Looking at two new functions with software update (POLL)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine

Should we include these features/functions?

Yes on 'Like/Dislike'
26%
No on 'Like/Dislike'
25%
Yes on Social Share
8%
No on Social Share
40%

Total votes: 452

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Looking at two new functions with software update (POLL)

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 18th, 2020, 2:21 pm

I wanted to run by two potential new functions as I book the upgrading of the forum software yet again. These are extensions, not built-in to the software, but over the years both have been requested, so I wanted to get a poll going to see what you all think, and a discussion as well.

First is the 'like/dislike' function. While the 'like' function might be good, not sure exactly how many want to use it, but if the number is strong, I don't see why I shouldn't include it. Dislike might cause some issues, so we'll see!

Here's what it looks like, below. There is a 'like' button, or dislike, and that calculates the 'rating' of the thread. More specific info here:

-adds Thanks button to the posts at the end of the post buttons row
-allows thanking and removing thank for a post
-adds a feature to display posts/topics/forums rating based on the count of post thanks for them (thankslist) (configurable)
-adds a controller to display a list of users who thanked others and who got thanks for their posts
-adds a controller to display a list of top thanked posts/topics/forums (toplist) (configurable)
-adds special group permissions to control viewing of toplist and thankslist
-adds special permissions to control user abilities to thank for posts (local, forum-based) and to clean thanks list (global)
-adds "standard" permission sets to the predefined roles
-adds notifications for the thanking and thanks removing events (including board and email notifications, configurable in UCP)
-if rating displaying for all of posts/topics/forums is disabled, the toplist is unavailable
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 2.17.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 2.17.44 PM.png
Next is Social Share, where all users can share topics/discussions on their various social media platforms. I would be able to select which ones to include or leave out, and I don't want as many as is shown:
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 2.14.57 PM.png
(Click on the images to see larger size)

Poll attached for yes/no on each. Each user is allowed two votes (as there is a yes and no for each)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: Looking at two new functions with software update (POLL)

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 18th, 2020, 2:27 pm

My concern with 'like/dislike' is that it becomes a beauty contest, of sorts. Every single topic/thread is rated, thus some that might be otherwise excellent get avoided, and others are spammed with likes for no good reason.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Jeff_M. » August 18th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 2:27 pm
My concern with 'like/dislike' is that it becomes a beauty contest, of sorts. Every single topic/thread is rated, thus some that might be otherwise excellent get avoided, and others are spammed with likes for no good reason.
I think that happens with some threads now anyways with good threads getting missed and others getting lots of posts. Its always something you can turn off down the road if it becomes a problem.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

J. Rock

#4 Post by J. Rock » August 18th, 2020, 2:35 pm

I feel like the "like" (and maybe "dislike") feature would be more useful with respect to individual posts, rather than threads. I think the number of replies already indicates how popular a thread is and the subject typically gives me an idea if it's something I'd be interested in. I do, however, think it would be nice to be able to quickly "like" someone's post when you either agree with it or find it particularly helpful.
J o r d a n

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#5 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 18th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I'm quite surprised with the number of 'nos' on social share - why wouldn't people want to share WB discussions in their social networks, expand the reach and discussion?

dbailey

#6 Post by dbailey » August 18th, 2020, 2:38 pm

How about fixing the remember me function? It’s incredibly tedious having to logon repeatedly.
Dan

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#7 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 18th, 2020, 2:40 pm

dbailey wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 2:38 pm
How about fixing the remember me function? It’s incredibly tedious having to logon repeatedly.
That's a browser issue, not a forum issue. It involves the cookies that the forum sets, and how your browser remembers them. if you have a bunch of cookies saved on your browser for the same website, they often conflict

David Wright
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by David Wright » August 18th, 2020, 2:40 pm

So the social share feature would link/copy threads from here to facebook, etc.? Not good for folks who purposely avoid (shun) those platforms.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#9 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 18th, 2020, 2:42 pm

David Wright wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 2:40 pm
So the social share feature would link/copy threads from here to facebook, etc.? Not good for folks who purposely avoid (shun) those platforms.
Correct. I would hope that those who shun those platforms won't vote against it, as they won't use it either way

David Wright
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by David Wright » August 18th, 2020, 2:45 pm

But their posts would be shared on platforms they do not wish to have a presence on.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by TimF » August 18th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 2:36 pm
I'm quite surprised with the number of 'nos' on social share - why wouldn't people want to share WB discussions in their social networks, expand the reach and discussion?
What happens in the forum stays in the forum.
Tim F@itsch

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#12 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Agreed. I also wonder if the like/dislike buttons will cause a drop in interaction. It's pretty easy to post, "Thanks for that great post." and a post like that, in my opinion, helps positively build the community in ways that a click of the "like" button won't. So, I click "dislike" on the "like/dislike" buttons. pepsi [wink.gif] [berserker.gif]

As for the "share" button: I don't like the idea, **especially** for Asylum posts. Speaking only for myself: I've always enjoyed that WB posts stay in WB (for the most part --- I'm sure there are exceptions).
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#13 Post by c fu » August 18th, 2020, 2:54 pm

