Ray Walker & Maison Ilan updates - the saga has ended...(updated)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Gobindjit S. Dhaliwal

#1751 Post by Gobindjit S. Dhaliwal » July 31st, 2018, 9:35 am

Thanks for posting this Suzanne.

First I recieved some direct messages from Ray via his Bourbon profile on Instagram. They were deleted three times by him, I'm guessing he impulsively wrote whatever and then thought about it and deleted it. The final message ended up being basically .... "Thanks for spreading gossip....."

I'm guessing he ran into the post above from friend of mine, it had a Ilan bottle he had tried at a restaurant in Spain. I happend to post that the wine had some contreversy behind it, then through a private message sent him Bill Nansons article so he could be informed.

This friend of mine is a big Burgundy drinker, so I guess he knows his stuff. The first thing he told me in our private conversation was that he had doubts about the Ilan wine, his words roughly translated the wine was "over done" and "not really a Chambertin". Sadly, this board has limited scope in Spain and they don't know about Ray, so I was just spreading the truth.
ITB

Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1752 Post by Jay Selman » July 31st, 2018, 10:16 am

scamhi wrote:not one of the outlets that featured Maison Ilan and the Ray Walker story has gone back to follow up on his success or total lack there of.
I did on GrapeRadio

julianseersmartin

#1753 Post by julianseersmartin » July 31st, 2018, 12:02 pm

If you want to keep seeing the hilarity of his posts on instagram, I advise that you don't comment asking if buyers will receive their purchases this time. :D

I was swiftly blocked.

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#1754 Post by Dave McIsaac » July 31st, 2018, 12:15 pm

Jay Selman wrote:
scamhi wrote:not one of the outlets that featured Maison Ilan and the Ray Walker story has gone back to follow up on his success or total lack there of.
I did on GrapeRadio
And the sponsor was WB!!! [snort.gif] champagne.gif
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

David Mc

#1755 Post by David Mc » July 31st, 2018, 4:54 pm

Anyone buying the backstory?

"Ray’s great-great-grand father, Louis Walker, fought in the Civil War for Kentucky’s Company 48 Mounted Infantry, signing up for duty the same day that the battle of Gettysburg began. Louis’ father, James, was in the War of 1812, a battle that saw the U.S. allied with France. As such, James would become a Francophile, giving two of Louis’ brothers French names, Napoleon Bonaparte Walker and Lafayette Walker."
Mc = M c I n t i r e

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1756 Post by Poppy Davis » July 31st, 2018, 5:21 pm

David Mc wrote:Anyone buying the backstory?

"Ray’s great-great-grand father, Louis Walker, fought in the Civil War for Kentucky’s Company 48 Mounted Infantry, signing up for duty the same day that the battle of Gettysburg began. Louis’ father, James, was in the War of 1812, a battle that saw the U.S. allied with France. As such, James would become a Francophile, giving two of Louis’ brothers French names, Napoleon Bonaparte Walker and Lafayette Walker."
If Ray's father is African-American, I have serious doubts. The ancestry records of African-Americans going back that far are sketchy, at best.
Poppy D@vis Frucht m@n, formerly ITB

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1757 Post by Poppy Davis » July 31st, 2018, 5:23 pm

I just came across this little gem of an interview:
https://www.brulteco.com/ray-walker-inn ... interview/

"On your blog you write “Every email is personal and I believe it best to treat it with the respect that they deserve.” Impressive. Have you always had such a great appreciation for customer service and where does it stem from?

I always have. I think it is important to think as a consumer first. If you wouldn’t spend money on it yourself how can you ask someone else to do it? When you have a great exchange, it strengthens the entire relationship and experience. I wanted to provide that to people since I think of them as friends instead of clients. Why not, we drink together, have the same taste in wines usually and they are supportive of my endeavors. On top of all of this, I am trying to be connected with those that have an interest in doing the same with me. This is one of the most basic aspects of society but it is something that gets forgotten all too often."

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1758 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 31st, 2018, 5:34 pm

He's got a helluva good PR firm - not sure how they get paid, but regardless, they get him hooked up with some widely varied 'publications'
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1759 Post by Alan Rath » July 31st, 2018, 6:19 pm

Poppy Davis wrote:

If Ray's father is African-American, I have serious doubts. The ancestry records of African-Americans going back that far are sketchy, at best.
It's the reverse.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1760 Post by Poppy Davis » July 31st, 2018, 6:25 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
Poppy Davis wrote:

It's the reverse.
In that case, it could be true. [dontknow.gif]

Edward H. Earles

#1761 Post by Edward H. Earles » July 31st, 2018, 6:50 pm

I am an active member of an organization concerned with Civil War history, and I've been researching this a bit. I've thus far been unable to substantiate Ray Walker's Claim. I'll look into it further.

