TN: 2015 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Chateau Thébaud

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Dennis Atick

TN: 2015 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Chateau Thébaud

#1 Post by Dennis Atick » June 11th, 2020, 12:56 pm

One day, when I grow up and start acting responsibly, I'm going to remember to decant young Pepiere.
  • 2015 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Chateau Thébaud - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (6/10/2020)
    This wine was kicking ass after about 2 hours of being open, and while I was on my last glass. Loaded with high-toned, citrus-laced acidity at first. Very tight, lots of minerality. The Saline streak is like a laser. Almost silky with air. So freaking good with Island Creek oysters. A gem of a wine that will be fun to follow for years to come.
Posted from CellarTracker

Brian Gilp

Re: TN: 2015 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Chateau Thébaud

#2 Post by Brian Gilp » June 11th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Thanks. I keep looking at these and waiting. I should have bought more and am afraid that if I open one they will all be gone before the end of summer.

Dennis Atick

Re: TN: 2015 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Chateau Thébaud

#3 Post by Dennis Atick » June 11th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Thanks. I keep looking at these and waiting. I should have bought more and am afraid that if I open one they will all be gone before the end of summer.
Always buy more! Advice I should follow. For $20 you can't go wrong. Good now, good later. Compelling wines. I need to leave some for a long while, but it just never seems to happen.
@decaturwinedude

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Sean_S » June 11th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Love this wine.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

Dennis Atick

#5 Post by Dennis Atick » June 11th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Sean_S wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:35 pm
Love this wine.
Yeah buddy [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
@decaturwinedude

Brian Gilp

#6 Post by Brian Gilp » July 12th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Homemade crab cakes forced me to open this tonight. Very good and a wonderful match but should have decanted. Hopefully, I can keep my hands off my remaining bottles.

M. Meer

#7 Post by M. Meer » July 13th, 2020, 12:19 am

Brian Gilp wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 3:54 pm
Very good and a wonderful match but should have decanted.
This wine is a real bruiser.
Mar.kus

Dennis Atick

#8 Post by Dennis Atick » July 13th, 2020, 2:13 pm

M. Meer wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 12:19 am
Brian Gilp wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 3:54 pm
Very good and a wonderful match but should have decanted.
This wine is a real bruiser.
I tried to tell ya [cheers.gif] Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like a good match with crab cakes. I am opening the 2017 Pépière Les Gras Moutons with a shrimp boil at the beach tonight.
@decaturwinedude

JC J o u a s

#9 Post by JC J o u a s » July 14th, 2020, 9:42 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Always buy more! Advice I should follow. For $20 you can't go wrong. Good now, good later. Compelling wines. I need to leave some for a long while, but it just never seems to happen.
Nice note in the opening post and while I fully agree that you can’t go wrong for $20, I think that you can do better in choosing to go with the 2014 (which is still widely available) over the 2015.
Jean-Christophe

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » July 14th, 2020, 9:56 am

We enjoyed another bottle of the 2010 Thebaud two weeks back. So good and still young. I have one more and I'll let it ride for a while yet.
Vincent - ITB

L e e H olland
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by L e e H olland » July 14th, 2020, 8:19 pm

This has been my favorite white of the summer. Hoping my local shop gets another case.

I. van de Laar

#12 Post by I. van de Laar » July 15th, 2020, 7:15 am

Totally forgot about this domaine I was dying to try as I like the razor-sharp mineral driven whites from the Loire. Just send out an email to a merchant with an order for Briords '16 and Thebaud '12 at very attractive pricepoints. Awesome these older vintages are still available.

Thanks for the reminder :-)
I = Ivor

I. van de Laar

#13 Post by I. van de Laar » September 11th, 2020, 1:34 am

Drank the Thebaut '12 yesterday evening. What a briljant wine! Has everything I love in whites. Racing acidity, layered complexity and a good dose of minerality. Age does not wear this wine down, tertiary flavours pop up and make it more exiting, waxy/gluey notes almost like riesling, hay supported by the everlasting acidity. Think these wines a gems, especially at this price point. Can be kept for some more years I guess.

