GLASVIN a new handmade glass!

I’ve been looking for a nice light glass that not only allows wines to shine but also won’t break the bank when I invariably crack one while washing them. Recent blunders include a Grassl 1855 and a Gabriel Glass Gold, total of $100 down the drain and entirely my own fault.
GLASVIN seems a new addition to an ever increasing number of handmade quality glasses available and is priced at the QPR level for sure. I’ve tried it on two Chianti wines, two old red Tablas Creek Esprit, and a young Gigondas, and been extremely pleased. It performs almost as well as the GGG. The bowl is slightly larger and allows for the wine to expand nicely, sometimes the GGG focuses the aromas slightly better although not always. The weight is about the same and the clarity of the glass is excellent. It’s a standard tulip shape with excellent room at the bottom if you just want 2-3oz.
For myself this is going to be an excellent everyday glass that could also be used for offlines. For great wines and discerning guests I’ll use my Grassl 1855 or Cru, while the “heathens” get the Grassl tasting glass, which is also nice and sufficiently sturdy that I don’t have to worry too much unless they decide to throw them in the fireplace!

First picture shows the shape pretty well with a Chianti that seems darker in the picture than it actually was:
IMG_1812.jpg
The second is a line-up of GGG to the left, Grassl tasting in the middle, and GLASVIN to the right:
IMG_1810.jpg
My only minor complaint is the name and only because in my native tongue “vinglas” is the word for wine glass. But who knows, maybe some Scandinavian was involved in the development.

1 Like

Thank you Peter, I really appreciate the review.
I can assure you that no Scandinavian was involved in the naming of Glasvin!

See signature for best WB Glasvin deal!

2 Likes

I don’t know David K but he offered me Glasvin test drive via WB PM so I’ve been using it side-by-side with my Grassl Liberte for the past month. I think these two glasses are oriented to slightly different uses so this might not be the ideal comparison but it is what I have handy.

Overall the quality is fairly comparable and the differences are a matter of taste and purpose. The Liberte has a more exotic shape while the Glasvin is more classic. The weights are identical (3.5 oz). The rim thickness on the Liberte is slightly finer, giving the Glasvin a more durable feel when cleaning. Empty, the Glasvin is more balanced and the Liberte is more bottom-heavy. Filled, the Liberte is more balanced and the Glasvin is more top-heavy. The pear-shape of the Liberte provides some additional aroma concentration. The wider opening of the Glasvin seems to allow for more in-glass evolution which is helpful for younger and more structured wines.

While I do find myself reaching for the Liberte more frequently, I would be happy to be served from either and can recommend Glasvin as a high-quality option. I didn’t know the price at the time of the evaluation but I gather from post #1 that it is also less expensive.

One other thing to note is that the Glasvin packaging is extremely durable and elegant; even suitable for gifting.
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_4750.jpg

Peter, you should know Chris replaces glasses for $10 shipping charge for breakage (at least those purchased here I believe) Not discounting another nice glass, but the Grassl warranty is incredible. Thankfully I’ve not had to use it [cheers.gif]

Pretty glass and great package! Bravo.
Life is too short to drink from a bad glass.
Love seeing high quality craftsmanship come to this space.
Exciting times indeed.
Best wishes on the endeavor. I’ll grab a few and report back.

1 Like

Thank you Chris - Grassl is one of the great glasses we were inspired by.
It goes without saying that if your glass breaks (especially with the shipping issues caused by COVID) - please don’t hesitate to reach out to us - we will make it right.

Sorry fellas not meaning to start a “fight” [pillow-fight.gif] . You know we all want more glasses…any edge we can get to bring out the nuance of our grape juice [group-hug.gif]

1 Like

I’m at checkout and it show shipping to be $4.90

I know, I used when two people cracked a pair when clinking they glasses! [cheers.gif]

Same here, shows a $4.90 shipping charge.

How many glasses did you try to buy. When I put in the 4 pack last night there wasn’t a shipping charge but I might change that to a two pack. (Didn’t check out yet)

Sorry about the 4.90 shipping charge. I set it so that when it’s over $95 it’s free but because of the discount it moved it into the not free territory. It’s my mistake, and it has been fixed. I will refund shipping charges to anyone who inadvertently paid for it yesterday.

I need more stemware like I need a hole in the back of my head… but ordered 8. Can’t wait to try them.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter. I definitely have a wine glass fetish developing. Love the Grassl 1855 for the vast majority of wines I drink. I use the Zalto Universal for Champagne and Riesling. Occasionally, I will break out the Zalto Burgundy, but that is becoming more rare. The GLASVIN glass definitely looks nice.

looks a bit like the jancis robinson glass?

I just put in my order for 4. Will be my first “proper” glass as I’ve mainly been drinking out of freebies from weddings and the such :slight_smile:

1 Like

Two orders in! David thank you for your prompt answer to my PM and facilitating both orders.

I just ordered four!

Thanks guys - orders shipping out this morning (my fulfillment center was on holiday the last few days…). East coast is 1-2 days. West Coast is 4-5 days. Please don’t hesitate to reach out, as always.

I’m in for 4 as well. Look like great glasses. Very timely offer as I’d already decided that the stemware in our “quarantine house” was just not up to par. Especially in light of the significant increase in wine consumption during this period! Thank you!