LA/VENTURA WINE DINNER - Sonoma v. SRH Pinots, 11/4/10

UPDATED POST - Enough interest so this is now a firm date:

Berserkers:

As I initially said, my wife has been wanting to take part in a Berserker event but didn’t want to drive 50 miles to Glendale for the Saxum event (which was great - thanks Brian). So, it was suggested I try to put together a wine dinner/tasting in the Thousand Oaks/Calabasas/Agoura area. After some limited feedback, and with a desire to keep this less expensive, I am arranging a dinner and tasting at Lazy Dog Cafe on November 4, 2010, at 7:00 pm.

The theme will be Sonoma v. Santa Rita Hills Pinots.

So, I am asking for updated interest as well as confirmation for those who indicated their interest before a date was set.

The restaurant is Lazy Dog Cafe. No Corkage and a diverse menu. I think we can feed everyone for $30-35/pp all inclusive! However, Lazy Dog will only take a groups of 20-30 people on a Monday through Thursday only. So, I have this set for 11/4. I know a couple people said that won’t work for them. I cannot please everyone though, so long as there are at least 16 interested I say we go forward. Lazy Dog confirmed their no corkage fee for the large group, so long as it is not on their wine list. I do not see that as a problem either. They will leave it open menu, or we can choose up to 10 choices for a fixed menu. I don’t care either way but I don’t want to get stuck with the bill!

You’ll bring one bottle per person, and if a couple is attending, that they try to bring one bottle from each region, with the foil removed in a plain brown paper bag. We will number the bottles when everyone is there and I will bring a tasting sheet.
So far, those interested (including maybes) are as follows:

Confirmed (so far):
Bruce (and Laurie)
Bob Milton +1
Paul Ketelhut +1
Chris Whetstone
Mike and Dana Stoneking
Ken & Wendy G (friends)
Brian and Jennifer Bohr
Kathy O
Adam R
Larissa & Chad

Tentatives:
Yoni & Shilo

Possible tally for 11/4 ( 17-19)

Let me know your interest - and confirm if you previously said you were interested.

Lazy Dog Cafe sounds great. My wife and I are more Cab fans than Pinot, but either would be fine.

Ashley and I are interested. Of course, our attendance is date-dependent. I’d vote for Lazy Dog over something fancy, and I’d vote for Pinot over Cabernet.

Shilo and I are also in, date dependent. This is very close to where we live. We can do Cab or Pinot and I like the Lazy Dog idea…

Berserkers:
Based upon the responses so far, I called Lazy Dog Cafe. You can check them out at
http://www.lazydogcafe.com/

They will take a group of up to 25 inside, or 30 outside, on a Monday through Thursday only. So first, let me know if during the week impacts your interest.

Next, they confirmed their no corkage fee for the large group, so long as it is not on their wine list. I do not see that as a problem either.

As for food, they have a rather eclectic menu. They will leave it open menu, or we can choose up to 10 choices for a fixed menu. I don’t care either way but I don’t want to get stuck with the bill!

So we can plan this further, lets start with a list of people available on a Monday through Thursday at 7:00 p.m.

We’ll worry about the theme later…

Bruce

For us it would have to be on a Saturday/Sunday to be able to deal with the commute.

If it goes that way, either Cab or Pinot works.

Bruce: What about Leila’s? Anyhow, could be in, date dependent

Mon thru. Thur. wouldn’t work for me. I’m in the same boat as Arnie and Lisa. That said, there’s a lot of days coming up when Ashley and I wouldn’t be able to attend even if it is on a weekend, so don’t let me sway you too much.

recomendation: make this as easy on yourself as possible, Bruce. (i.e.: keep an open menu, put it on a date that’s convenient for YOU, and figure out right NOW how many people you’re willing to have at the event and let that number be known)

I was thinking of this idea: Kosta Browne vs. Field, using only the Russian River Valley and Sonoma Coast bottlings. Matched up against other RR and Sonoma pinots. Count me in for the next event regardless.

My wife and I can make most any week night at 7. Either pick yourself or a group menu would be fine - the times we’ve eaten at the Lazy Dog the food has been very good. Looking forward to meeting some of the people behind the avatars here!

My wife and I are interested (again date dependent) weeknights will work fine for us.

It’s about time to meet some berserkers. Weeknight should be no problem, would prefer Tu or Th. but will try to make whatever date is chosen. Count us in, wife +1.

So, for those interested, how soon should we plan this for? How does Thursday, November 4 work?

If we do Pinot, I liked the Kosta Browne v. the Field idea. Another idea could be Sonoma Coast v. Russian River, or Sonoma County v. Santa Barbara County Pinot.

Let me know if November 4 works, and if so, what format the majority prefer.

Bruce

Interested, but prefer Cab over Pinot. 11/4 doesn’t work for me though - about any other weeknight does.

If this is the level of interest, maybe the weekend at a different locale is better? Well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Count us in as defintie maybe’s–I’ll be able to drink again by then.

Hey Bruce, it’s the weekend, it’s a beautiful day to be outside and not online, and besides that it’s football season. I like the idea of No. Cal vs. So. Cal (central Cal) with the Pinot’s.

Please count my wife and I in as a strong maybe, happy with anything Pinot, Kosta vs ?, Santa Barbara vs Sonoma, or California Cabs are fine too

I’m a strong maybe.

KB versus the field was decided long ago for me. [stirthepothal.gif] Santa Rita Hills(SB) vs Sonoma would be fun.

I’ve edited post number 1 to reflect a tentative date, list of tentative attendees, and the locale. Assuming everything is a go, like with the Saxum event, it would be great for someone who cannot attend to help coordinate the offerings to keep it even-handed.

Bruce