TN: Pepiere 2007 Granite du Clisson

Drinking pretty nicely after 15 minutes in the decanter. Unlikely to live long enough to find out how it is after a few hours in the decanter. Shed a bunch of its baby fat and showing some real zing. Great match with a stir fry with mild curry.

This may be my favorite muscadet ever.

Certainly great stuff and a very top muscadet. I don’t know that I would have opened it but I was sorting stuff in the cellar and noticed that the label had come unglued and fallen off.

A rockstar of a wine. I just tasted this last tuesday and was blown away. And what is it, like $22?? [wow.gif] SInful.

I love this wine. I bought 3 cases and smile every time I open one. Great qpr .

I’m also a huge fan of this wine - it has more depth than the other excellent Pepiere wines. I bought a bunch and wish I bought more - it’s one you can’t have too much of, and will age indefinitely. The 2005 was also great, but the 2007 is the best muscadet I’ve had. Possibly the best qpr white in the world.

I have a feeling that eventually the 2005 may meet or even exceed the 2007, but the 2007 certainly has shown better young and I’m not sure it will improve in bottle the way I think the 2005 will. So I suspect I’ll drink most or all of my 2007 before my 2005.

Is there going to be an '09 Clisson?

I’ve heard there will be. Release should not now be too distant - David at CSW would know.

How does this cuvee compare to the Briords and Les Gras Moutons?

The Clisson spends 2 years on its lees, so it is even richer than the Gras Moutons. Yet it retains significant acidity and minerality. It is rich enough to not really qualify as classic Muscadet IMO but you couldn’t say that it doesn’t show its origins.

Seems to be debatable what is “classic”, as the terminology/definition seems to be quite mutable & in the eye of the beholder. Briords can be quite rich but still with bracing acidity, or it can be leaner/more ‘taut’, depending on the vintage

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1042315
^This one was very rich, but still not full bodied, and also on the very ripe side; as far from “classic” as you could get.

I’m a Peppiere devotee and have had a couple of bottles of this, but don’t love it now the way some others do. I think it needs a few years, judging by the 02 Luneau-Papin Excelsior, which receives similar elevage and is just now beginning to get really good.

Different strokes - for me, even the most basic Melon wines aren’t really attractive until a few years after release.

Thanks for the info.
I’ve only recently “discovered” good Muscadet and am already going ga-ga over them.

Just finished the second half of an 05 Luneau-Papin Clos des Allees after sealing it in a 375 several days ago - mm-mm good. For real wine at an everyman price, these are unbeatable.

Thanks for the heads up on this which I never had before. Just picked up 6 bottles. Had an 09 Clos des Briods recently. Really enjoyable in and with mussels at home.

Muscadet has made the loss of white Burgundy easier to take . . .
alan

And yet you still pay mega $$$ for older Montrachet alan??? Lol, trying to get a diehard Burg guy like DC to convert to Muscadet. You know, I can see a blind tasting, dbl blind is always better to separate the egos out…“stump the chump”; lets do some older Muscadet, like 1995, 1995 Clos St Hune, 1995 Williams-Selyem Allen Chard (fabulous with stronger seafood) & some Monty’s with this year’s 1st week run of Yukon Chinook salmon and see which wine matches best with the best of the best salmon.<whimpy elegant Monty’s need not apply.

There are just so many different styles/tastes in Muscadet, it’s virtually as variable as Burgundy is, not just vintage variances, but more so terrior/winemaking/producer variances…huge differences (at least to my notoriously demanding/finicky palate). A lot of Muscadets are less food friendly matches, the range is more narrow where they are perfect foils for what your dinner plate has on it. And of course, it’s always subjective and depends on your experience level, as in this example:

I would have to disagree, but I don’t think Cowan really has access to the same higher-end quality French goat cheeses I do, which I did taste with that 2002 Muscadet. That Bregeon Muscadet just isn’t Muscadet ‘lean’ enough, doesn’t have that ‘cut’ such that there is a synergy between it and the goat cheese like there would be with say a younger Clos de Briords, or Comte Leloup Chasseloir 2005. There is no pineapple in it, and it’s not a “great” match with goat cheese. A really good goat cheese like the one I get, runs $25/bouche/log can bring out the fruitiness of the more classical styled/leaner Muscadet in a synergistic way, and the wine will enhance the tangy goat cheese flavor, both being more ‘precise’ for the marriage…it’s fascinating.

Briords isnt’ really rich enough, compared to other specific bottlings/producers wines to be an optimal match for mussels.

I would choose this one above almost all for mussels due to the very ripe, rich, thick consistency much like a '2001 Raveneau 1er Chablis, golden but braced by enough acidity to keep it lighter bodied and perfect with mussels I had:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1042315

That Private cuvee M actually reminded me of the Raveneau from 2001 I had earlier in the year, while a '99 Dauvissat ‘La Forest’ drank along side that Muscadet, acted/seemed more the character of a classic Muscadet (only with of course Chardonnay fruit flavors) which was much lighter straw yellow in color, at it’s peak imo, and delicious with oysters (not mussels), great acidity/minerally lenght…only short a bit on the length of finish a GC Chablis from that producer would have.

It’s closer to $25, but that special bottling from Marc Olivier is a bit more atypical due to the long, long aging on the lees. However, the lees aging/stirring of Leflaive is supposed to give those wines the ‘smoky’ or sometimes noted as ‘oaky’ flavors…as well as higher risk for premox???

Got mine for $20, including shipping.

Where? TIA.