WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Rohit B

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#2101 Post by Rohit B »

• 2017 Radio Silence Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/25/2021)
    Stunning. Decanted for about 30min, and opened in the glass. 1h is plenty for this wine.

The color is quite dark, opaque, with just a hint of lightening towards the rim. Nose is beautiful with layers of dark fruit. Black currant, blackberries, plum, gently surrounded by subtle oaky aromas. Palate has layers of fruit lifted by gentle acid. Think blueberries, blackberries, tart cherries. Finish has very fine grained tannins that give a rocky-earthy flavor, a little zip from acid, blueberry, and plum.

This is Napa Cab, no doubt about it. Such beautiful layers of fruit supported by tannin and acid. Supposedly from Realm, and this is what they didn't want to keep?!

Drinking so well now, but I'm gonna hold onto my last bottles for at least 3 years just to see. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
13 h @ n

Tags:

Jeff L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2102 Post by Jeff L »

Thoughts on the “commission” offering? I got burned on the Good Decisions NDA marketing so am looking for input from anyone who had the first offering last year I believe.
L e & i * e

B. Davies

#2103 Post by B. Davies »

Their new $125 NDA value seems a bit :|
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

B. Davies

#2104 Post by B. Davies »

Warren Taranow wrote: December 25th, 2021, 12:21 pm Yesterday, I took delivery on three bottles of 2012 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année I purchased for under $90@ including tax and shipping. I used a $90 Amex credit, and a new customer 20% discount code. That's great holiday gift for us!

Cheers!
Warren
I used a referral credit to go on 2 bottles of that. I'm looking forward to it.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Guillermo M
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2105 Post by Guillermo M »

B. Davies wrote: December 24th, 2021, 9:45 am
  • NV Vantz Clippert Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (12/23/2021)
    Pale yellow slightly golden color. Very fine bubbles. A lot of grapefruit on the nose. Apple, lemon, slightly yeasty aromas. Very light mouse. Good for those who don’t like aggressive bubbles. Little bit of lime on the mid palate, medium acidity, has a stone fruit under tone, touch of honey. The acidity is really mouth watering but pleasant… there is a good amount but it’s not aggressive. We both like enjoyed with Vietnamese. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Drink now imo.
Yeah. Lots of apples on this. You found more stuff than I did. For a no-name Champ, it's better than expected. When I had it, some loved it. Just not my style.
Guillermo M e n a

"Chardonnay is a weed." -- Jasper Morris

B. Davies

#2106 Post by B. Davies »

Guillermo M wrote: December 29th, 2021, 10:49 am

Yeah. Lots of apples on this. You found more stuff than I did. For a no-name Champ, it's better than expected. When I had it, some loved it. Just not my style.
I'm keeping my expectations in check with gonet medeville champagne... Everyone is coming in and buying it because of the WaPo article. If it's not better than Aubry 1er NV I'll be like nahhh dood.

If you're ever bored I'll pop some J.M. Labruyere Prologue with you! A few other Berserkers in the area were thinking about doing wine nights just because we find we can't drink bottles of wine by ourselves :P (This was before Omicron tho....) I read that it was a supplier to Dom. Maybe we can do a 2008, 2010, 2012 Dom P night and get all the QpR people mad.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Guillermo M
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2107 Post by Guillermo M »

B. Davies wrote: December 29th, 2021, 10:54 am

I'm keeping my expectations in check with gonet medeville champagne... Everyone is coming in and buying it because of the WaPo article. If it's not better than Aubry 1er NV I'll be like nahhh dood.

If you're ever bored I'll pop some J.M. Labruyere Prologue with you! A few other Berserkers in the area were thinking about doing wine nights just because we find we can't drink bottles of wine by ourselves :P (This was before Omicron tho....) I read that it was a supplier to Dom. Maybe we can do a 2008, 2010, 2012 Dom P night and get all the QpR people mad.
After I get over the Omicron or Delta or whatever variant it is I have. I thought I was over it then it rebounded. I am no fun right now.
Guillermo M e n a

B. Davies

#2108 Post by B. Davies »

Guillermo M wrote: December 29th, 2021, 10:58 am
B. Davies wrote: December 29th, 2021, 10:54 am

After I get over the Omicron or Delta or whatever variant it is I have. I thought I was over it then it rebounded. I am no fun right now.
Oh sorry to hear! We got the fancy reader device last week before I cooked xmas dinner for my parents. It's like a whole plugin device with microchips and everything. It's the test that's supposed to be better than the one that comes with solution since it has a bigger detection range and also can detect asymptomatic. The CVS one only really detects if you have symptoms and has a short testing window.

