Zaltos now made in Slovakia?

Incidentally that looks exactly like my sister’s car. Although she has the turbo version, which is an Italian word for ‘extra unreliable with more costly repairs’.

I’ll replace with Zalto Bordeaux when they are available since they seem better made and I have used them for many years, but in the meanwhile added a couple of Spiegelau Definition Bordeaux to the rotation a month ago that seem to work about as well. Very similar shape capacity balance and thinness, and if you aren’t paying attention I doubt you’ll notice the difference. (Biggest difference I’ve noticed is how the stem attaches to the bowl–quite a bit thicker, so the balance is slightly different.)

Cheezus, you guys are brutal. Stan, I understand the point you’re making. Sorry you got flamed.

1 Like

ECB86F2C-3CF1-444B-B02C-19E88B1F4798.jpeg
Both are zalto Bordeaux. The weight and bowl shape are completely different. Not even just a small variance. They don’t look like the same wine glass

One came to the restaurant during Covid. One was prior to it.

Wow, which one is correct?

Hard to make a case for long studies on aromatics ect if that’s the quality control.

The one on the left looks more bdx ish?

1 Like

left.

One of the guys in the service team was complaining that the recent ones have distinctively been different - weight/thickness/size. But we had about 2-3 of those “new” ones at the table mixed in. It was very clear that they weren’t the same stem.

Not saying I dislike the shape of the one on the right. I thought it showed the wine well. albeit is heavier stem. Just speaking more on changes.

1 Like

This is why Charlie’s sig doesn’t say “Zalto is Zalto”

More importantly, what does this say about the cosmic angles of the Earth? ZALTO glass perfection - Angles

This is so bizarre. I was considering supplementing my Zalto Bdx stems so I can have matching stems for every guest…

Here’s an update with my own personal experience buying new Zalto Bordeaux stems in light of the above report that the shape has changed. My original set was purchased in February 2018 from CJF and my latest set was purchased from Aldo Sohm in December 2022.

Pleased to report that the shape of the bowl is exactly the same. When I first took them out of the box I thought maybe they were indeed different because of how the light hits them, but putting them side-by-side confirms they are the same shape, at least in the outline. Weighing my new set showed they were within about ~5 grams of the old ones as well. Now are they identical? Unfortunately not, as the stem is noticeably thicker with the new glasses. At first this bothered me, but the stem feels a bit more sturdy now, so I have decided to live with it.

Two Zalto Bordeaux, one from 2018 and the other from 2022:

For sake of comparison, here are two Glasvin champagne glasses that I just received in the same box and that have more significant variation that the manufacturer states is normal. Look at the shape of the bottom of the bowl and the noticeable arch in the base in base of one of the glasses: