Grassl Glassware

That is hard to say, but I would probably go with the Cru or the Liberte. The wines I tasted got a little lost in the 1855. They were more focused in the Cru and Liberte. On the other hand, each glass only had a small tasting pour; a full glass may show differently. Good thing I haven’t mailed them back yet.

Cool; one of the things I liked about the tasting glass was that it wasn’t too high so it was harder to knock over.

Brandon- as long as you are drinking wine vs tiny pours for tasting purposes or other, the 1855 should meet your needs. The only question would be whites and champagne which I would suggest buying two glasses of Liberte so they are there when you need them. My two cents.

Will they be engravable?

Dave, they are - base only (we engrave the name of the stem ourselves)

We/I won’t do it. But, you can find someone locally is my hunch.

Thanks, All. For Champagne, I’ve got two GGG that I enjoy enough. Not ideal, but not bad.

NICE!

What would be the recommendation for big reds like Cali Cab, Rhone and Bordeaux blends? I was thinking Liberte but then saw the comment about whites and champagne a few posts up.

Brandon – I would go with the Cru. I found the 1855 great for Bdx blends (and Barolo too sometimes), but the Cru is great for Pinot, Rhone blends, and others. I tend to use Riedel Sommelier Syrah for Rhone blends. But if I am opening a red and not sure, I grab the Cru.

They are all really great glasses. I am going to get a few more of the Liberte and Mineralite, as I only have two of each and I like both of them better than the Riedel white stems I have. They really are lovely glasses. They perform exceptionally well; look beautiful; and feel amazing. The only breakage we have had is when our now three year old threw a ball and it hit the wine glass. Surprisingly the glass shattered. Clearly a major design flaw. :slight_smile: {For the record, friends were over supervising our daughter, and seemed to think it was fun to have her throw a ball around while they drank wine…right, none of them have children.}

I would go with the 1855. I find it is better for those than my Riedel Sommelier Bdx glass. I would definitely not do Liberte – you want the larger bowl for the big reds. For Rhone, maybe Cru – curious to try Liberte now with Rhone. I have not done that yet! Hmmmm, maybe that will be tonights activity…

I really like the 1855 for Tuscany wines like chianti, brunellos, etc Works great for cabs as well

Thanks. Might pick up a couple 1855 and Cru on BD depending what’s being offered. We use Riedel Vinum Bordeaux Grand Cru for special occasions. Has anyone compared to these?

+1 1855 for sure

You know my palate, so I appreciate the recommendation, Ron!

Another fan here. I have the 1855 and Cru and love them. And Chris’ breakage policy is incredibly generous. I accidentally broke one; $10 and a few days later I had a replacement. Amazing, thank you again Chris!

Cru

i drink champersy, white burg, red burg, red rhone, and bdx from it…

1 Like

Marcus, are these the glasses we would have tasted out of when we visited you in April (2019?). I loved those glasses and have always wondered.

Brandon,
I think you would be very pleased with the Liberté as an all-around “universal” wine glass. We are. I am not familiar with the wine glasses you are currently using but for me the difference between drinking wine in the Liberté versus our long time Reidel wine glasses was astounding. To borrow a word from another thread it was almost an “Epiphany Experience”.
Cheers,
-Jim

Wish I would have known about the breakage policy. About a year ago I bought an 1855 and it got dropped after the first use. Have a cru and dig it.

Give Chris a shout

I love the 1855, its my go to glass for red. For Champagne, I still really like the Zalto Universal, but do not have any of the other Grassl’s to compare.