Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: American Cancer Society - no drinking allowed

#51 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 13th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Larry Stein wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:17 pm
I have a fondness for pretty much anything with the word "pork" in it.
Me too. The one thing I have done since my surgery is cut out all sausage and bacon. Almost four months now. Will keep it up as long as I can stand it.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Larry Stein

#52 Post by Larry Stein » June 13th, 2020, 12:30 pm

I'd say we have bacon only 3 times during the month. A friend in my Zoom wine group is very well connected with a market where he can easily source Kurobota and Sakura pork. He buys whole racks (8 chops) and divides them up. He even vacuum seals in 2 chop packs. The Sakura is flippin' amazing. Those have been my downfall. He also cures his own tesa and guanciale.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Anton D » June 13th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:00 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:14 am
I am (for now at least) a cancer survivor. My consulting oncologist did not even suggest that I stop drinking. He said (three weeks ago) weight control is by far the most important thing, and pretty much everything else (other than tobacco use - I don't) is "very minor" (his words) in comparison.
This is interesting to hear and makes sense to me. Obesity and metabolic syndrome seem to be the real drivers of almost all disease these days.

There are certainly better and worse choices on can make. Personally, I think of it in terms of what I call "poison load." We all consume things that can be considered poisons (not talking here about the things we can’t really control, like air quality). Alcohol is one of them. I also think sugar, soda, highly processed foods, trans fat, refined flour, and industrial seed oils, among other things, are poisons. Not all poisons are created equal, of course, but to keep things simple and life in balance and enjoyable, I try and control my overall poison load. I consume more alcohol than most people. I consume far, far less of those other poisons than most people. At least so far, my modest weight and robust good health seem to be positive signs.
I love the philosophy of your approach.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Anton D » June 13th, 2020, 6:22 pm

After thinking it over, I am prepared to accept a relative risk of 2.0.

I am, therefore, entitled to 9 drinks a day! No way I could maintain that pace but nice to know.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Michael Martin » June 22nd, 2020, 7:25 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 4:05 pm
Peter Petersen wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Nate Simon wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:28 pm

100%. Closest thing to a “magic bullet” I’ve encountered.
That’s what I’m doing. Not to lose weight as that is not an issue, but to regulate the chemistry of my body, stomach etc. It really works too, and makes me feel better as well.
My experience exactly.
Got my first blood test results since I started intermittent fasting in January. Triglycerides down over 50%. Fasting glucose down 15%. HDL up 10%. All other blood levels at or below mid points. All this along with losing over 13lbs from an otherwise lean body. I am sold on it and I don’t miss breakfast and I still drink wine.

Leonard Maran

#56 Post by Leonard Maran » June 22nd, 2020, 8:08 pm

Ignore it. Any studies cited in the mainstream press should be ignored until a better one comes along.

Return to “Wine Talk”