Grassl Glassware

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Grassl Glassware

#1 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 23rd, 2020, 8:15 pm

With BD looming I wanted to post a note about one of the great changes we made at the winery last year.

I switched to Grassl glasses after a few comparative tastings. We use the Liberte and Cru glasses for appointments, mostly using the Liberte for whites and Cru for reds. I absolutely love the Liberte for our white wines, and the Chardonnays in particular. It brings depth to the aromatics, not fruit but depth, and does so without relinquishing any of the tension and energy.

Last week I was tasting with an account in Portland using a nice glass and a standard for Pinot Noir, and it just hit me how much less expressive the wines seemed. I had tasted them from Grassl when I opened the bottles, and they had jumped out of the glass on inspection.

This is an unsolicited post, and while Chris is a Berserker, I’m posting because I really, really enjoy our wines out of his glasses. One of the best steps forward we made last year.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Grassl Glassware

#2 Post by JonathanG » January 23rd, 2020, 8:47 pm

I'm definitely getting some Grassl. Chris sent me a sampler pack, which is en-route. I already know I'm going to love this stuff. Thanks for the post.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#3 Post by Chris Freemott » January 23rd, 2020, 8:51 pm

Wow.
Humbling.

Thank you Marcus.

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by B. Buzzini » January 23rd, 2020, 8:57 pm

Went from all Zalto to now all Grassl! Love them! Both show a heightened pleasure...but I think the key to the Grassl is the larger base...has a more balance weight to it. And the breakage guarantee is reassuring.
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » January 23rd, 2020, 9:08 pm

I'll probably break one this weekend... But, I haven't broken one in the year I've had them. We usually lose a couple of glasses a year.

Ryan A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Ryan A » January 23rd, 2020, 10:33 pm

I also switched to all Grassl. Absolutely love the Liberte for champagne to the point I won’t drink them out of flutes. 1855 hits the needs for Bordeaux and Napa. Great glassware and service.
Ryan A n s e l l

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Kirk.Grant » January 24th, 2020, 2:50 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 8:57 pm
Went from all Zalto to now all Grassl! Love them! Both show a heightened pleasure...but I think the key to the Grassl is the larger base...has a more balance weight to it. And the breakage guarantee is reassuring.
What is that? Does Grassl replace anything broken if you buy them?
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#8 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » January 24th, 2020, 4:34 am

The Grassl Liberte is now my go-to glass. I love the design, and the shorter stem makes them fit very well in the top rack of my dishwasher. I have been waiting for BD to order some more!

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9 Post by Chris Freemott » January 24th, 2020, 4:48 am

Kirk,
I launched the brand on WB. As a courtesy and thank you for the support as well as to help get people to try something new, WB members are extended a $10 replacement option if you break the glass. This doesn’t extend to normal retail.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 24th, 2020, 5:05 am

I’ve been using the Grassl tasting glasses for sparkling/whites and cru for burg. May try 1855 at some point esp if there’s a bd deal but using zalto bdx for now.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 24th, 2020, 5:05 am

Chris how different is the liberte from the tasting glass?

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » January 24th, 2020, 5:59 am

I'm interested in checking out what kind of BD deal on Grassl glassware will be available. I typically use GGG for my reds and whites, with the exception of German riesling, for which I exclusively use Zalto Universal. It's safe to say riesling is the majority grape varietal in my collection at this point. As someone who drinks a lot of German riesling, I'm curious how they compare to Zaltos.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » January 24th, 2020, 6:01 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 5:59 am
I'm interested in checking out what kind of BD deal on Grassl glassware will be available. I typically use GGG for my reds and whites, with the exception of German riesling, for which I exclusively use Zalto Universal. It's safe to say riesling is the majority grape varietal in my collection at this point. As someone who drinks a lot of German riesling, I'm curious how they compare to Zaltos.
Brian,

I have taken to using the Grassl Mineralité for German Riesling. It’s pretty much perfect.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » January 24th, 2020, 6:05 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 6:01 am
Brian,

I have taken to using the Grassl Mineralité for German Riesling. It’s pretty much perfect.
If it has David's seal of approval, guess I'll need to test drive :) Any noticeable differences between how the wines show vs. in Zalto Universal?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Jeff P

#15 Post by Jeff P » January 24th, 2020, 6:21 am

Big fan of my Grassl glasses and decanter. I broke one early on and Chris hooked it up. Friends love the weight and simplicity. High quality stuff
Jeff P@ren+

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Brian Tuite » January 24th, 2020, 6:27 am

Looking forward to a Berserker Day offer!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Jeff_M. » January 24th, 2020, 6:33 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 6:27 am
Looking forward to a Berserker Day offer!
What he said!!! [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif]
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » January 24th, 2020, 6:35 am

January 24th, 2020, 6:05 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
Brian,

If it has David's seal of approval, guess I'll need to test drive :) Any noticeable differences between how the wines show vs. in Zalto Universal?
The Mineralité is better for focusing the aromas. That's why I use it.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 24th, 2020, 7:02 am

So we use and love the Zalto Champagne glass for bubbles; which Grassl glass is comparable? Or is this just not a wine for which Grassls are appropriate/
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Patrick T a y l o r

#20 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » January 24th, 2020, 7:03 am

I was going to start a thread about this, but I'm a mostly rando lurker. So, +1 to Marcus for the credibility factor.

