Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

Has anyone been popping any BerserkerDay wines? With the holiday approaching, I’ve been trying to make an effort to open some wines produced by past, and hopefully future, BerserkerDay participants. The posting of any other recent notes would be very much appreciated.

The palate displays tart red fruit flavors that with abundant spice and some forest floor with a dash of baking soda and lemon rind present on the finish. There’s a great balance between the fruit and savory elements and good acidic lift to keep things fresh. Good concentration and sneaky tannins that suggest aging potential.

At 12.7%abv, I could drink this all day long. 98 cases produced. (92 pts.)

• 2012 Longplay Pinot Noir Experience Lia’s Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (1/4/2017)
    Ripe raspberry fruit wrapped around a core of black licorice with some baking powder. There’s a faint tart note on the slightly clipped finish. Good acidity, should easily last through the end of the decade.

14.1%abv. 312 (hey that’s my area code!) cases produced.

• 2015 Briceland Vineyards Viognier Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (1/2/2017)
    Pours a very pale yellow with the scent of white flowers leaping from the glass. The palate reveals white flowers overlayed on yellow fruits with an undercurrent of minerals. There’s a good dose of acidity going on which keeps the wine feeling very fresh and light. This is flowers and acid, acid and flowers – a really nice change of pace.

Made from organic grapes, 13.8% abv, 22 cases made(!) – I believe that some of the grapes go into the Ishi Pishi Ranch Syrah. (90 pts.)

• 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (1/1/2017)
    The nose and palate are dominated by an abundance of spice and red fruits with some forest floor notes hidden in the background. Very good acidity; the tannins are perceptible, but mild. Drinks younger than it’s age. Nonetheless this is squarely in its drinking window; should drink well through 2030.
  • 2014 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (12/30/2016)
    Vibrant color of magenta with a nose of iodine, smoked meat enveloping purple berries.

Red and purple fruits fruits with iodine, smoked meat, black pepper, violets and a hint of dill. Medium+ bodied with good concentration and acidity. Slightly gritty tannins with a long finish. Good complexity and distinctive, drinks young. I followed over 3 days. On day two the wine smoothed out and had a more appealing texture and the faint dill note was gone. On day three the smoked meat note disappeared; thankfully the beguiling iodine note remained.

I drank this side by side with the Dark Horse Ranch and preferred this wine by a hair. Whil drinkable now, I believe this wine should drink well for a decade or more. This is Briceland’s first Syrah from Humboldt County and is cofermented with 4% Viognier. Made from organic grapes. (91 pts.)

• 2014 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Dark Horse Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (12/30/2016)
    Garnet/purple color with a nose of sweet red and purple fruit, like confectioner’s sugar had been poured over ripe berries, with some leather and forest floor in the background.

Smooth with less tannic structure than the Ishi Pishi Syrah of the same year and perhaps a touch more acid. Juicy red and purple fruits, forest floor and a squeeze of lemon on the finish, which provides a nice bit of brightness. The sweetness of the nose does not translate to the palate, there’s a nice savoriness here. Finishes medium. More immediately approachable than the 2014 Ishi Pish Ranch.

13.1% abv, 123 cases made. (90 pts.)

• 2010 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Nash Mill Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/20/2016)
    The nose is dominated by spice while the plate is equal parts bing cherry and spice with a forest floor component that comes to the fore on the finish. The fruit is just a bit sour and the acid is plentiful. The flavors are unmistakably Anderson Valley.

There’s a good deal of sediment considering the age of the wine; pour carefully. 14.1% abv. (90 pts.)

• 2012 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/17/2016)
    Red fruits, spice and white flowers on the nose. On the palate, red fruits and spice abounds. There’s also streak of minerality and a faint licorice component. High acid with mild tannins; there’s enough structure and stuffing that it should drink well 10-12 years from vintage. Tasty now but should improve with short term aging. (89 pts.)
  • 2012 Matello Fool’s Journey Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (12/16/2016)
    Red fruits and flowers on the nose. Flavors of spicy red fruit enveloping a black fruit core with a mineral spine. There’s a good dose of acidity that keeps thing feeling fresh. At once concentrated and elegant; delicious now, but built to age. Low alcohol to boot (12.8% abv). Love this.

