This Cab made me forget the others

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Chris Atkins

#1 Post by Chris Atkins » September 15th, 2017, 1:23 pm

The other day I visited three rather prominent Napa Valley wineries for a little Cabernet extravaganza. One house, dating back to the 19th century, has maintained a consistent record of long lived Cabs for nearly four decades. Another Estate has vaulted themselves into the upper eschelon within the last decade, particularly from stellar critic reviews, along with skyward prices to match. While all the wines tasted at the aforementioned Estates were solid if not nearly excellent, it was the Corison Cabernet that made me pretty much forget about the others.

The 2014 Corison Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is absolute sophistication. It begins with a stunning bouquet of florals, mostly violets and jasmine, along with deep red fruit and savory earthy elements. The tannins are pure velvet leading to a clean finish of lingering cherry and crushed wild berries. I cannot overemphasize the amazing texture and finish.

In relation to the 2013, I found the 2014 to be more feminine, whereas the 2013 reveals more brawn and grip. Both are classic!

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 15th, 2017, 2:29 pm

These wines don't get enough praise on this board, although I know there are many fans. If you haven't before, try one with a little age on it. The 2004s and 2005s were outstanding - never had a bad wine from them. Thanks for the reminder to stock up!

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#3 Post by Joe Chanley » September 15th, 2017, 2:40 pm

Had an 05 last week that was in a perfect spot. Really a treat to drink.

Eric S n y d e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Eric S n y d e r » September 15th, 2017, 2:42 pm

I don't know why I don't buy more Corison.

I've enjoyed vintages as far back as 1987, and I've loved every single one. A standout for balance and class!

Joe W i n o g r a d

#5 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » September 15th, 2017, 3:14 pm

98 Kronos was crazy fresh a few weeks ago

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Chris Seiber » September 15th, 2017, 3:19 pm

The subject line sounds like one of those click bait links at the bottom of some article you read online.

:)

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by ky1em!ttskus » September 15th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Had an 07 Kronos a few months ago and it was sick! I know it's young but Scott W. opened it. How could I say no?

Cathy is also really lovely, which makes drinking her wines even easier.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Rich Brown » September 15th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Agreed, really good cabs. Had an 06 Napa a couple months ago that was great but had plenty of time left

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 15th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Never had one. I assume these are Cali Cabs for AFWE sensibilities? Would love to try one. A retailer I work with has 2010, 2013 and 2014. Recos?

Great OP note!
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 15th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Robert-it's too soon for all of them, but maybe try a 2010. They are classic cabs versus Napa spoof, but they need time.

I am looking forward to placing my order for the 2014. Wish I had come to these wines sooner.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Scott Watkins » September 15th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Please stop talking about this wine and No Rhone and we will all be better off [wink.gif]
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Alicia C.

#12 Post by Alicia C. » September 15th, 2017, 5:59 pm

I totally agree with Scott -- but since the cat's already out of the bag with this thread, here's my contribution! [stirthepothal.gif]

Everything Cathy touches is absolutely beautiful -- and for years to come! So excited to hear the 2014s are continuing that tradition (although I would expect nothing less). I found the 2013 super delicate when I tried it at the winery in December, so now I'm intrigued by the '14s. Although knowing how these wines age, opening a bottle early is difficult to do!

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
last name starts with a CY and ends with PRESS
I'm @itswinebyme on Twitter and Tumblr

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 15th, 2017, 6:15 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:Robert-it's too soon for all of them, but maybe try a 2010. They are classic cabs versus Napa spoof, but they need time.

I am looking forward to placing my order for the 2014. Wish I had come to these wines sooner.
The 2010 is the basic Cab and the 2012 and 2013 is the Kronos. Not sure I want to drop $175 on a wine I've never tried but would be willing to do the $80 for the cab. Is there a significant difference?

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 15th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I don't know, as I have not yet been willing to drop the coin on Kronos. All I can say is that I love the basic Cab.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by ky1em!ttskus » September 15th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:Robert-it's too soon for all of them, but maybe try a 2010. They are classic cabs versus Napa spoof, but they need time.

The 2010 is the basic Cab and the 2012 and 2013 is the Kronos. Not sure I want to drop $175 on a wine I've never tried but would be willing to do the $80 for the cab. Is there a significant difference?
Kronos is Cathy's estate. Start with the Napa. It's beautiful. And yeah, the '10 is young, but it should be right up your alley.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Rich Brown » September 15th, 2017, 6:26 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:I don't know, as I have not yet been willing to drop the coin on Kronos. All I can say is that I love the basic Cab.
Same. I'm pretty selective when spending that kind of cash on a bottle, but I'd love to hear others opinions who've tried both.

Jonathan G

#17 Post by Jonathan G » September 15th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Can't speak across the vintages, but tasting the 2013 at the winery, at least, the Kronos did not merit the price increase for me. A bit more tannin, a touch bit more concentrated perhaps; but the Napa Valley bottling was already so good I didn't see a reason to spend the extra 60 per bottle.
G@

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by MICHAEL C R O M W E L L » September 15th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Love me some Corison. In many ways reminds me of and plays in the same ballpark as Chateau Montelena and Forman...needs 10 years to even begin strutting its stuff, but plays ball with any and all in Napa cabs with the right age. Not something meant to be drunk under 8, and even really 10-12 years out. Glad to see this getting some press. And, couldn't have nicer people running the show!
M i c h a e l C r o m w e l l
CT: Geaux Tigers

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Scott Watkins » September 15th, 2017, 9:31 pm

I tried to stop this thread but since you insist, the Kronos can and will rock your world with at least 10 years on it! Imho
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Nolan E

#20 Post by Nolan E » September 15th, 2017, 10:13 pm

I've tasted a very large portion of Corison Cabernets and the 2010 Napa Cab is probably in my top 5.