Anyhoo, last night some friends and I tasted through the Grassl lineup. I can attest that they are astonishingly excellent!

For those not familiar, Grassl is a new company making premium stemware. Chris Freemott is the US distributor and is on this board.

Chris offers a tasting set as a try before you buy. The set includes 5 glasses - one each of the Grassl line - and a decanter. The cost is $50, includes return shipping, and is refundable with a minimum purchase.

We tried the following wines: 2018 Kung Fu Girl, 2018 Lafage rose', 2014 Winderlea Dundee Hills Pinot, 2015 Chateau Senejac Haut-Medoc, and 2007 Excelso Gran Reserva Rioja. Each Grassl glass received a small pour of the same wine, along with my current stems -- Riedel Vinum XL Pinot and Spiegelau Bordeaux.

We first took turns smelling the nose. There was a tremendous variance. For example, the Kung Fu Girl went from "all pear & viscous menthol" in one glass to "kinda tropical and airy" in another. The Lafage rose' had that Provence "bite" accentuated in one glass, while another glass showed soft and simple berries. There was an equally large variance in the taste. The different heights, bowl shapes, and curvatures change where the wine sits as you tilt the glass toward your mouth, which causes the wine to hit the palate in different ways.

All of them were winners. But for my palate, the Cru was the runaway winner. The Liberte and Mineralite were neck and neck for 2nd and 3rd place. The 1855 glass would be good for bigger, bolder wines, but I don't drink many of those. The tasting glass was a distant 5th.

The losers were my everyday stems. The Riedel Vinum XL made an effort to hold its own, but my Spiegelaus are, uh, going to go live on a farm in the countryside.

I'll definitely be making a purchase on Berserker Day.

If you are on the fence about spending money on glasses, I'd highly recommend at least trying the tasting set. You'll have a fascinating evening geeking out on wine!
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

And I'm proud to be a Berserker but not enough to join the Crü
And I won’t forget the Chardonnay that they poured down the loo
And my bottles stand up! the night before, to keep sediment away
Cause there ain’t no doubt, I'm on this board for Wine Berserker Day

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#21 Post by Chris Freemott » January 24th, 2020, 9:18 am

So we use and love the Zalto Champagne glass for bubbles; which Grassl glass is comparable? Or is this just not a wine for which Grassls are appropriate/
Counselor - I'd steer you to the Mineralité and Liberté. But, if you can wait, we just finished our champagne glass in the factory and are churning them out. The company now has two lines, a restaurant series which I've referred to as a tasting glass and the Vigneron series, which is our Zalto/Gabriel competitor. The restaurant series will be adding a champagne stem and a water glass shortly as that's what we've been asked to do by those customers.

The commentary here is exceptionally flattering and, as stated above, humbling.

There is a story to tell regarding these glasses and their origin. There is also a Forbes article likely to come out soon about this adventure. But in a nutshell, my 'gray market' adventure with Zalto grew into a little business that only exists because of the people on this board.

I'll be phasing out of Zalto stems soon. Frankly, due to how I bring them in (bypassing US distribution channels), irritates them. But, rather than engaging me, they've made the business decision to be very difficult on those I've purchased from or thru and I really feel bad that those sellers, who are within their rights as I am mine, have to deal with what they do should they be found as a source to my sales.

Alexander Mackh (Grassl owner and designer) and I met by happenstance. And what went from an email to some texting, to a phone call inside 6 days, launched this brand and went from a simple introduction to a legitimate glass in less than 6 months. In 2019 we made it into 11 countries and sold 22,000 glasses. This year we will be in 20 countries, have committed to over 50,000 units from our factory, have had 20+ winemakers put our glasses into their tasting rooms - with names like Roulot, and Marcus Goodfellow among them.

But, I make mistakes too. Missed orders because I do have a day job with an SFO startup, we have had manufacturing issues we think we have resolved, orders to wrong addresses because people move, and any other assorted new company flubs. We work hard and with as much sincerity towards the customer's satisfaction as humanly possible to always make it right.

