Zinfandels - What are your favorites?

Storybook ($40-$55), Williams-Selyem ($50), Hartford ($35-50), Ridge ($25-40), Turley ($20-75)

For a cheapy I really like Klinker Brick ($18)

Storybook I would call elegant and structured, but I wouldn’t call any of these jam bombs. I like Ridge better with some age.

Ridge and Carlisle

Do not drink as many as I used to but still love Rafanelli and Ridge. If I am in the right frame of mind - some Martinelli, Turley and Carlisle can be excellent.

I already posted this on the North Sonoma thread:
You can pick up superlative 2008, 2009, and 2010 Ravenswood Teldeschi Zinfandels (a very old vine Dry Creek vineyard) at reduced prices (the winery no longer has cachet even though Joel Peterson is still there- everybody scrambles for his son’s Bedrock or Carlisle) such as $22.99 to $24.99. These wines are glorious.

I always buy Ridge, in addition to the Geezer and Lytton, in certain vintages Ponzu and Eastbench as well. These wines are always consistent and priced fairly. I love the Storybook style, although they have gotten expensive. Also a shout out to Scherrer, in particular the Shale Terrace which often sells out on futures. It’s a stony, most unusual Zin with restraint; had the 2010 recently and all of us at table praised the wine.

Scott Harvey Old Vine Reserve

+1

Biale gets love from me!

Black Sears and our very own Berserker Eric Keating have made my two favorite Zins from the past year.
Eric’s Montecillo Vineyard has blown away everyone I’ve poured it for.

Zin was the first wine I really enjoyed but my tastes have shift toward Italy, Spain and Greece so the zins I drink now are in no way jammy or round.

Nalle - my favorite, plenty of acid and structure for aging. In fact, it needs a bit of age, imo.
Dutton-Goldfield
Porter Creek

Ridge, Turley, Seghesio, and Chappellet - when I need to confess my zins… newhere

+1 You can’t beat Ridge in terms of quality, availability, and price.

Carlisle, Rafanelli, some Mazzaco bottlings, Quivera, Bedrock, Wilson Family

Great recs so far. I will add Gamba, Limerick Lane and Woodenhead.

Edit to add Joseph Swan.

Carlisle
Saxum Paderewski * (blend)
Gamba
Turley
Prisoner * (blend)
Hartford
Valdez
Kangarilla Road (Though it’s been several years since I’ve been able to get it.)

Since no one has mentioned it…I would add Brown Estate out of Napa Valley.

Tom

Nalle is excellent and quite interesting in the zin field.

I also like Ridge and Bedrock.

Rusden from the Barossa needs a mention. I would also mention Green and Red, IMO the chateau grillet of the napa valley. And way the 2010 Carlisle Martinelli Road Zin was just singing tonight.

Dry Creek.

+2 for Green and Red, hands down my favorite Zinfandel. I would really like to try a Scherrer. Also, I buy a couple of Ridge Lytton and Geyserville most every year to cellar.

Since no one has mentioned them, I’ll add Broc Vine Starr zinfandel and Hobo Sonoma and Branham Vineyard zinfandels.

Both are in the 13.5% and under category. They are very savory styles of zinfandel, not jammy at all. Really vigorous with real structure. Claret style zinfandel from the days of yore.

I find it interesting that these young Turks are at the forefront of this style. I’m really excited by this new wave of wines coming out of CA.

Cool quote from Kenny Likitprakong of Hobo, “if you are serious about making wines in CA, you should make a zinfandel,” or something to that effect. As much as I am a huge fan of Rhys and ESJ, I have to agree. I think zinfandel can be such a wonderful and unique expression of sites in CA.

Also, if you get a shot at Broc white zinfandel, don’t miss it.