Your top 3 GREATEST Montrachets ever tasted?

1978 DRC
1982 Ramonet
1992 Leflaive

'82/'86 Ramonet and '95 DRC. That '95 DRC maybe 10 to 12 years ago - I can still imagine the taste - it filled the room with other worldly aromatics. Lots have come close!

1993 Leflaive
1986 Pierre Morey
(tie) 1983 Ramonet / 1985 Ramonet

A 1986 DRC was memorable but the bottle was unfortunately a tad bit flawed.

Funny how many producers haven’t been mentioned.

I suppose, but despite the fact that there are, give and take, 35-40 of them each year, some are always better and some are always lesser. There are producers who make amazing Montrachet, and can very occasionally reach into the sphere occupied by DRC, Ramonet and Leflaive. Those that come to mind are Fleurot (particularly older bottlings), Fontaine-Gagnard, Chat. de Puligny-Montrachet and Sauzet (purchased grapes). But it isn’t often and when it does happen, it isn’t for easily explicable reasons. Lafon also is spoken of in this conversation, but I’ve never had a Monty from him that I’d call great. So I think it really isn’t that unexpected that the responses from folks who’ve had a fair share of Monty seem to focus on a very small handful of producers.

Not unexpected, just funny how wide the spread is between the top and the average. I have had a few Fleurots, and was never thrilled (taking that within that framework of Montrachet). I have enjoyed a little bit of Amiot, Latour and Fontaine-Gagnard, and found compelling examples there.

The old received wisdom is that Chevalier-Montrachet has much better owners. This thread is making me think there’s something to that, as my thrilling experiences with that wine seems spread across a wider range of producers.

Tough question, but maybe:

Comte de Moucheron 1959
Marquis de Laguiche-Drouhin 1961
DRC 2000

1995 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Montrachet
2008 Bouchard Père et Fils Montrachet
2007 Domaine Jacques Prieur Montrachet

1983 DRC
1983 Ramonet
1990 DRC

2004 DRC
2008 PYCM
2006 Sauzet

1990 DRC - Magnum
2011 Ramonet
2010 Lafon

1864 Montrachet Bouchard P&F my greatest ever white wine
1996 Montrachet Leflaive perfection and youth
1967 Montrachet DRC drunk with AdV the first day he invited me to visit DRC

Do they know what a mic drop is in France?
Well done sir.

Pedant. :wink:

1996 DRC
2004 DRC
2010 Blain-Gagnard

82/83/84/85/86 Ramonet at a dinner with Roger Verge cooking
78 DRC
71 DRC

That was a great bottle. Thanks dude!

Me too !

I think the 01 and 12 could join the club too in a few years

I also had a pair of eye openers last year. 1985 Laguiche was probably my favourite white of the year and way over my usually middling expectations for the Domaine. I also drank a remarkably good 2010 from Petitjean, who owns the smallest slice of the vineyard.

The 2004 DRC fully delivered on its lofty reputation. It was made even more sweet by being the last wine I drank before a month’s fasting and abstinence. The 04 and 10 (drank at a DRC horizontal) are future legends.