The briords was also good bu a bit less intense, thirst quenching, good salinity and almost like drinking oyster water ;-)
I = Ivor

Dennis Atick

#14 Post by Dennis Atick » September 11th, 2020, 3:12 am

I. van de Laar wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:34 am
Drank the Thebaut '12 yesterday evening. What a briljant wine! Has everything I love in whites. Racing acidity, layered complexity and a good dose of minerality. Age does not wear this wine down, tertiary flavours pop up and make it more exiting, waxy/gluey notes almost like riesling, hay supported by the everlasting acidity. Think these wines a gems, especially at this price point. Can be kept for some more years I guess.

The briords was also good bu a bit less intense, thirst quenching, good salinity and almost like drinking oyster water ;-)
Nice! Thanks for the bump and checking in on the 2012. Certainly a high level of value in Pepiere, and still somehow feel under-the-radar. Cheers.
@decaturwinedude

Ramon C

#15 Post by Ramon C » September 11th, 2020, 6:05 am

Sounds good! I have to find some of the Thébaud.

I opened another 2014 Briords last week and it still going strong, actually better and more rounded in Day 2.
@brera

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 11th, 2020, 10:56 am

The '14 version of this is absolutely killer. I've had three bottles this summer and can't seem to keep my hands off them.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#17 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 11th, 2020, 12:57 pm

I missed this thread the first time around, apparently ...

nice note, Dennis. I liked this wine about as much as you did (assuming we score wines similarly), but I actually prefer the Briords. The Thebaud struck me as being on the softer side of Muscadet, whereas the Briords (particularly from '15) is like a rapier.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 11th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Any thoughts on the Briord 17? I bought some based on early comments, haven't touched them yet, but the more recent Cellartracker notes, while positive, seem to imply that its from a "riper" vintage than normal and not quite it's normally electric self.

jrozes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by jrozes » September 11th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:42 pm
Any thoughts on the Briord 17? I bought some based on early comments, haven't touched them yet, but the more recent Cellartracker notes, while positive, seem to imply that its from a "riper" vintage than normal and not quite it's normally electric self.
I haven't found that to be the case with the 17. While not quite up to the level of the 14, to me it seems closer to that than say, the 15 or 18.
Jonathan

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 11th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:57 pm

nice note, Dennis. I liked this wine about as much as you did (assuming we score wines similarly), but I actually prefer the Briords. The Thebaud struck me as being on the softer side of Muscadet, whereas the Briords (particularly from '15) is like a rapier.
I find that interesting Brian, as I really didn't like the '15 Briords, finding it too soft and round. Of course, at the time I was coming off the '14, which I loved and found to have much more acidity.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 11th, 2020, 1:52 pm

jrozes wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:48 pm
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:42 pm
I haven't found that to be the case with the 17. While not quite up to the level of the 14, to me it seems closer to that than say, the 15 or 18.
Completely agree with this.

Dennis Atick

#22 Post by Dennis Atick » September 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm

You all inspired me. Just dropped a '15 Gorges into a decanter.
Heading up to the corner to Kimball House in a little bit to pick up a to-go order of 2 dozen Island Creek oysters.
Going to be a good night!
Attachments
IMG-1572.jpg
@decaturwinedude

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 11th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Thanks for the encouragement on 2017!

I’ve never had the Thebaud, love hearing about different folks impressions vs the Briords. If it better than the a Briords in great vintages, then I gotta get some!