I did find a reference to a Louis Walker in the 47th Ohio Mounted Regiment.

Edit: I found a Lewis Walker, 1st Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry, Union. Doesn't sound like the same person.
Last edited by Edward H. Earles on July 31st, 2018, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1762 Post by Craig G » July 31st, 2018, 7:01 pm

Ohio and Kentucky is the same to most of us.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1763 Post by Larry Link » July 31st, 2018, 9:00 pm

From Wikipedia:
Walker is an English and German surname derived from either a fuller, from the Middle High German walker,[2] meaning "a fuller of cloth", or an officer whose duty consisted of walking or inspecting a certain part of a forest. The surname "Walker" was first found in Germany where records of the name date back to the thirteenth century. In 1253, Sigelo dictus Welkere was recorded in Weissenburg,[2] and in 1209, Bruno Welkiner was a citizen of Cologne.[2] The Walker Families of England are believed to originate from Yorkshire[3]. The name is also found within African Kenyan tribes.

R_Gilbane

#1764 Post by R_Gilbane » August 1st, 2018, 6:04 am

'Ol Ray is practicing a bit of misdirection. While you're trying to research his great, great grandpappy, he's slinging bottles of premium, carefully curated, bespoke vintage bourbon that's the love child of the best parts of french and american culture.

I can personally attest to the frustration one experiences when drinking a fine Kentucky bourbon but wishing it was more french in style and flavor profile. Ray's newest creation looks like it's just the ticket for folks who feel the same way.
Bobby

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1765 Post by Brian Tuite » August 1st, 2018, 6:40 am

Craig G wrote:Ohio and Kentucky is the same to most of us.
[rofl.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1766 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 1st, 2018, 2:17 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
[rofl.gif]
Hey now! Whatever did Kentucky do to deserve such disdain?!?
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1767 Post by Nola Palomar » August 1st, 2018, 3:57 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote:
[rofl.gif]
Hey now! Whatever did Kentucky do to deserve such disdain?!?
Careful now!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1768 Post by RichardFlack » August 1st, 2018, 4:19 pm

Edward H. Earles wrote:On his whiskey web site, he says that his "2016 vintage" is scheduled for release in December, 2018. (Who assigns vintages to Bourbon? Maybe that's the "French Refinement" he is claiming.)

The only possibility I can see here, if he actually does have whiskey, is that he showed up at Hartfield in 2016 as a customer, and bought one or two of those 6-gallon barrels, and has been aging them at his place since then; and that he intends to bottle the Hartfield whiskey in his own bottles, and re-sell them at a no-doubt-fantastic markup from the Hartfield price.

This is, of course, assuming that he has any whiskey at all.

The label shown on his web site says, "Bottled by L'Americaine Spirits Company, Paris, KY". I can't find any mention of that company outside of Ray's web promotions.

I don't know much about the Federal legal requirements for being in the whiskey business, but I do know that Federal law forbids licensing to anyone with a felony conviction. What happened with Ray's domestic violence charge? Did that result in a felony conviction? Here's a pull quote from an article I found, on starting up a craft distillery:

"On the federal level, according to Inc.com, officials want reassurance that facilities will be secured from fire and theft. A clean background free of felonies is also required. Questions may be asked of your spouse, investors and financiers. Some of the questions can get personal so be sure before entering into the process, you have had conversations with all business partners so you won't run into any surprises."

Can we imagine that Ray has successfully passed through this process?
I'm confused. What does 2016 mean? Bottling date? So how long was it aged? Or does that not matter?
[Not a Bourbon drinker. Mostly]

Edward H. Earles

#1769 Post by Edward H. Earles » August 1st, 2018, 5:23 pm

I assumed it meant date of distillation.

