Your Top 5 Italian White Wines

The Monteraponi Trebbiano is great, but not a bargain.

I recently had a 2015 Vittorio Graziano Trebbiano Tarbianaaz that was cloudy, rich with candied orange and the good kind of funk. Ever changing, amazing wine. Advertised as a 2018, but stamped
“015” on the back label, so no doubt a case of not giving the importer what had been promised.

Hi Dennis,
I know in NY and the West Coast it’s brought in by Indie Wines. Such a delicious bottle and an overperformer for the money for sure!

1 Like

The Italian whites I drink tend to be lower end on the price scale. I am a big fan of Villa Bucci Verdicchio having had multiple vintages over the years. Tonight we are having a Fiano from Campania we have not yet tried: Colli di Lapio Fiano di Avellino. I am interested in drinking more Italian whites in general so I am really enjoying this thread.

Exactly what I meant . I agree with everything that you said . I wished we were a bit closer when it came to excellence .

A few of these have already been mentioned:

• Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis
  • Giuseppe Quintarelli Bianco Secco Ca del Merlo
  • Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Bianco - the two single vineyard bottlings: Santo Spirito and Calderara Sottana
  • Azienda Agricola Valentini Trebbiano d’Abruzzo
  • Edi Kante Vitovska Selezione (a relatively recent discovery)

Honourable mention:

• Hermann Vintage Tunina
  • Elena Walch Beyond the Clouds

I have been appreciating the whites more over the last couple of years. Food friendly, unoaked and priced well.

Last night I opened 2018 Bibi Graetz Casamatta, a Vermentino heavy blend. Going back for a case for $6 a pop on closeout.

Wines that I currently buy the most of, so they must be the best.

Terlan Pinot Bianco Vorberg

Guido Marsella Fiano di Avellino

Elvio Cogno Nascetta Anas-Cetta

Pieropan Soave Classico Calvarino

Tiefenbrunner Müller-Thurgau Feldmarschall von Fenner

All the other wines are terrific, but I must say that of the wines I’ve tasted, Cogno’s Nascetta is one of the less thrilling examples of this rare variety. I love Nascetta and I appreciate how they’ve managed to bring this nigh-extinct variety back to life and popularity, at least to some extent.

However, Cogno’s Nascetta has been rather herbal and, at times, even Sauvignon Blanc-ish in style, combined with a little bit of reduction. On the other hand, its overall style seems to promise some aging potential, so it’s possible that I’ve just had the wine way too young and it’d show much better at 10 years of age (like so many other Italian whites do). But for immediate consumption I’d say there are better Nascettas out there!

Colli di Lapio is so so so yummy! I suggest you check out Pietracupa as well. And if you want to splurge a little, Quintodecimo. But Colli di Lapio, man those wines are good.

In addition to Otto’s notes, you might want to check out their “Nova Domus”. It’s a bit out there for sure, and kinda pricey, but in certain vintages it’s really good and super interesting. Kind of a wild blend of PB, SB, and Sauv Blanc, and lots of fun.

I am totally unqualified to post on this topic, which of course won’t stop me:

Terlano Pinot Bianco Vorberg - for me, stands alone

Beyond the Clouds
Vintage Tunina
Onze Communes Petite Arvine
Pieropan Soave

Dan Kravitz

I think the Vorberg is the most mentioned wine in this entire thread. Pieropan Soaves (Soavii?) are delicious. Their Recioto is memorable as well but I haven’t seen it in ages.

2 Likes

Bingo!

I have been lucky enough to taste the Cogno Nascetta from the first vintages, and have been even luckier to taste them as they have aged. I agree that when young they can be unremarkable, I went so far as to call the early vintages the Pinotage of white wines, there was some similarity. However, with 8-10 years of age the wines transformed, and the most recent vintages have shown a marked improvement in quality over the first vintages so I expect even better results in due time. I am buying these wines to age, so Ill report back in 5 years or so, based on what I’ve tasted with Valter I expect to be sharing positive news.

I’m happy to see my hunch was right! I’ll be waiting for your report and perhaps I’ll need to stash away some bottles myself, if I manage to find those wines somewhere. It’s not as if it would be particularly easy to get one’s hands on a Nascetta!

With all due respect, I don’t think this is a particularly useful way of approaching the issue. Apples and oranges.

Something I came across in Bastianich & Lynch’s Vino Italiano quite a while ago probably says it best (not that it matters specifically, but I think they’re talking about Val d’Aosta). Are these wines “world class” (whatever that means…)? Probably not. But then, there’s nothing else in the world to compare them to.

Shouldn’t be surprised (and I am not) to see the same suspects showing up again and again. This kind of thread is renewed every year (maybe half year) and the list really hasn’t changed in about 10-15 years, showing the longevity and legacy of these producers making the best wine year-in and year-out. My only disappointment is the chance to see someone new. I will admit the Nascetta’s are a new addition, so…thanks!

1 Like

Ok , there are exceptions . But when it comes to chardonnay , sauvignon blanc and Riesling I just don’t think we play the same sport when it comes to top end products . Happy to be proven wrong one day . :slight_smile:

My favorites so far:

Benito Ferrara Greco di Tufo Vigna Cicogna
Pieropan Soave Classico Calvarino
Cantina Terlan Pinot Bianco Terlano Riserva Vorberg
Kellerei Nals-Margreid Pinot Bianco Alto Adige - Südtirol Sirmian
Tiberio Trebbiano d’Abruzzo Fonte Canale

Lol that is true. Haven’t been particularly thrilled by any Italian Riesling and most Chardonnays have been quite anonymous as well. Probably the best results I’ve seen with Sauvignon Blanc when vinified with the skins, but when it comes to traditional white wines, neighboring countries France and Austria do give quite tough competition.

But when it comes white wines in general, most of the wines listed in this thread are easily world-class wines. Who cares about Riesling, Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc, when the best Italian indigenous varieties can offer such pleasure?

Lorenzo, frankly, I can hardly imagine that anyone in France or Germany is feeling particularly crestfallen because they don’t make great Timorasso, Fiano, Vernaccia, whatever… A ciascuno il suo :slight_smile:

1 Like