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Vince T » September 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm

I had the exact same reaction as you Brian, although I did note that it was brighter and more balanced on day 2:

“The nose still shares the focused lemon, seaspray and chalk as the Briords, but in the mouth, it's not nearly as sharp/linear/acidic as the Briords (although it may also partly be 2015). This cuvee seems to be all about soft minerals and a silky, lustrous texture. Has more structure and needs a bit of air to start unfurling. I would say slightly disappointing compared to Briords, but perhaps I need to not look at it in that context. Better on day 2 - more brightness emerges to balance the softness. 90”
T s 3 n g

Dennis Atick

#25 Post by Dennis Atick » September 11th, 2020, 3:59 pm

The 2015 Gorges is still a firecracker. So much stacked in here, even with a decant. You can feel the wine scouring your gums seconds later. A laser beam-powerful wine. I keep drinking these, but I need to leave some alone for a while.
@decaturwinedude

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#26 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 18th, 2020, 8:11 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:51 pm

I find that interesting Brian, as I really didn't like the '15 Briords, finding it too soft and round. Of course, at the time I was coming off the '14, which I loved and found to have much more acidity.
Lol! That's funny! And this is one of many reasons why this hobby is so much fun. [cheers.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#27 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 18th, 2020, 9:31 am

FWIW, Eric Asimov (NYTimes) recently recommended the 2014 Thebaud:

"This is one of my favorite Muscadets from one of my favorite Muscadet producers. It’s made from a parcel of vines grown in a particular sort of fissured granite, and is aged for more than four years before it’s released. It’s dense, with great minerality, a creamy texture and incisive acidity, yet still light on its feet. If you adhere to the old “R” month myth for eating oysters, this is your perfect September wine. It will also go beautifully with other shellfish and seafood preparations, and with creamy sauces."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/dini ... nners.html

RT

emile bond

#28 Post by emile bond » September 19th, 2020, 9:25 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 10:56 am
The '14 version of this is absolutely killer. I've had three bottles this summer and can't seem to keep my hands off them.
Just received a case of Thebaud ‘14s. Opened the first bottle last night and enjoyed half as apero. Will finish the other half this eve. Brilliant wine and would bury many Chablis AC wines and costs less.

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Marshall Manning » September 19th, 2020, 5:53 pm

emile bond wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 9:25 am
Michae1 P0wers wrote:
Just received a case of Thebaud ‘14s. Opened the first bottle last night and enjoyed half as apero. Will finish the other half this eve. Brilliant wine and would bury many Chablis AC wines and costs less.
Good to know. I always love this wine, and recently picked up a case at auction for $160 including commission.
Marshall

Jeremy Holmes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Jeremy Holmes » September 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Had the '15 Gorges last week. It is drinking really well.
ITB

I. van de Laar

#31 Post by I. van de Laar » September 20th, 2020, 1:17 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 9:31 am
FWIW, Eric Asimov (NYTimes) recently recommended the 2014 Thebaud:

"This is one of my favorite Muscadets from one of my favorite Muscadet producers. It’s made from a parcel of vines grown in a particular sort of fissured granite, and is aged for more than four years before it’s released. It’s dense, with great minerality, a creamy texture and incisive acidity, yet still light on its feet. If you adhere to the old “R” month myth for eating oysters, this is your perfect September wine. It will also go beautifully with other shellfish and seafood preparations, and with creamy sauces."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/dini ... nners.html

RT
Good news for the Domaine this article. Maybe a bit lesser for us already into this wine.. ;-) Can any local guess what the impact is of such an NYT review is?
I = Ivor

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#32 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 20th, 2020, 5:19 am

Asimov recommends a lot of wine. It was one of a dozen in the article. There might be a sales bump but I doubt it's going to cause much of a longer-term market move.

RT

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 20th, 2020, 8:07 am

Marshall Manning wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 5:53 pm
emile bond wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 9:25 am
Michae1 P0wers wrote:
Good to know. I always love this wine, and recently picked up a case at auction for $160 including commission.
Killer wine and great price, well done Marshall.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Kris Patten » September 20th, 2020, 10:03 am

These are wines you just buy every year due to the beauty of vintage diversity and the wines are never pondering or heavy regardless of vintage.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”