Jack Linden

#1770 Post by Jack Linden » August 7th, 2018, 12:23 am

Serious question: Should those of us who are aware of Walker's history and behaviour use our social media platforms to alert others? At the very least to do some due diligence before sending him any money? Or just accept caveat emptor?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1771 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 7th, 2018, 8:35 am

Jack Linden wrote:Serious question: Should those of us who are aware of Walker's history and behaviour use our social media platforms to alert others? At the very least to do some due diligence before sending him any money? Or just accept caveat emptor?
I assume it would do very little. He's great at finding new audiences, with little overlap. Also, he doesn't need to sell anywhere near as many bottles of this 'Bourbon' versus the wines, plus there's likely a massive profit margin. He'll find new victims.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1772 Post by Jay Miller » August 7th, 2018, 8:39 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Jack Linden wrote:Serious question: Should those of us who are aware of Walker's history and behaviour use our social media platforms to alert others? At the very least to do some due diligence before sending him any money? Or just accept caveat emptor?
I assume it would do very little. He's great at finding new audiences, with little overlap. Also, he doesn't need to sell anywhere near as many bottles of this 'Bourbon' versus the wines, plus there's likely a massive profit margin. He'll find new victims.
Just look at Mast chocolate. They bought chocolate, repackaged it under their label with a great story about their artisanal practices and sold a bunch at a huge profit.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1773 Post by Scott Brunson » August 7th, 2018, 8:45 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Yes
Yet another example of the “Bigger Idiot Theory.”
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#1774 Post by Nola Palomar » August 7th, 2018, 12:15 pm

He’s got a whole bunch of rural local facebook’rs. They know how to share something good!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP

Jack Linden

#1775 Post by Jack Linden » August 7th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
I gave in and posted a "be careful" warning on the Vimeo promo, with a link to Bill Nanson's article. We'll see how long it stays up.

T Klonoski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1776 Post by T Klonoski » August 7th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
And if he leaves crates of bourbon out in the sun, they will fare much better than his Burgundy did.
T0m

Edward H. Earles

#1777 Post by Edward H. Earles » August 7th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Jack Linden wrote:
I gave in and posted a "be careful" warning on the Vimeo promo, with a link to Bill Nanson's article. We'll see how long it stays up.
8:10 EDT 8-7-2018 update on the Vimeo page:

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Reasons you might be seeing this page

It exists, but you don’t have permission to see it, or you need to log in.
Nothing has ever existed here. Spooky.
Something once lived here, but has been deleted.

Edward H. Earles

#1778 Post by Edward H. Earles » August 7th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Update on the Instagram account, 8:14PM EDT 8-7-2018:

Sorry, this page isn't available.

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Go back to Instagram.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1779 Post by Siun o'Connell » August 7th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Interesting. - the video is still viewable - along with Jack Linden's comment - on the Insatiable Vimeo page but not on other search terms. Insta for L'Americaine is still there.

So Ed, how did you get blocked? ;->

Edward H. Earles

#1780 Post by Edward H. Earles » August 7th, 2018, 6:05 pm

I don't know. I was able to access them the last time I looked, which was what....10 days, 2 weeks ago?

Edit: I have "Block dangerous and deceptive content" checked on my Firefox Preferences Privacy page. Reckon that did it? [cheers.gif]

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Ray Walker & Maison Ilan updates - the saga has ended...(updated)

#1781 Post by Siun o'Connell » August 14th, 2018, 11:23 am

Latest from Ray on Facebook ... you cannot make this up:
Ray Walker
25 mins ·
Had to share this. Got a small featured background role in a movie about prison. Nothing special. On the phone with the casting lady and I asked why they chose me as featured. “Well your look, for sure”. At first I took it as a compliment, but now I’m thinking wait a sec....Hahahaha

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1782 Post by Dennis Borczon » August 14th, 2018, 11:38 am

The longer this story goes on, the more and more I am convinced Ray is an absolute genius. An insane genius.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1783 Post by Wes Barton » August 14th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Siun o'Connell wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 11:23 am
Ray Walker
25 mins ·
Had to share this. Got a small featured background role in a movie about prison. Nothing special. On the phone with the casting lady and I asked why they chose me as featured. “Well your look, for sure”. At first I took it as a compliment, but now I’m thinking wait a sec....Hahahaha
Is that him spinning having to spend a few days in jail?
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1784 Post by Jim Anderson » August 14th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 12:07 pm
Siun o'Connell wrote:
Ray Walker
25 mins ·
Is that him spinning having to spend a few days in jail?
He's remaking Lawrence of Arabia. He's directing it, starring in it (both the O'Toole and Sharif roles, because, why not?) and introducing into theaters around the world.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1785 Post by dsGriswold » August 14th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Last edited by dsGriswold on August 16th, 2018, 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
DennisG

Gobindjit S. Dhaliwal

#1786 Post by Gobindjit S. Dhaliwal » August 14th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Edward H. Earles wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 5:26 pm
Update on the Instagram account, 8:14PM EDT 8-7-2018:

Sorry, this page isn't available.

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Go back to Instagram.
I think he shut that one down, or probably just renamed it to this...

ITB

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1787 Post by ClarkstonMark » August 14th, 2018, 3:42 pm

dsGriswold wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 1:01 pm
Now that Amorosa has left the White House, Ray would fit right in. [snort.gif]
the emoji doesn't make your post funny, just saying
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1788 Post by Andrew Christiansen » August 16th, 2018, 12:22 am

Siun o'Connell wrote:
Ray Walker
25 mins ·
The "acting lady" might have been his attorney trying to prepare him for his ultimate destination behind bars, which Ray immediately spun into an imaginary movie role, although "nothing special," was offered based on his self-described good looks.

Only in Ray's mind could one role be small, featured and background at the same time.

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1789 Post by CWun » September 2nd, 2018, 12:10 am

"
Ray Walker
‏ @maisonILAN
Aug 28

Looking for a journalist interested in getting the inside scoop on my winery. The interest is out there from people wanting to know the story. Who wants the scoop?
"
C@r_y

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1790 Post by J a y H a c k » September 2nd, 2018, 4:14 am

CWun wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 12:10 am
"
Ray Walker
‏ @maisonILAN
Aug 28

Looking for a journalist interested in getting the inside scoop on my winery. The interest is out there from people wanting to know the story. Who wants the scoop?
"
This just screams out for a reporter from Fox (Faux) news. Where have a read this kind of tweet before?

I apologize if this is deemed too political. The mods can delete it if they want.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1791 Post by Bud Carey » September 2nd, 2018, 4:23 am

Don't you mean CNN? [flirtysmile.gif] [flirtysmile.gif]
Budman

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1792 Post by Dennis Borczon » September 2nd, 2018, 4:31 am

I desperately want someone to go and talk to him. Please, even if you are a fake journalist. Narcissism knows no limits.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1793 Post by CJ Beazley » September 2nd, 2018, 5:51 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 4:14 am
CWun wrote:
"
Ray Walker
‏ @maisonILAN
Aug 28

"
This just screams out for a reporter from Fox (Faux) news. Where have a read this kind of tweet before?

I apologize if this is deemed too political. The mods can delete it if they want.
I was thinking a producer from American Greed might be interested. The perfect cheesy format for him.
It's C(raig)

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1794 Post by Wes Barton » September 2nd, 2018, 11:26 am

ITB - Useless lackey

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1795 Post by Mark C » September 2nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 4:14 am
CWun wrote:
"
Ray Walker
‏ @maisonILAN
Aug 28

"

Sasha Baron Cohen should take Ray on as a documentary project.
෴ ෴
(☉ ☉)
\_⏝_/

Mark Cћамρηeγ

Wine Berserkers, “delight of the incapable and insignificant"!

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

“Mark; I’ll surrender the argument.” Gordon Fitz

aka Frabjous/CT

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1796 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 2nd, 2018, 12:31 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 11:26 am
https://goo.gl/images/PEHned
No idea what this is and am not clicking on a blind link. Care to indicate what this is?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1797 Post by Wes Barton » September 3rd, 2018, 12:23 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 12:31 pm
Wes Barton wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 11:26 am
https://goo.gl/images/PEHned
No idea what this is and am not clicking on a blind link. Care to indicate what this is?
It's a scoop.

(That's a Google image.)
ITB - Useless lackey

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1798 Post by Siun o'Connell » September 8th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Ray has just posted two blog posts at https://www.raywalkerwine.com/new-blog/. One is titled "The Maison Ilan Smear Campaign" the other is "The Black Card - Racism in the World of Wine"

off to read now

I am sure it will be enlightening.

Ian Sutton

#1799 Post by Ian Sutton » September 8th, 2018, 2:34 pm

I'm sure it won't!

Forumites didn't care about the colour of his skin when buying the wines (and the dream), just as they didn't care about it when he failed to deliver the wines they'd paid for.
Normal for Norfolk

Marcus Dean

#1800 Post by Marcus Dean » September 8th, 2018, 2:37 pm

LOL, Blah blah blah Todd is a racist, Blah blah blah Wine Berserkers destroyed my business, blah blah blah its not my fault at all, blah blah blah you all hate me because I am black

Return to “Wine Talk”