people like bad wine

As Peter T. says in his signature.

FIL takes us to dinner for my birthday, my choice of the two nicest restaurants in town. I pick the one with BYOB and no corkage. We brought two sentimental wines but decent. The restaurant is EXPENSIVE.

Guy at the take next to us has a magnum of Woodbridge. it was all I could do to not take a picture.

He was probably looking over at you thinking that you were a loser because you brought two ‘regular’ bottles, instead of a magnum…like a boss.

Was it Woodbridge a White Zin??

I am incredulous! Woodbridge actually has magnums? People actually guzzle that stuff? There is no accounting for taste…

What vintage? [oops.gif]

Snob alert: Woodbridge is at LEAST as good as that wine by the carafe that you raved about at that cantina in Barcelona, Verona, Lyon…

Not complex or exciting but solidly made from well tended vines.

Have your tried woodbridge? Its actually pretty solid for a low price bulk wine. I wouldn’t say its bad. The exception would be their sparkling wine which is indeed pretty horrible.

Of course its a weird wine to bring to a fine dinning experience. I would have got a chuckle out of that too.

It was a mag.

I am under the impression that there really isn’t that much bad wine these days. Plenty of wine that one might choose a really good beer over. But not a lot of wine that is unpleasant and undrinkable.

I dunno. Occasionally when I look at my credit card statement, I envy people who like crappy wine.

This.

There is no good reason to judge what others are willing to drink. I’m sure he could care less what was on your table.

Actually this.

Does Woodbridge have magnums?! I survived on the stuff in magnums in law school, when it still carried the Mondavi name.

I haven’t had it in decades, but it sounds like it’s worth a retry. It was very decent in its early year-- very decent.

I would retitle this thread to “People Like Average to Decent Wine.” Because really, that’s what we’re talking about here. An average to decent commercially mass produced wine that is drinkable but highly unlikely to draw any raves from someone more knowledgeable about wine.

It is repeated often on the board here ad nauseum, but to repeat: we are elitists, connoisseurs and fantatics who love good to great wine; the average person likes decent to average wine, especially if it’s a good deal. Nothing wrong with that.

Remember, you did choose a BYOB after all. Therefore, nobody should really have any issue as to what wine has been brought. Those that want a wine education should go to restaurants where the somm has done a good job picking wines to match what the restaurant serves. Those who don’t want to be judged go to a BYOB where you can bring as inexpensive or pricey as you like.

+1

Maybe the wine is bad, to you, but delicious to him. Woodbridge isn’t a game changer but it’s competently made, good quality wine. Besides, what’s the definition of “bad” anyways, with regard to wine?

Haven’t you used “bad wine” in your tasting notes?

Anything that is less than 90 points.

^^good posting^^

seriously this.