TimF wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
What happens in the forum stays in the forum.
Except the forum is completely searchable via google?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

David Wright
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by David Wright » August 18th, 2020, 2:56 pm

But then someone has to come here actively to see what is in a forum here -- not just passively scan stuff put in front of them on facebook

dbailey

#15 Post by dbailey » August 18th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
dbailey wrote:
That's a browser issue, not a forum issue. It involves the cookies that the forum sets, and how your browser remembers them. if you have a bunch of cookies saved on your browser for the same website, they often conflict
I’m just accessing it from my ipad/iphone. Not sure that has any way of saving or deleting cookies that I can use to fix the problem but if there is a way I’d be very grateful. This is the only website where it happens.
Dan

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 18th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
My take as well
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#17 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 18th, 2020, 3:14 pm

dbailey wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
dbailey wrote:
I’m just accessing it from my ipad/iphone. Not sure that has any way of saving or deleting cookies that I can use to fix the problem but if there is a way I’d be very grateful. This is the only website where it happens.
Whichever device you experience it on, Google 'delete cookies' for a particular site, choose WB in those directions - you'll lose your saved login and have to do it again, but it will create a fresh one so that you won't have the issue going forward. This is not the best space for such discussions, though...

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by TimF » August 18th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Hey, everyone on my feed, check out what an ass so and so is being and how much of a dumpster fire this thread is.

What could possibly go wrong?
Tim F@itsch

ybarselah

#19 Post by ybarselah » August 18th, 2020, 3:18 pm

not a stats guy, but shouldn't this be 2 separate polls?

1. how do you feel about likes?

2. how do you feel about sharing to socials?
Yaacov (ITB)

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Jeff_M. » August 18th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
don't need my wife seeing how much wine I buy, even though I did vote yes on the social network sharing.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 18th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Agreed. I also wonder if the like/dislike buttons will cause a drop in interaction. It's pretty easy to post, "Thanks for that great post." and a post like that, in my opinion, helps positively build the community in ways that a click of the "like" button won't. So, I click "dislike" on the "like/dislike" buttons. pepsi [wink.gif] [berserker.gif]

As for the "share" button: I don't like the idea, **especially** for Asylum posts. Speaking only for myself: I've always enjoyed that WB posts stay in WB (for the most part --- I'm sure there are exceptions).
I was thinking the opposite on the post-specific like button. I often appreciate a point made or information provided, but pause to consider whether others will be annoyed on opening a thread only to see that the "new post" is just a "thanks for posting." I usually do anyway, but I could understand someone being mildly miffed after opening a couple of threads only to see "thanks."

If the like/dislike are for threads instead of posts, I can't see the purpose
Last edited by Neal.Mollen on August 18th, 2020, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Mark Y » August 18th, 2020, 3:21 pm

I'm not sure pepole understand the social share function.. it just makes social share easier..
u can already just cut/paste a website link to your social post (like to facebook) if you wanted to.. i don't get why people don't want to make it easier?
Y.e.

AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by AndyK » August 18th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
dbailey wrote:
This is the most annoying thing on WB to me. Every time I go to the website on my phone, I have to log in. Never happens on my computer or with other websites on my phone. So while the browser may play a role, it's probably not the only thing...

Especially sucks if you paid for GCC and have to log in, then click on Wine Talk every single time just to avoid ads...
k0berl

2020 WOTY Candidates
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
NV Krug Champagne Brut Rosé 18éme
2007 Marcel Juge Cornas

ybarselah

#24 Post by ybarselah » August 18th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
dbailey wrote:
not true. for those that have this issue, you can test it by trying on a new browser, someone else's computer that has never gone to this site, etc. Very easy to reproduce. I just live with it now and it's one extra click since all browsers save and pre-fill your info now, so hardly an issue.
Yaacov (ITB)

Paul Luckin

#25 Post by Paul Luckin » August 18th, 2020, 3:42 pm

J. Rock wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 2:35 pm
I feel like the "like" (and maybe "dislike") feature would be more useful with respect to individual posts, rather than threads. I think the number of replies already indicates how popular a thread is and the subject typically gives me an idea if it's something I'd be interested in. I do, however, think it would be nice to be able to quickly "like" someone's post when you either agree with it or find it particularly helpful.
^^this^^

::likebutton::
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Lee Barnard
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Lee Barnard » August 18th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:21 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

I was thinking the opposite on the post-specific like button. I often appreciate a point made or information provided, but pause to consider whether others will be annoyed on opening a thread only to see that the "new post" is just a "thanks for posting." I usually do anyway, but I could understand someone being mildly miffed after opening a couple of threads only to see "thanks."

Agree with this. I use another non-wine forum and I find the ability to like a post is helpful, particularly as it makes it easy to simply agree with a post, instead of a bunch of additional posts saying +1, thanks or repeating the first good response in slightly different words. Keeps it tidy and allows subsequent posts to be more focused on additional commentary or disagreement.

