Zin recommendations?

Awesome Glenn. Always a treat to open an older Ridge. Opened a 1980 Howell Mountain zin a little while back that was great and also a deep/dark color with minimal bricking. Good stuff!

Hartford Court OVZ are ones I’m highly interested in and wish their prices were a little more affordable, but they appear to be well-loved.

Yep, judging by some of your posts Daniel, I’m pretty sure you’d dig em. Once in a while you can find good deals at auction. Their old vine is also decently priced - think I saw it for $30 (or less) at Total Wine.

They’re actually more for my Pops, but I actually like Zinfandel a lot too haha. That must have been their Russian River OVZ which is also quite good for the price.

Yep, that’s the one! Right up there withe Bedrock and Carlisle OVZ’s…albeit slightly higher in price.

Hartford or Hartford Court? Are they the same?

The 1/2 case of Hartford zin I ordered came today.

My wife likes Hartford Court Chardonnay.

Yeah, they’re the same. You could use them interchangeably (I think).

Going to second a bunch of recommendations already in the thread:

-Hartford Court (/ Hartford Family Winery) Highwire Zinfandel - Has a distinctive floral nose, bramble fruit, and often a white-pepper note in the finish.

-Radio-Coteau - Lemorel Vineyard (brighter red fruit, opened a 2017 today).
-Dutton-Goldfield - Morelli Lane Zinfandel

Didn’t realize the two wines above came from quite nearly the same spot in Occidental until I did my research. One of my favorite wines of all time was a 10+ year old Morelli Lane Zin. These are both really great wines for a balance of fruit character and acidity.

-Elyse winery Morisoli Vineyard Zinfandel – has some rounder red fruit and classic “dusty” character. I’d have more of these if not for the pandemic.

-Joseph Swan
-Klinker Brick (seconding the Old Ghost)
-Harney Lane (I like Lizzie James, may be on the fruity side for you)

-Turley - Mead Ranch Atlas Peak - This has been a consistently brighter/less heavy zin for me. Higher elevation. Lives up to the hype on fresh fruit and acidity.

If you happen to find 2012 Russian River Valley or CA coast Zins, those have been reliably drinking for me no matter who they were from – bottle age has been kind to them as a rule. Very big, very quality vintage.

1 Like

2019 Ridge Zinfandel Paso Robles - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (11/26/2021)
Day 1: Spices, dust, green peppers, bramble, dark fruits, pepper and floral notes. Medium finish and enjoyable wine on the pop and pour. This should improve with some air. 90 points
Day 2: Showing some nice tiny berries, mild spices, bramble, green peppers, black pepper, dust and floral notes. Enjoyable but this needs to be cellared for a while. 90+ points
Day 3: Sour berries, bramble, green peppers, spice, dust and floral notes. Good overall but not a wine I would purchase again for $30.00. 90 points
Recommendation: For sure not a big Zin and needs at least 5 years in the cellar. Hard to tell where this is going in terms of improvement. (90 points)

Not bad but not nearly as good as the Seghesio I had earlier this month.

1 Like

Thanks for the above recommendations and I purchased a 375mL of the 2019 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard. Was ecstatic to see the less than $1 shipping and I’d buy even more wine if more wineries and shops had similar shipping rates. Was a no-brainer at only $25 (total). Will purchase more if my dad and I enjoy this bottle too.

In Hawaii with the fam and snagged a 2018 Hartford Old Vine here on island. Really good blue brambly fruits but less ‘deep’ than previous vintages. Maybe it will flesh out a little more with age.

The interesting thing was that it had a Diam 30 cork. I would have thought a 10 would have been more appropriate but maybe this will age longer than I anticipated??

Just wanted to give a big thank you and thumbs up to Scherrer Winery. Only 88 cents for shipping and it arrived in only 2 days. Just incredible!

1 Like

Some of the best Zin, and people, in the biz.

The Zen master of zin has returned. Worth buying.

O&F is awesome. You can’t go wrong with any of them but I dig the Teldeschi Frank’s Block the most.

1 Like

Miro Cellars has made solid Zins from old vineyards for several years.
I will try the latest, a 2019 from Dry Creek and report back, under $40 and well reviewed.

Nice Richard, please do! A buddy of mine loves Miro but I’ve only had a PS, which was solid.

I love these older threads being revived. I forgot about several of these producers like Zichichi and Mauritson! I did not know Elyse still made a Zin but Morisoli was once one of our favorite Zins. I will have to look some of them up next time I am in the area.

Thanks!

Already opened up the Scherrer and it’s really good (especially for the price). Definitely worth drinking young.

Try Easton Zin, or Sky. Both very nice! I also like Scott Harvey as well, those have been tougher to find at retail.