Zin recommendations?

My hands down favorites are Carlisle and Ridge but have enjoyed many of those mentioned here. The one I did not see mentioned that would worth a try is Seghesio. In good years their Sonoma bottling is a real value.

Surprised no one has mentioned Neal. Hard to beat the price point for the quality.

A couple of old school Zin purveyors - Biale (many old Napa vineyards) and A. Rafanelli (DCV).

Had a 2017 Hartford RRV Zinlast night. Was quite ripe and “porty”.

Go to their website and sign up for the mailing list. I don’t think there is a long wait, pricing is substantially better than retail, and there is no obligation — you just buy what you want when the offers come out, I think twice a year.

That had to have been an off bottle Brian. I’ve had a handful of the most recent vintages and none of them have been even close to porty. You should definitely try another one and report back at some point, as I feel like youd normally love this wine.

Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out.

Definitely recommend the Turley Zins.

Inline with your represented style I would give Radio-Coteau Zinfandel a try.

Kokomo and Mauritson in Dry Creek Valley
Fields Family Wines in Lodi

Green & Red

We’re big fans of Zichichi’s Old Vine zin, from Dry Creek Valley. $35/bottle with futures order.

Bucklin!

Besides my regular zin faves of Turley, Carlisle, Bedrock.
Mauritson, specifically their Rockpile offering and Storybook in Calistoga make solid zin juice for under $50.

+1 on Turley.

I know they have the rep of being big fruit bombs, but they have really tamed it down since ~2014 under Teagan. Also, pricing is substantially better on the mailing list vs retail.

1 Like

Never heard of them before - I’ll have to check it out!

Thanks for the new reco!

Thanks Rich for all the suggestions and details. I have always found Turley to do big well, and on the rarer occasions I wanted something really powerful, I was always happy to have some Turley on hand. I think that’s still true under Teagan - I wouldn’t ever really call their wines “restrained” - but I do like them just as much if not even a bit more now, though my sample size is not all that large.

I’m glad you mentioned Matthiasson - I have a bottle of his Limerick Lane zin that I picked up on a whim a little while ago so will definitely have to crack that open. Maybe I’ll have to give Hartford another shot, too - my opinion is based on only one day of tasting through their wines.

Oh man don’t remind me! I am so bummed to be missing this. Really need to plan better next year. Thank you though for the suggestions - onto the list they go.

You know, I never had much luck with Seghesio in the past, but recently tasted their Home Ranch and Pagani bottlings and was very pleasantly surprised, so they’re back onto my radar.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I’ve made a list and it looks like Bucklin, Talty, Mauritson, and Nalle are first up. Will report back with any particular successes!

The first three being in Dry Creek makes for a good tasting day.