I'm sure you're still fun!
WSET III
Bill Davies

B. Davies

#2109 Post by B. Davies »

Are you going to get the 2012 Bollinger La Grande Annee Brut Champagne ? I'm in it for 2 bottles.

I was overly tired but the small sip I tried of the Divine Droplets did not "WOW" me... I'll give it another shot later, but I thought it was going to be refined but it's actually more rustic. Many people thought it was going to sparkling since the WA notes compared it to Cru level champagne. I think that marketing copy was a bit disingenuous too with that wording. If anything it's closer to entry level burgundy.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Guillermo M
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2110 Post by Guillermo M »

B. Davies wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:48 am Are you going to get the 2012 Bollinger La Grande Annee Brut Champagne ? I'm in it for 2 bottles.

I was overly tired but the small sip I tried of the Divine Droplets did not "WOW" me... I'll give it another shot later, but I thought it was going to be refined but it's actually more rustic. Many people thought it was going to sparkling since the WA notes compared it to Cru level champagne. I think that marketing copy was a bit disingenuous too with that wording. If anything it's closer to entry level burgundy.
I think they're all sold.
Guillermo M e n a

B. Davies

#2111 Post by B. Davies »

Guillermo M wrote: December 29th, 2021, 12:10 pm
B. Davies wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:48 am Are you going to get the 2012 Bollinger La Grande Annee Brut Champagne ? I'm in it for 2 bottles.

I think they're all sold.
Wow.... it was still available 4 hours ago...

<_<
WSET III
Bill Davies

YLee

#2112 Post by YLee »

It Has been all sold out for several days in NY.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

ChrisWolff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2113 Post by ChrisWolff »

Really tasty bottle of Guigal Condrieu available for $100, right about WS low. If you have an Amex discount it gets down to a great price

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... be422c47c/

http://share.wineaccess.com/v/chris_47

Tom Horn
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2114 Post by Tom Horn »

ChrisWolff wrote: January 4th, 2022, 7:32 pm Really tasty bottle of Guigal Condrieu available for $100, right about WS low. If you have an Amex discount it gets down to a great price

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... be422c47c/

http://share.wineaccess.com/v/chris_47
I was looking at this bottle and will probably pull the trigger since I have a credit with them.

Complete sidenote, but I had an issue with an order last month and they stepped up and made it right immediately. Re-shipped 6 of the 12 bottles they still had and offered credit or refund on the others.

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2115 Post by David_K »

2016 Trimbach Riesling 390ème Anniversaire is now up on WineAccess. Anyone know anything about this wine?
K@ntrОwi╦z

cjsadler

#2116 Post by cjsadler »

David_K wrote: January 7th, 2022, 8:05 am 2016 Trimbach Riesling 390ème Anniversaire is now up on WineAccess. Anyone know anything about this wine?
This caught my eye too. Some info here: https://www.morrellwine.com/topics/Who- ... g4303336ts

I don't see many tasting notes of this wine yet, but some of the ones I found mention that it has a fair bit of residual sugar to it. I think of Trimbach as usually having a fairly dry style.
Chris Sadler

JOwen

#2117 Post by JOwen »

New NDA - here we go again. The Big Ticket. As I read the description, I sense they want us to believe this is Opus…guesses from the peanut gallery?
J 0 s h

YLee

#2118 Post by YLee »

JOwen wrote: January 8th, 2022, 6:13 pm New NDA - here we go again. The Big Ticket. As I read the description, I sense they want us to believe this is Opus…guesses from the peanut gallery?
States that exclusive releases break 4 digits.
I dont know of Opus in the 4 digits.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2119 Post by HoosJustinG »

JOwen wrote: January 8th, 2022, 6:13 pm New NDA - here we go again. The Big Ticket. As I read the description, I sense they want us to believe this is Opus…guesses from the peanut gallery?
What makes you think Opus? Bottlings “start at $300” and go over “$1000.” Overture and Opus both come in way below that basically everywhere. AFAIK, no bottles actually go for 4 digits off mailing lists (let’s assume we’re talking 750’s), though a few (?) do at retail.

I think my best guess is they’re trying to imply Colgin. At retail, their bottles probably do go for over $1000 some places. They don’t really have a place to put declassified fruit - at least one that’s public.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

JOwen

#2120 Post by JOwen »

I was focused on the alliteration (opulence) and reference to Mouton…missed the four digit comment. Well that should narrow it down, no? Realm tops out there but also starts lower than 300. The old Yesterday bottles were rumored to be (but theory debunked?) Harlan, so not sure what to think there. Schrader?
J 0 s h

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2121 Post by HoosJustinG »

JOwen wrote: January 8th, 2022, 6:50 pm I was focused on the alliteration (opulence) and reference to Mouton…missed the four digit comment. Well that should narrow it down, no? Realm tops out there but also starts lower than 300. The old Yesterday bottles were rumored to be (but theory debunked?) Harlan, so not sure what to think there. Schrader?
Schrader has the entire STZ portfolio to dump declassified fruit — they don’t need WA. And it’s not really an “estate” the way it’s traditionally understood. Pricing fits, though…

Tyler F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2122 Post by Tyler F. »

From the clues shared, Colgin makes the most sense, IMO.
Tyler Fabian

2022 WOTY Candidates -

Loading, please wait...

