Suckling at Spottswoode: The Movie

Are we absolutely sure that subscribers don’t get a 30-minute video where Suckling is shown taking a full and informative tour of the winery, while discussing the wines at length with the ladies without staring at his iPad every 2 seconds?

There’s only one way to be sure…that’s for Nick Ryan to get a subscription and then tell us!

In addition to all of the fine observations above, no one seemed to notice that Suckling had drained (or mostly drained) the glasses in front of him. It’s noteworthy especially in comparison to the glasses of the women, who apparently decided to taste and not guzzle the wine…

Oooooh, and I love it when he declares that “fine wine is all about the aging.” Thank god for critics with scarves…

Bruce

Time to take one for the team, Nick!

Cool, I’m going nowhere in June, so dinner Chez Leo!

He actually used a descriptor that I find quite accurate, and one I’ve not previously heard of - ‘stones in the sun’

You’ve never heard that before? Isn’t that what happens when you are lying on your board?

High SPF sunblock recommended.

No, because my stones are in the water, brah.

So the wine tastes like schweddy balls?

When he said Napa Vol-Ley I almost spit out my food.

If you had an ascot wound around your windpipe like that, that’s the way you would pronounce it, too.

Bruce

Come on… there HAS to be one person here who’s already subscribed? Don’t be afraid to step out of the shadows, Mr. Lurker, we won’t make fun of you (that much)…

Bruce - did you notice his glasses were different from Beth’s and the winemaker’s glasses? His were smaller. Brought his own? For me, as someone who gives tastings, this stood out in a big way. And it was curious.

possibility that he wants to make sure that when he tastes a wine it’s always from the same glass. In case each glass imparts a different nose based on shape/size.

I’m sure this post will not be popular, but I have to say that Beth is a very nice woman, married and with a couple of kids. and works hard at everything she does. Aside from that, I cannot imagine any woman in her position that wouldn’t be hurt being described in a public forum as “a masculine woman.”

Not to be all serious and Berry Crawford, but I was kind of serious in my initial post in this thread. IMO, this is one of the absolute best wineries in Napa - red and white wine both. IIRC, this winery has been owned and largely staffed, and the wines been made by women for many years. They did most of the work (not sure about the vineyards…). Having to listen to some dude throw numbers at their hard work like he was the rock star was, frankly, kind of galling.

Most of the women I have met in wine production knew they would have dirty hands, and that make-up was more of a special occasion thing. It sucks they had to be the contrast to the wine critic in question…

I assume that either you are pulling our legs with the above post, or perhaps this was your first Suckling video. There are dozens now. No parody, no tongue-in-cheek. He is neither bright enough or deep enough for that. He is a totally self-absorbed, Left Coast boy. Warren Beatty without the looks, the money OR the haircut…

I thought I saw James spitting out some wine so I don’t think he guzzled any. I would have guzzled.

Also, it must be difficult to give grades right there in front of the winemaker and owner without being pressured to inflate them. Would he really ever say “This wine is not that good, I’m only 89 points on that” and ever expect to get invited back to Spottswoode again?

When eBob started and was a complete nobody, a lawyer with a wine Jones, he bought all his stuff at retail. dc.

If I had known he was such a wiener I would have completely disregarded his work at WS. Maybe it’s best for wine writers to be be read and not heard?