Suckling at Spottswoode: The Movie

It puts the lotion on itself.

C’mon, Suckling has already given us “I’m XX points on that”, who knows what gifts he still has to give to the wine community.

It’s amazing he would think people are interested in listening to him reel off cliched adjectives and point scores when the winemaker and owner are sitting right there. How about asking them something about how they decide on their style, their priorities compared to other winemakers, the challenges in different vintages? No, his opinions are more interesting.

“I’m XX points on that” – the critic telling the lowly wine consumer what to think – is dead as a business model. But “I’m here” – using your access to winemakers to ask interesting questions and help wine consumers understand the choices they make – could still work.

These two posts are absolutely spot on…he seems to be a caricature of a “wine snob”. If I was a total novice looking at this video, it would totally turn me off to the beauty of wine. [bleh.gif] I absolutely love Spottswoode wines (well documented on this board) and I know the 2008 is a beautiful wine. They really don’t need this type of publicity but they must have felt it to be beneficial. To me, his pomposity is a turn off and I am glad I am not a " newbie" as he would turn me off to wine in general. [soap.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [stirthepothal.gif]

Thanks, Leo. Hope you’re well. I should be back around a little more regularly in 2011. Hope to be in NYC in June - I’ll look you up if I head that way!

Watched twice, with consistent notes. The video feels like it was cut for a reality show that makes its contestants into the worst possible caricature of themselves.

If he actually provided some sort of an interview… got details about their philosophies and winemaking practices, discussed the history of the winery, etc… these videos would actually be valuable and conceivably interesting. Instead it’s like Wine Spectator meets “books on tape”.

And what’s with the uptalk: “I’m here at Spottswoode Estate? In Napa Valley? In St. Helena?”

And did he really pronounce the word “valley” as “VAH-Lee”.

His speech is like so AH-fected?

I think these videos do him no justice. He was much better off, behind the scences, opaque to readers as the critic with a merely funny name.

Regarding the 2007: “Don’t touch that until 2015”. I’m pretty sure that was meant for you Rob McKay, unless of course you want to bring some to the Napa event next month! [cheers.gif]

[rofl.gif]

That’s very good,Barry.

We’re changing the wine world one scarf at a time pileon

As has been said above - it would have been great to actually have some comments from the winemakers - other than the look of shock at the points. Maybe that is something he offers on the $15 per month plan.

Ugh. 3 and a half minutes of video and 90% of it is the critic bestowing scores in that most awkward of situations. I want to hear the winemakers talk about their wines. I don’t care about scarves and kiss-this-rings and Noppa Volleys and declarative sentences that are somehow turned into questions with strange vocal intonations.

I just want to hear the winemakers. Gah.

That’s three minutes of my life I’m never getting back… Awful. He’s better off not speaking. Let the writing speak for itself…oh, yeah, nevermind.

JD

I’m sooo glad that Suckling is on the case, finding great new wines before anyone else knows about them!

[welldone.gif] [rofl.gif]

Was it me, or did she seem like she was trying really hard to not burst out laughing when JS was in adjective overdrive.

Now if he were to say this wine is undrinkable…well that would be something.

As far as Spottswoode, good wines, but I am a member of a new political party called the “wine is priced too damn high”. Similar to the “rent is too damn high” party in NY.

I think nearly everyone is missing the point. This is clearly a parody. It is a screen test for SNL. He is pointedly making fun of RMP by looking so RMPish. I’m surprised so few have gotten the joke yet. You are all too serious, methinks, to see what is patently obvious to me. JL is a comic genius!!

It looked like he was wearing make-up…really sad…

My wife looked over my shoulder and pointed out “that guy is wearing a lot of make-up.”
Another gem: “So, it’s a video of an effeminate man talking to a woman? I don’t get it.”

I tried to explain, but could only come up with “I’m 100 points on you, honey.”

Whoa, that is my younger brother’s Doppleganger. Right down to the borderline obesity and tighty whities!

All that’s missing is some kind of sword made out of duct tape and cardboard.

Is the perfect woman attainable? Probably not. But that doesn’t stop you from quoting her hilarious remarks on Suckling.

PeterTryba.wineberserkers.com . . . . quoting his awesome wife perfectly