Like all Matello/Goodfellow wines, extended aeration is recommended. (91 pts.)

The palate is similarly dominated by floral notes, which are overlaid on a canvas of tropical fruits; guava, lychee, peach and mineral notes are distinctly noted on the long finish. Very nice acidity makes this a great food wine, but it was also delicious on its own. An elegant take on the grape. 13.3%abv and completely dry and completely delicious.

Note: a small amount remained in the bottle and was corked and refrigerated for 8 days; the wine still in very good shape. (90 pts.)

Flavors of tart/sappy red fruits (strawberry, cherry) with cinnamon/cardamom and a pronounced green note; think forrest floor. Plenty of juicy acidity and the tannins, while noticeable, are in the background. In a good spot; should drink well for another 5 years or more.

Posted from CellarTracker

A bit OT: I tend to prefer lower alcohol wines. Lack of a score doesn’t mean anything other than that I didn’t feel like scoring.

2 Likes

It seems to be about half of the wine I drink. Vincent, Biggio Hamina, Briceland, in droves!

A bit OT: I tend to prefer lower alcohol wines. Agree with this!!

Funny you say that Charlie, it reminds me that I want to pull a Vincent – it’s been far too long since my last. I guess our tastes overlap!

I have six of those wines in my cellar, all of them ones you noted as having a long future ahead. That’s why I haven’t opened them yet, but I’m always pleased to see tasting notes telling me how the wines are developing.

P Hickner

I had the 2013 Loring Rosella’s Pinot Noir last weekend. No notes or anything but I thought it was fantastic. On the richer, riper side of the spectrum but never coming off as candied or sweet and even borderline refreshing. I really thought it was standout California Pinot and will way be in on anything they offer.

We did Franny Beck PN and 05 Arcadian Purisma Syrah at dinner for out of town guests on Sunday.
Both were quite good. If you like Vincent you might want to give the FB a try.

I need to try Franny Beck! Thanks for the reminder.

I really enjoyed my purchases from Cowan and Harrington last year. Definitely looking to do some fresh damage on this year’s BerserkerDay. Can’t wait!

Will also jump in with some love to the LWC Rosella’s and Franny Beck. Really enjoyed both as very different expressions of the PN spectrum.

For sure getting my hands on a case+ of Vincent’s wines. Ordered my first 6 mixed (chard, Pinot, fanatic) a couple of months ago and we really enjoyed them (so much so that we ran through them already!). My fiancée gave me the full go ahead to pick up more :slight_smile:

I drink most of the OR BD wines and buy locally. Not necessarily on BD, but regular buys, Longplay is a BD intro, Random Wine was delivered to a CT/B offline a few days back so will be giving them a try.

We are on our last bottle of Ladd Cellars, we have 2 bottles left of Briceland and we’re completely out of Longplay.

I’m prepared to do some damage this year. I’ve been squirreling away money dedicated for this event.

I wrote down the two places Vincent suggested, I’m not familiar with either of them and that’s what was so cool about this day.

Briceland was a real shocker for me. Very hands off winemaking yet Andrew’s bottlings are still a great expression of the grape and the sites. I am fortunate enough to be able to go bug Vincent and Todd locally but I still plan on grabbing from both of them again because we love their wines too.

Ladd cellars was a great expression of California, well made, moderate alcohol and great balance. Really looking forward to discovering new winemakers!

Drank a bottle of 13 Vincent Armstrong a few days back, with the handwritten label. No formal notes but as always a really nice bottle and stellar QPR.

And to make room for upcoming BD, last Sunday we cooked a 16oz Berserker 60 day ribeye. It was a day of snow and ice outside so the steak was perfect. Paired it with a 2010 Rasa QED. Stellar! Can’t wait to order some more.