JOwen

#2123 Post by JOwen »

Makes a ton of sense! That said, I’m not sure pricing matches up with Colgin. I also don’t think of Colgin as having a singular flagship bottling (as write-up implies). I’ll toss another name in the hat to ponder - Promontory.

Separately, I wonder if the name has less to do with the price-point of the source and more to do with the size of the check WA had to stroke…perhaps implying a large quantity of this particular NDA project?
J 0 s h

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2124 Post by HoosJustinG »

JOwen wrote: January 8th, 2022, 7:31 pm Makes a ton of sense! That said, I’m not sure pricing matches up with Colgin. I also don’t think of Colgin as having a singular flagship bottling (as write-up implies). I’ll toss another name in the hat to ponder - Promontory.

Separately, I wonder if the name has less to do with the price-point of the source and more to do with the size of the check WA had to stroke…perhaps implying a large quantity of this particular NDA project?
Nothing is a perfect fit with all they wrote. They state outright that multiple bottlings sell for 4 digits, but I agree they do strongly imply a “flagship” single wine as well. I’m sort of assuming they’re implying the IX Estate bottling here, and I figure this is declassified fruit from Colgin’s own estate.

I’ve been out of the buying game for a while on NDAs but I do love the detective game. Still, I don’t think $39 for declassified Colgin is all that great of a deal.

YLee

#2125 Post by YLee »

NDA is like mystery boxes.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Kevin S.

#2126 Post by Kevin S. »

How about Ghost Horse? There is a cheaper cab, plus several 4 digit versions.
5 p 3 I I m A n

JOwen

#2127 Post by JOwen »

The email communication includes new/additional language that certainly implies Ghost Horse (the legendary estate where we sourced this wine makes the biggest ticket Napa cabernet of them all), but GH only makes 240 cases per year TOTAL. Could they have declassified the entire 2019 vintage? Did they recently change hands? It’s only a 2 acre estate, so - if this guess is accurate - then 1) I’m very intrigued and 2) there has to be more than this story.

For this NDA, it also appears the wine was already finished when purchased by WA (as opposed to purchasing fruit or unfinished barrel), so that - to me - only increases the appeal. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but mentally getting close…
J 0 s h

Andrew Demaree
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2128 Post by Andrew Demaree »

If the vineyard used for Ghost Horse is considered to be part of the Anderson’s Conn Valley estate, then production of the entire estate is much larger. And, through that lens, this might be nothing more than extra barrels of ACV’s introductory cab (which is usually found in the $40 price range, I believe).

Larry Chmel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2129 Post by Larry Chmel »

The quote from the email (below) provides some info if there are any Napa historians out there.

"The acres that produced this wine are set so far back in the rugged foothills of Oakville that during Prohibition, federal inspectors never found the distillery that once inhabited these parts."

JOwen

#2130 Post by JOwen »

https://ejalighting.com/wp-content/uplo ... ontory.pdf

Brings me back to Promontory - and the attached article references a prohibition-era bootlegger still (and the rugged foothills of Oakville)
J 0 s h

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2131 Post by David Crow »

JOwen wrote: January 9th, 2022, 8:21 am https://ejalighting.com/wp-content/uplo ... ontory.pdf

Brings me back to Promontory - and the attached article references a prohibition-era bootlegger still (and the rugged foothills of Oakville)
Bingo! The prohibition era distillery makes it seem like this must be promontory. Here is another article referencing it:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisu ... te-winery/

It seems very likely some of the Yesterday wines and maybe some others have been from Harlan properties so this makes sense. Promontory is also a huge property and they are doing lots of replanting with younger vines that may not even make the cut for the Mascot so it makes sense they would have excess juice.

JOwen

#2132 Post by JOwen »

Really enjoying (about halfway through my cases) my Yesterday bottles, so couldn’t resist and just placed an order. I certainly don’t need more NDA wine, but apparently have zero will-power…
J 0 s h

JOwen

#2133 Post by JOwen »

Ummm…they just took the wine/offer down. Think it had anything to do with us :)

Will be interested to see if it’s placed back up with even more info redacted
J 0 s h

craig dods

#2134 Post by craig dods »

Sold out already

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2135 Post by Eric White »

offer still shows up for me

edit: in for four, used up my final AmEx $30 off $100 offer.

