Grassl Glassware

So we use and love the Zalto Champagne glass for bubbles; which Grassl glass is comparable? Or is this just not a wine for which Grassls are appropriate/

Counselor - I’d steer you to the Mineralité and Liberté. But, if you can wait, we just finished our champagne glass in the factory and are churning them out. The company now has two lines, a restaurant series which I’ve referred to as a tasting glass and the Vigneron series, which is our Zalto/Gabriel competitor. The restaurant series will be adding a champagne stem and a water glass shortly as that’s what we’ve been asked to do by those customers.

The commentary here is exceptionally flattering and, as stated above, humbling.

There is a story to tell regarding these glasses and their origin. There is also a Forbes article likely to come out soon about this adventure. But in a nutshell, my ‘gray market’ adventure with Zalto grew into a little business that only exists because of the people on this board.

I’ll be phasing out of Zalto stems soon. Frankly, due to how I bring them in (bypassing US distribution channels), irritates them. But, rather than engaging me, they’ve made the business decision to be very difficult on those I’ve purchased from or thru and I really feel bad that those sellers, who are within their rights as I am mine, have to deal with what they do should they be found as a source to my sales.

Alexander Mackh (Grassl owner and designer) and I met by happenstance. And what went from an email to some texting, to a phone call inside 6 days, launched this brand and went from a simple introduction to a legitimate glass in less than 6 months. In 2019 we made it into 11 countries and sold 22,000 glasses. This year we will be in 20 countries, have committed to over 50,000 units from our factory, have had 20+ winemakers put our glasses into their tasting rooms - with names like Roulot, and Marcus Goodfellow among them.

But, I make mistakes too. Missed orders because I do have a day job with an SFO startup, we have had manufacturing issues we think we have resolved, orders to wrong addresses because people move, and any other assorted new company flubs. We work hard and with as much sincerity towards the customer’s satisfaction as humanly possible to always make it right.

We operate from the mindset that it is impossible to make enough money on any single order to matter but we can lose everything we’ve worked towards by not doing the right thing.

I cannot ever possibly thank all of you for making this become what it looks like it may be. And, if you’ll grant my ‘to error is human’, I’ll do what I can to solve a problem I created.

There will a BD post and sale - the placeholder is there -and we have a full container about to leave Slovakia with reinforcements. I’ve also put up three auction items for the group to bid on to support the board’s costs to operate.

2020 should be a tremendous amount of fun. May I have the pleasure and honor of raising a glass with many of you in the rest of my years.

Sincerely and gratefully,

Chris

1 Like

BD just got a little more expensive. This is a definitive must order for me. We’ve done a few side by side tastings at home with the Grassl v Zalto and lets just say we’re going to increase the number of Grassl’s in the house.

Chris is true to his word, and stands behind any issue.

Chris- can you give us a preview of the Champagne glass please? Will there be a non-restaurant/higher level one produced as well?

I don’t have any really nice wine glasses yet and have been wanting a few for Riesling and Champagne, and with this testimonial from you, I think this will have to be my new Riesling glass!

Grassl Restaurant Series Champagne Glasses - specs ar 21.4 CM tall, 8CM width
IMG_1368.JPG

I will have to try it, but I will be truly surprised/impressed if I like it better than the Liberte, which is easily my favorite Champagne glass. That includes Champagnes with age.

Looks excellent! When will these (or the higher-end version you mentioned) be available for purchase?

Chris,

When do you anticipate the Vigneron champagne stems will be available? Will they be engravable?

I won a set of both the Liberte and Mineralite stems from the BD 10 auctions last year and they are great. We tend to use the Mineralite for bubbles and the Liberte for pretty much everything else. That said, I don’t drink much of the Ballah Bubbles. champagne.gif

I may need to get some of the Gran Cru to branch out this BD.

As many have noted, Chris is great to work with

Buy without reservation

Thanks Chris. It worked. Is this the restaurant version or the higher-end version?

If one had limited storage space and budget, what would be the group’s recommendation for the best overall glass? I drink mostly domestic wines (WA Cabs/Bdx varieites and Rhones, OR Pinots, some Cali Cab), but a decent amount of Italians as well. Some Rhone. Very little Loire.

If I had to stick with one, what would you recommend?

Chris is the liberte similar to the tasting glass in size?

I have to agree- will be a fun experiment.

It depends, but I think the tasting glass which is similar to the gg or zalto universal is unbeatable for the price of $15/stem.

Thanks, Michael. Storage is more of a problem than budget. Of the regular stems…which? I’m thinking Liberte or 1855.

Depends how much Champagne you drink and how big you like your glasses… I would probably go 1855 or Cru, if i had to choose only one and mostly drank reds.

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to BD to try this product

Based on all the positive comments here, I’m looking forward to ordering some glasses.

The Liberte is taller and its sides curve inward a little more. I much preferred it over the tasting glass.

You can see specs on Chris’s website Grassl Importer - Trusted Glassware & Wine Glasses | CJF Selections

I took a picture of them side by side, but can’t figure out how to add it to this post. Sorry.

1 Like

I use Grassl Cru and 1855 as my usual glasses for reds depending on region. For most whites and champagne I use Jancis Robinson’s 1 glass. (I’ve been happy with these. Haven’t tried Liberte or Minerality but would likely switch over if I broke a bunch of my current glasses.) For sauternes I use Riedel Sauternes Sommelier glasses (which have yet to be beaten, for me). I haven’t touched my zalto’s in a year.

Here are images as I see some requests above for comparisons.

Champagne will be a Restaurant series at first - Alexander is evaluating a few prototypes on the Vigneron line. The Champagne glass will be on the container leaving Europe next week.

Left to right

Z Bordeaux, G 1855, G Liberté
IMG_7731.jpg
Z Bordeaux, G 1855, Tasting Glass
IMG_7730.jpg
Liberté, Tasting - L to R & 4 ounces of wine in each
IMG_7689.jpg