We operate from the mindset that it is impossible to make enough money on any single order to matter but we can lose everything we've worked towards by not doing the right thing.

I cannot ever possibly thank all of you for making this become what it looks like it may be. And, if you'll grant my 'to error is human', I'll do what I can to solve a problem I created.

There will a BD post and sale - the placeholder is there -and we have a full container about to leave Slovakia with reinforcements. I've also put up three auction items for the group to bid on to support the board's costs to operate.

2020 should be a tremendous amount of fun. May I have the pleasure and honor of raising a glass with many of you in the rest of my years.

Sincerely and gratefully,

Chris

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Jeff_M. » January 24th, 2020, 9:23 am

BD just got a little more expensive. This is a definitive must order for me. We've done a few side by side tastings at home with the Grassl v Zalto and lets just say we're going to increase the number of Grassl's in the house.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet

Ryan A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Ryan A » January 24th, 2020, 9:29 am

Chris is true to his word, and stands behind any issue.

Chris- can you give us a preview of the Champagne glass please? Will there be a non-restaurant/higher level one produced as well?
Last edited by Ryan A on January 24th, 2020, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan A n s e l l

J. Rock

#24 Post by J. Rock » January 24th, 2020, 9:49 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
Brian,

I don't have any really nice wine glasses yet and have been wanting a few for Riesling and Champagne, and with this testimonial from you, I think this will have to be my new Riesling glass!
J o r d a n

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by Chris Freemott » January 24th, 2020, 10:11 am

Grassl Restaurant Series Champagne Glasses - specs ar 21.4 CM tall, 8CM width
IMG_1368.JPG
Grassl Champagne

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#26 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » January 24th, 2020, 10:33 am

Chris Freemott wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 10:11 am

IMG_1368.JPG
I will have to try it, but I will be truly surprised/impressed if I like it better than the Liberte, which is easily my favorite Champagne glass. That includes Champagnes with age.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

J. Rock

#27 Post by J. Rock » January 24th, 2020, 10:48 am

Chris Freemott wrote:

IMG_1368.JPG
Looks excellent! When will these (or the higher-end version you mentioned) be available for purchase?
J o r d a n

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#28 Post by Dave McIsaac » January 24th, 2020, 10:52 am

Chris,

When do you anticipate the Vigneron champagne stems will be available? Will they be engravable?

I won a set of both the Liberte and Mineralite stems from the BD 10 auctions last year and they are great. We tend to use the Mineralite for bubbles and the Liberte for pretty much everything else. That said, I don't drink much of the Ballah Bubbles. champagne.gif

I may need to get some of the Gran Cru to branch out this BD.

As many have noted, Chris is great to work with

Buy without reservation
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Ryan A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Ryan A » January 24th, 2020, 11:07 am

Thanks Chris. It worked. Is this the restaurant version or the higher-end version?
Ryan A n s e l l

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Brandon R » January 24th, 2020, 11:08 am

If one had limited storage space and budget, what would be the group's recommendation for the best overall glass? I drink mostly domestic wines (WA Cabs/Bdx varieites and Rhones, OR Pinots, some Cali Cab), but a decent amount of Italians as well. Some Rhone. Very little Loire.

If I had to stick with one, what would you recommend?
B. Redman

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 24th, 2020, 11:08 am

Chris is the liberte similar to the tasting glass in size?

Ryan A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Ryan A » January 24th, 2020, 11:09 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 10:33 am
Chris Freemott wrote:

IMG_1368.JPG
I will have to try it, but I will be truly surprised/impressed if I like it better than the Liberte, which is easily my favorite Champagne glass. That includes Champagnes with age.
I have to agree- will be a fun experiment.
Ryan A n s e l l

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 24th, 2020, 11:10 am

Brandon R wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 11:08 am
If one had limited storage space and budget, what would be the group's recommendation for the best overall glass? I drink mostly domestic wines (WA Cabs/Bdx varieites and Rhones, OR Pinots, some Cali Cab), but a decent amount of Italians as well. Some Rhone. Very little Loire.

It depends, but I think the tasting glass which is similar to the gg or zalto universal is unbeatable for the price of $15/stem.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Brandon R » January 24th, 2020, 11:14 am

Thanks, Michael. Storage is more of a problem than budget. Of the regular stems...which? I'm thinking Liberte or 1855.
B. Redman

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 24th, 2020, 11:16 am

Depends how much Champagne you drink and how big you like your glasses... I would probably go 1855 or Cru, if i had to choose only one and mostly drank reds.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 24th, 2020, 11:39 am

I'm really looking forward to BD to try this product
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Fred Davis

#37 Post by Fred Davis » January 24th, 2020, 11:45 am

Based on all the positive comments here, I'm looking forward to ordering some glasses.