A bit of a green/herbal streak that sends shivers up my spine, I think you'd dig it.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Alicia C.

#21 Post by Alicia C. » September 16th, 2017, 9:03 am

As long as we're talking vintages, if you can get your hands on the 2011 Kronos, do it! The rainy/cool year made a wine that tastes like it had at least a decade of age on it already. A brooding palate with dusty lavender and some slight herbal mint. It was gorgeous and fascinating

Nolan E

#22 Post by Nolan E » September 16th, 2017, 9:21 am

Alicia C. wrote:As long as we're talking vintages, if you can get your hands on the 2011 Kronos, do it! The rainy/cool year made a wine that tastes like it had at least a decade of age on it already. A brooding palate with dusty lavender and some slight herbal mint. It was gorgeous and fascinating
The 11 Kronos is probably my top Corison wine.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Jonathan G

#23 Post by Jonathan G » September 16th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Alicia and Nolan, in '11, what set the Kronos apart from the Napa Valley bottling in your opinion?
G@

Alicia C.

#24 Post by Alicia C. » September 16th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Jonathan G wrote:Alicia and Nolan, in '11, what set the Kronos apart from the Napa Valley bottling in your opinion?
That's a good question and I'm eager to hear what Nolan has to say. I tasted the 2011 Napa Valley in early 2016 and don't seem to recall it being drastically different from the other vintages -- although logically, it must have faced similar growing conditions Kronos did -- there's also a very real possibility that when I got there I had massive palate fatigue since we were tasting 20ish out of 25ish vintages or so). Of the recent vintages, 2013 and 2010 were my standouts, but it was mostly the early 90s, we as a group were really enjoying.

We tasted the '11 Kronos as part of a 16-vintage tasting -- served blind in flights of 4 (there was more spitting this year, too -- we learned our lesson from the year beflore! ha!). So i wonder if the extra year in the bottle actually made more of the nuances of the vintage stand out.

Now I need to seek out a side by side tasting (generally, when I've tasted a few of the other vintages side by side, Kronos tends to be a bit tighter and more structured than Napa Valley ... although, personally, I adore the Napa Valley bottles and usually seek those out more than Kronos, when not part of a formal tasting like we did).

Nolan E

#25 Post by Nolan E » September 16th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Alicia, were you there for the CdB tasting?
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Nolan E

#26 Post by Nolan E » September 16th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Jonathan G wrote:Alicia and Nolan, in '11, what set the Kronos apart from the Napa Valley bottling in your opinion?
I don't prefer Kronos every year, but the 11 just offers more precision and elegance in Kronos than the Napa. I also love the 11 Napa but it's a little wilder and more playful where the Kronos is a bit more sophisticated.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Alicia C.

#27 Post by Alicia C. » September 16th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Nolan E wrote:Alicia, were you there for the CdB tasting?
No... there's about a dozen of us (maybe a few less -- and some are Berserkers or lurkers) here in DC that are just big fans, so we pulled our resources and spent time seeking out missing vintages and planned two tastings over two years. We did Napa first, and then followed up with Kronos.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 16th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Nolan E wrote:

I've tasted a very large portion of Corison Cabernets and the 2010 Napa Cab is probably in my top 5.

A bit of a green/herbal streak that sends shivers up my spine, I think you'd dig it.
Done, I'm in! You hit my note in one short sentence. I dont ask for much, flirtysmile

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Jason T » September 17th, 2017, 1:26 am

Alicia C. wrote:As long as we're talking vintages, if you can get your hands on the 2011 Kronos, do it! The rainy/cool year made a wine that tastes like it had at least a decade of age on it already. A brooding palate with dusty lavender and some slight herbal mint. It was gorgeous and fascinating
A bit of a highjack but same for Jean Edwards 74-41's in 2011. Good luck finding them though as I picked up 3 cases. They may still have some left.
J@son Tr@ughber

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Diane Kessler » September 17th, 2017, 5:54 am

I started out with the 1997 vintage, and it probably needed close to 10 years to show well. I drank the first couple too soon, and the last one sold me on Corison. I started buying the Kronos a couple of years later but stopped with the 2005 vintage. I continue to buy the regular and drank a 2006 last month and it was excellent - wish I had more. Tonight, I am planning to open a 2004 Kronos from my dwindling stock of Kronos.

NoahR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by NoahR » September 17th, 2017, 6:12 am

Bobby- I was with Alicia at our tasting of Corison but missed the Kronos. These are right up your alley but I would go out of your way to find a few mid-90's bottles, as they can be had for almost the same price as current vintages.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Mike Walsh
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Mike Walsh » September 18th, 2017, 7:45 am

I would never be accused of falling into the AFWE crowd but really enjoy both the Napa and Kronos wines. Haven't had the privilege of tasting any older vintages but have loved all of the recent vintages I've tried. I think the Corison Napa is one of the best QPRs in the valley. There's a sophistication to all of Corison's cabernets that keeps you finding something interesting in each sip (and keeps you coming back for more!). I would put the Corison and Rudius at the top of my list of "intellectual" napa cabs that I'll pull when I really want to sit and swirl and think on all while enjoying delicious cabs.

Return to “Wine Talk”