Thanks Corey, Charlie and Brandon for the mentions, reviews and comments. I look forward to a big Berserker Day. champagne.gif

1 Like

My two favorites that were new to me from last year were:

1. Florida Jim’s Cowan Cellars whites, especially the Isa. Having known him electronically back to the eGullet days, I feel really guilty having waited this long to taste his wines
  2. Larry’s Tercero reds. Stunningly good stuff.

Looking for some Rose’s for the summer. Any suggestions based on past years?

for me, virage rose- hit every time (voted with the wallet, and I believe we opened about 2 cases over the years
(CT is my friend, actually abit more).

I was thinking that this would be more about recent tasting notes (oh well) but another plug for Cowan Cellars. I haven’t tasted any recently because the 6-pack I ordered was demolished in record time. I daresay, Jim makes incredibly gulpable wines (and I mean that in the nicest way possible).

Thx-hopefully they will have an offer this year that works for me.

Here’s a bunch from the last few months

• 2011 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Nash Mill Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/6/2017)
    Quite the different experience from Loren, whom I respect and assume had a tainted bottle. This was a great wine. Ruby colored and quite clear, no cloudiness. Dried moss, and ripe cherry nose with some light spice. Palate was a real pleasure with tart cherry, cedar wood chips and strawberry preserve. Medium plus acidity and soft tannins have a gentle mouthfeel. Great balance of oak, just enough poking through. Very long finish. This opened up with air over the course of an hour.
  • 2010 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Moore Ranch Vineyard Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/30/2016)
    Didnt get around to tasting this until it had been opened for 24 hours already. Smokey ripe cherry thing going on, really good, with a tart berry backbone. Some toasted oak showing at the finish. Still broad shoulders on this wine, good structure. Paired with a nice chicken parmasan lasagna.
  • 2011 Sojourn Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/27/2016)
    Last of my 2011 from Sojourn, a real strong vintage from them. I enjoyed the Gap, Ridgetop, and the Sangicomo.

Still fairly dark garnet, no signs of bricking. Nose is ripe red fruit and baking spice. It’s a flavorful wine, ripe strawberries and cherry with whittled sandalwood. Probably one of the riper wines from this vintage. Tiny tannins are still prevalent leading me to believe there’s no rush to drink. This was fun.

• 2008 Tercero Syrah Thompson Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (12/26/2016)
    Dark blackberry and lots of chalky foundation. So good and so much ahead.
  • 2008 Tercero Cuvée Loco Larner Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (12/25/2016)
    My goodness, this hasn’t budged in 4 1/2 years. It’s as fresh and lively as the day it was bottled. I think it’s the grenache that provides the stuffing here. This will last another 20 years, no problem. Dark fruit, blackberry, garrigue, light campfire. Really nice.
  • 2014 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Peterson Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (12/9/2016)
    This was a Wineberserker Day purchase, I think, can’t pass up Sandler wines regardless. Pop n pour. Deep cranberry color with excellent clarity, a real sparkler in the glass. Nose shows strawberry and pepper. Juicy palate of cherry and dried cranberry with more of the spicy note building towards the finish. Has a real “delicious” factor. Fine granular tannins and medium acidity. Two thumbs up.
  • 2013 Sandler Wine Company Grenache Boer Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (11/6/2016)
    Opened this with Thai food so I’m writing the tasting note from the glass remaining the following day. Garnet colored with a very light brown hue. Excellent clarity, a real sparkler in the glass. Chambord nose and light toasted wood. High acid, immediately notice that which bodes well for the aging prospects. Very spicy, white pepper, cherry and red plum fruit. Fine bumpy tannins. Medium plus finish. My only bottle otherwise I would definitely slip one into the back of the cellar for another 10 years because this could pass for a very good southern rhone with some age.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Campesino.

Brilliant idea for a thread, Corey!! Cheers! :slight_smile: