortunate in the late 70’s-early '80’s to have a connection for some amazing '71 TBA’s from von Simmern and JJ Prum. All, without exception, were amazing. The '59 von Simmern Hattenheimer Nussbrunnen was profound. Dark, unctuous, unbelievable pure stone fruit sweetness perfectly balanced with the wine’s acidity made it an unforgettable experience. At the time I remember thinking that it was probably an immortal bottle.

*'69 La Tache - Opened with a good friend in the late 90’s. I’d had a number of “great” burgundies, but this was something completely different. The nose gushed from the glass and enveloped me. I vividly recall being dumbstruck by the dichotomy between the lightish brick color and the immense power of the wine. Revelatory and unforgettable bottle.

*'78 Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet - In the late '90’s, golden, perfectly balanced, spherical, great soaring nose, elegant, perfect. Stunning.

1982 Pichon Lalande - how could grape juice be so nice? I was hooked.

1990 DRC Grands-Echezeaux - wow, so this is Pinot Noir? Went and bought a mixed case of ‘90 DRC the next day, the most I had ever spent on wine till then.

1945 Haut Brion - best wine ever tasted and nothing has come close, it has been 20 long years and I am still hoping. Made other 100 pointers looked bad that night.

1959 DRC Romanee Conti - so this is a RC!

1947 Cheval Blanc - before it was opened, my friend kept telling me this wine was better than sex…What a liar!

1961 Latour - depressing day during the darkest hours of Asian Financial Crisis in ‘98, opened to cheer myself up.

1978 Jaboulet La Chapelle - the wine that got me interested in Syrah.

1993 Rousseau Ruchottes Chambertin - so they sold these for £350/case and critics gave it a really low scores. May I have a couple of cases please?

2008 Clos Rougeard Le Bourg - simply the best Cabernet Franc wine…wow.

1961 Jaboulet La Chapelle - my dream wine and probably never ever going to taste it with latest market price. Should have bought when it was US$5K/b…what a bargain eh…

Poop. That smell is poop. And I definitely smelled my way through a couple of cases worth of it back in the day.

This will be an all time great thread, thanks again for starting it!

Karl K: “Some great wines, some nice memories - looking forward to making more!” You killed it, true true true, great hobby!

Mike Kuller: Rafanelli, baby! (I was going to list Grgich and forgot. Our top ten has much overlap!)

Matt Stolz: “Anyone else’s lists include wines you’ll never know the name of?” Totally on board with you, I think most of my formative experiences were unrecollected vintages, etc.

This is one of those great threads that reminds us how lucky we are to be together here.

Great thread. Not sure I can remember all the wine names or come up with 10, but…

Epiphany 1: the beer guzzling me attends a work lunch in England hosted by an Italian manager with a love of burgundy. I have no idea what I drank in white or red burg, but I was converted to wine, if not burgundy strangely enough

Epiphany 2: Lynch Bages 1985. Love bdx ever since. And, WS got it right, RP got it wrong on the original reviews.

1. As someone else posted, 1982 Pichon Lalande- 1st “100” pt wine

2. 1982 Latour - a real benchmark in excellence. If the 1982 PL was 100 pts, this was > 100; so much for points

3. 2013 J. Daniel cuvee, Lail - did this really remind me of that 1982 Latour?

4. 1983 Beaucastel - poop, and more poop

5. Epiphany 3: 1990 ( or was it 1989) Niellon Batard - a white wine that made the red wine drinkers put down their glasses of superb bordeaux, cabernet, unico, etc

6. 1985 Groth Reserve - 1st “100” pt napa cab, fwiw I have enjoyed many a napa cab more than this , but it was excellent. Violets, I remember smelling violets

7. 1982 Beychevelle- purchase a case from a private cellar in the 90’s at cost less 10%; maybe my first lucky find

8. The old Prodigy wine board with RP. Learned a lot on that board and via my intoduction to Offlines.

I had one of those, too, with about the same length of negative effect. Even the smell of red wine would make me gag. But there’s not a chance I would remember the name of the cheap swill that did me in.

Luckily, I am very forgiving. [cheers.gif]

1961 LATRICIERES-CHAMBERTIN - Faiveley (in a half bottle)
1978 JORDAN Cabernet Sauvignon
1973 CHATEAU BEYCHEVELLE (mid 70s, just getting into wine - at the time I thought it was the greatest red bordeaux I had ever tasted)
1941 CHATEAU LATOUR (In a blue bottle - bottled during WWII)
1927 TAYLOR FLADGATE Oporto (Drank the whole bottle by myself)
1981 DAVID BRUCE Pinot Noir (1st American Pinot that excited me)
1995 GRAVNER Breg (Just wowed me)
1976 MAXIMIN GRUNHAUS Abstberg Kabinett (First great dry Riesling that shook my world)
1980 CRONIN Chardonnay (From the Paragon Vineyard in Santa Cruz, another wow wine)
1959 CHATEAU PETRUS _(Quite simply, the finest red wine I have ever tasted)
_

I moved up to the fine and rare end of biz in 1982 and was re-educated rapidly to be able sell the good stuff from first hand experience. I was one fortunate young dude! Keep in mind 1980’s importer pricing and availability in Europe made tasting lots of great bottles feasible and for me required.

Samples of OJT:
1967 Yquem first super complex wine in my first month , I blurted out “flavor circus”
1971 RC, La Tache and Richebourg Burg intro and instant peacock respect
1959 Mouton and Lafite great riper Bordeaux vintage intro
1964 Cheval 1.5L and Petrus examples of localized vintage greatness for Franc and Merlot
1969 DP Rose finesse bubbly
1975 Eisele balanced Napa greatness
1982 Pichon Lalande youthful exceptionalism
1986 Ramonet Batard “juiced” by declassified Montrachet, a fav which still haunts
1982 La Mouline sex in a glass
1945 Mouton was spoiled on a lark-SF restaurant had it at wholesale, had to do, peak!