people like bad wine

Especially on this board.

Why ask the question when you know the answer? Of course I have, for wines I consider bad. Which, for me, is lack of typicity, glaring flaws, lack of balance, brett (sometimes), and a few other things. In a somewhat ironic twist, the Woodbridge line, while cheap and perhaps boring, is at least made without flaws and the wines do register at the bottom end of typicity.

Passion for wine starts somewhere. I remember back in 99 I had a thing for Talus Merlot. Back then I thought it was the juice of the gods (98 Talus). That being said, it was among the wines that got me interested in wine. To each his own.

Woodbridge may not be “bad”, but it is 100% boring and I’d rather drink beer. Industrial beer > Industrial wine any day and twice on Sunday.

I’m sorry, but I reserve the right to pass judgment on other people’s palates.

I’m sure you’re right there!

Y’all may not know Brig, but he’s the least snobby guy of anyone here at WB. It is just a funny story among wine geeks. If I were at Spago or Le Bernardin and someone had brought a magnum of Yellow Tail (which I believe is slightly more expensive than Woodbridge?), I’d think it was a funny story as well.

By the way, Brig, I think if you’re talking about Woodbridge, the correct terminology is en magnum. That shows the wine a little more respect.

To me it seemed that Brig was commenting on the irony of an en magnum Woodbridge at a very expensive restaurant. If finding that humorous makes Brig a snob, then most of us are snobs IMO.

If you are going to an awesome restaurant with some wine for you and your party and something like what you seen at another’s table grabs your attention enough to babble about it, you are doing it all wrong.

I wonder if there is an alternate universe with a Average Wine Forum and this post exists:

As Roberto R. says in his signature.

FIL takes us to dinner for my birthday, my choice of the two nicest restaurants in town. I pick the one with BYOB and no corkage. We brought a really really good bottle of red wine. The restaurant is EXPENSIVE.

Guy at the take next to us has two over-priced/over-aged wines. it was all I could do to not take a picture.

sig—>> Mike Pobega is the kindest, warmest, bravest, most wonderful human being I’ve ever known in my life.

[cheers.gif]

Yep.

Industrial production? Yes. Cringe-worthy-awful? No. It is a quality mass market wine.

I thought this was going to be a post about tasting notes from Mark Boldizsar.

I like this for the anti-snob attitude, but have serious doubts. I’ll have to buy a bottle soon and try it out for myself.

I did not write this, and I don;t know how you concocted that quote. Please fix

Mark has started threads like these:

Mebbee that’s why.

That´s not my definition!
85-89 points is very good to excellent! 80-84 is good.
A really BAD wine has serious noticable flaws and is 70 points or below.
Very few wines today are produced and sold are really bad … much more often it´s a specific flawd bottled that was shipped/stored badly.

Even simple wines sold in supermarkets for 2.99 to 4.99 are often decent in the 75 to 80+ range, especially in France you can buy such wines which are perfect for a good but simple dinner on the terrasse.
I drink quite a few wines in the 85-89p range … even Lafite 1985 falls IMHO in this category ! [swoon.gif]

Gerhard, pretty sure Chuck was saying that tongue in cheek.

That´s what I actually though - however … some will believe it and agree … [bow.gif]
so I made my comment.

+2, BTW, KJ vintner’s reserve Chardonnay is an excellent wine.

Someone once said to me that I should never have tried a wine costing more than $5 (with inflation, probably $10 today). If I only had those wines, I would be perfectly happy and content with them. But once I tried something better, there was no going back, to the detriment of my wallet.

I think this pretty much nails it. It’s definitely one of those “ignorance is bliss” scenarios.

So one has to drink expensive wine in an expensive restaurant?