MatthewT
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2136 Post by MatthewT »

In for 4 w/ a $30 off offer and free shipping.
I'm a Turk

Jeff L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2137 Post by Jeff L »

Was sold out for me but then back. I didn’t think it mattered but maybe it counts the “in cart” amounts towards being sold out and as carts expire they come back?
L e & i * e

G. Singh

#2138 Post by G. Singh »

Sold out for me.
G u r k i r p a l

Kevin S.

#2139 Post by Kevin S. »

I don't see any mention of a still anymore.
5 p 3 I I m A n

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2140 Post by Scott Brunson »

YLee wrote: January 9th, 2022, 5:36 am NDA is like mystery boxes.
This
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

MatthewT
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2141 Post by MatthewT »

Sold out in San Diego
I'm a Turk

ScottieB

#2142 Post by ScottieB »

The Big Ticket writeup says that "this estate’s bottlings start at $300, and the most exclusive releases stretch well into the four-digit range." Promontory only has two releases -- Penultimate which sells for about $450 and Promontory which sells for about $925 (for reference, Harlan's flagship wine is $1000 off the mailing list). While the Oakville hills and distillery reference may suggests it's Promontory, the pricing doesn't match the description, casting doubt that Big Ticket is indeed Promontory. The write-up also suggests there are multiple releases that are in the four digit range, and Promontory at most has two releases.
B e c k m a n

JOwen

#2143 Post by JOwen »

ScottieB wrote: January 9th, 2022, 10:17 pm The Big Ticket writeup says that "this estate’s bottlings start at $300, and the most exclusive releases stretch well into the four-digit range." Promontory only has two releases -- Penultimate which sells for about $450 and Promontory which sells for about $925 (for reference, Harlan's flagship wine is $1000 off the mailing list). While the Oakville hills and distillery reference may suggests it's Promontory, the pricing doesn't match the description, casting doubt that Big Ticket is indeed Promontory. The write-up also suggests there are multiple releases that are in the four digit range, and Promontory at most has two releases.
As was mentioned by others, there won’t likely be a perfect fit (by design)…so what’s your guess? I could see the language being vague enough to account for auction pricing (which would account for range) and vintage being used interchangeably with ‘most exclusive releases’ for similar end-result.

Ghost Horse is the only one that lines up with pricing, but doesn’t match with other clues…so I’m completely open to suggestions!
J 0 s h

ScottieB

#2144 Post by ScottieB »

I wish I had a better guess. I looked at maps for Oakville foothill vineyards that meet the other parameters and came up dry. Ghost Horse fits except I think their vineyard is in Coombsville Note that they appear to have taken the reference to the the Oakville foothill vineyard on the WA website description. So perhaps a mistake was made in the original “full story” and that in fact this NDA wine could be from Coombsville?
B e c k m a n

J3ff S@g@n

#2145 Post by J3ff S@g@n »

How many Napa cabs really go for 4 digits? What are other reasonable choices other than Harlan / Promontory / Penultimate ?

ScottieB

#2146 Post by ScottieB »

Screaming Eagle, Ghost Horse…. Even Harlan is barely four digits at $1000 on release.
B e c k m a n

J Liang

#2147 Post by J Liang »

For what it's worth, I do see Promontory on Eleven Madison Park's wine list.
J u l i a

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2148 Post by HoosJustinG »

J3ff S@g@n wrote: January 10th, 2022, 10:15 am How many Napa cabs really go for 4 digits? What are other reasonable choices other than Harlan / Promontory / Penultimate ?
Harlan allocates some bottles to retailers and I believe the price via that channel is like $1600.

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2149 Post by David Crow »

Here is a different take on private label wines. Wine Access is offering a three pack of wine made especially for them by winemaker Maayan Koschitzky. Sold in three packs with one each of St Helena, Howell Mountain, and Oakville cab.

It looks like it’s already sold out in 750s but a three pack of magnums is available for $2,000!

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2019 ... bc6d206cc/

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2150 Post by HoosJustinG »

David Crow wrote: January 18th, 2022, 5:36 pm Here is a different take on private label wines. Wine Access is offering a three pack of wine made especially for them by winemaker Maayan Koschitzky. Sold in three packs with one each of St Helena, Howell Mountain, and Oakville cab.

It looks like it’s already sold out in 750s but a three pack of magnums is available for $2,000!

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2019 ... bc6d206cc/
Saw this .. absolutely bananas. You’re telling me that for $2000 on 3 Napa cab magnums, I can have a 3 of these … or one each from VHR, Spottswoode and Eisele (table napkin math, but pretty sure I nailed it)? LOL come on man… who is the market for this?

Return to “Wine Talk”