Patrick T a y l o r

#38 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » January 24th, 2020, 11:47 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
Chris is the liberte similar to the tasting glass in size?
The Liberte is taller and its sides curve inward a little more. I much preferred it over the tasting glass.

You can see specs on Chris's website https://cjfselections.com/shop?category=Grassl+Glass

I took a picture of them side by side, but can't figure out how to add it to this post. Sorry.

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by AAgrawal » January 24th, 2020, 11:49 am

I use Grassl Cru and 1855 as my usual glasses for reds depending on region. For most whites and champagne I use Jancis Robinson's 1 glass. (I've been happy with these. Haven't tried Liberte or Minerality but would likely switch over if I broke a bunch of my current glasses.) For sauternes I use Riedel Sauternes Sommelier glasses (which have yet to be beaten, for me). I haven't touched my zalto's in a year.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#40 Post by Chris Freemott » January 24th, 2020, 11:50 am

Here are images as I see some requests above for comparisons.

Champagne will be a Restaurant series at first - Alexander is evaluating a few prototypes on the Vigneron line. The Champagne glass will be on the container leaving Europe next week.

Left to right

Z Bordeaux, G 1855, G Liberté
IMG_7731.jpg
Z Bordeaux, G 1855, Tasting Glass
IMG_7730.jpg
Liberté, Tasting - L to R & 4 ounces of wine in each
IMG_7689.jpg

Patrick T a y l o r

#41 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » January 24th, 2020, 11:55 am

Brandon R wrote:

That is hard to say, but I would probably go with the Cru or the Liberte. The wines I tasted got a little lost in the 1855. They were more focused in the Cru and Liberte. On the other hand, each glass only had a small tasting pour; a full glass may show differently. Good thing I haven't mailed them back yet.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 24th, 2020, 11:59 am

Cool; one of the things I liked about the tasting glass was that it wasn’t too high so it was harder to knock over.

Ryan A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Ryan A » January 24th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Brandon R wrote:

Brandon- as long as you are drinking wine vs tiny pours for tasting purposes or other, the 1855 should meet your needs. The only question would be whites and champagne which I would suggest buying two glasses of Liberte so they are there when you need them. My two cents.
Ryan A n s e l l

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#44 Post by Chris Freemott » January 24th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Will they be engravable?
Dave, they are - base only (we engrave the name of the stem ourselves)

We/I won't do it. But, you can find someone locally is my hunch.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Brandon R » January 24th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Thanks, All. For Champagne, I've got two GGG that I enjoy enough. Not ideal, but not bad.
B. Redman

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by dcornutt » January 24th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:

IMG_1368.JPG
NICE!
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Philip G » January 24th, 2020, 2:20 pm

What would be the recommendation for big reds like Cali Cab, Rhone and Bordeaux blends? I was thinking Liberte but then saw the comment about whites and champagne a few posts up.
Chip G@@d

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Ron Slye » January 24th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Brandon R wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 11:14 am
Thanks, Michael. Storage is more of a problem than budget. Of the regular stems...which? I'm thinking Liberte or 1855.
Brandon -- I would go with the Cru. I found the 1855 great for Bdx blends (and Barolo too sometimes), but the Cru is great for Pinot, Rhone blends, and others. I tend to use Riedel Sommelier Syrah for Rhone blends. But if I am opening a red and not sure, I grab the Cru.

They are all really great glasses. I am going to get a few more of the Liberte and Mineralite, as I only have two of each and I like both of them better than the Riedel white stems I have. They really are lovely glasses. They perform exceptionally well; look beautiful; and feel amazing. The only breakage we have had is when our now three year old threw a ball and it hit the wine glass. Surprisingly the glass shattered. Clearly a major design flaw. :-) {For the record, friends were over supervising our daughter, and seemed to think it was fun to have her throw a ball around while they drank wine.....right, none of them have children.}

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Ron Slye » January 24th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Philip G wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 2:20 pm
What would be the recommendation for big reds like Cali Cab, Rhone and Bordeaux blends? I was thinking Liberte but then saw the comment about whites and champagne a few posts up.
I would go with the 1855. I find it is better for those than my Riedel Sommelier Bdx glass. I would definitely not do Liberte -- you want the larger bowl for the big reds. For Rhone, maybe Cru -- curious to try Liberte now with Rhone. I have not done that yet! Hmmmm, maybe that will be tonights activity......

Alan Gottlieb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Alan Gottlieb » January 24th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I really like the 1855 for Tuscany wines like chianti, brunellos, etc Works great for cabs as well

Return to “Wine Talk”