I do note there is no dislike option and that makes sense to me. If you disagree, it adds to the conversation to know why.

Liking a post within a thread has no impact other than you can see how many people and who liked it.

ybarselah

#27 Post by ybarselah » August 18th, 2020, 3:46 pm

here's a great feature request: make all embedded links open in a new tab like most other sites. it actually used to be hard coded here but changed at some point.
Yaacov (ITB)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#28 Post by c fu » August 18th, 2020, 3:48 pm

David Wright wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 2:56 pm
But then someone has to come here actively to see what is in a forum here -- not just passively scan stuff put in front of them on facebook
you can just directly link to a thread with a copy and paste now. Not sure how it's different other than making it a couple steps easier

Instead of having to Copy/Paste a link from WB then move to your social media. It'll just do it without having to copy/paste swap and swap to a new webpage.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Alan Rath » August 18th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:13 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
My take as well
Could be. But I kind of like the idea of being able to give a thumbs up to a post without having to actually add another post and clutter up the thread with "nice note", etc. No biggie either way, though.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Pat Burton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Pat Burton » August 18th, 2020, 4:01 pm

c fu wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:48 pm
David Wright wrote:
you can just directly link to a thread with a copy and paste now. Not sure how it's different other than making it a couple steps easier

Instead of having to Copy/Paste a link from WB then move to your social media. It'll just do it without having to copy/paste swap and swap to a new webpage.
Honestly, I despise social media of all types. While i recognize one could use the copy and paste method, making it easier for my posts to show up on someone's social media is quite unpleasant to me. If this feature is added, it will affect my posting.
CT - Prof B

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Mark Y » August 18th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Paul Luckin wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:42 pm
J. Rock wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 2:35 pm
^^this^^

::likebutton::
+1111
Yes. I must’ve misunderstood. Who needs like/dislike for a thread?
Like/dislike should be on a post level.
Last edited by Mark Y on August 18th, 2020, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y.e.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Alan Rath » August 18th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Pat Burton wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 4:01 pm
c fu wrote:
David Wright wrote:

Honestly, I despise social media of all types. While i recognize one could use the copy and paste method, making it easier for my posts to show up on someone's social media is quite unpleasant to me. If this feature is added, it will affect my posting.
I more or less feel the same. I come here because it's a community of people I enjoy interacting with. I don't necessarily want it to become another funnel to instagram or fb, though I would hope that would benefit Todd somehow, and probably a few posters who would utilize it.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by AndyK » August 18th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Another feature idea: a "douche" button for when I don't want to block someone ("foe") but also want to remind myself who I'm dealing with... pileon
k0berl

2020 WOTY Candidates
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
NV Krug Champagne Brut Rosé 18éme
2007 Marcel Juge Cornas

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by TimF » August 18th, 2020, 4:23 pm

AndyK wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Another feature idea: a "douche" button for when I don't want to block someone ("foe") but also want to remind myself who I'm dealing with... pileon
-like-
Tim F@itsch

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#35 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 18th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

I can see your point, but you haven't changed my mind.

As for the like/dislike being post-specific or thread-specific: I assumed it was post-specific. I agree with you 100% regarding "not seeing the purpose" of the like/dislikes only being thread-specific, if that's the case.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#36 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 18th, 2020, 4:44 pm

c fu wrote:
David Wright wrote:

I'm with David on this (see above), but have thought of a potential compromise that will at least somewhat appease folks with our viewpoint: is there anyway to make it known to us WB users if any given thread has been "shared" on Social Media? This would allow users to delete their posts in that thread, if they so desire.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#37 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 18th, 2020, 4:46 pm

AndyK wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 4:08 pm
The "Foe" function can be used in precisely that manner. The physical act of clicking on "click here to show post," or whatever the exact wording is, serves as a reminder that "what you're about to see is likely to offend or irritate you in some way."

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 18th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Personally, I’d like to delete the post count on our published profile. I feel like a loser. ;). It really is a silly metric.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Josh Grossman » August 18th, 2020, 5:49 pm

There is already Reddit.com/r/wine; it's awful. The only social media I want to share to is CellarTracker.

Markus S

#40 Post by Markus S » August 18th, 2020, 5:53 pm

So...Facebook conquers all?
$ _ € ® e . k @

Alex Valdes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Alex Valdes » August 18th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Lee Barnard wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:44 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:

Agree with this. I use another non-wine forum and I find the ability to like a post is helpful, particularly as it makes it easy to simply agree with a post, instead of a bunch of additional posts saying +1, thanks or repeating the first good response in slightly different words. Keeps it tidy and allows subsequent posts to be more focused on additional commentary or disagreement.

I do note there is no dislike option and that makes sense to me. If you disagree, it adds to the conversation to know why.

Liking a post within a thread has no impact other than you can see how many people and who liked it.

From a product perspective, I would favor an “up/down vote” button like you get in something like stackoverflow, especially when people are asking questions. The usecase being 1) other posters agreeing inline without having to have agreement all over the thread and 2) readers can search for the most upvoted.

This is semantically different than “like” and can live alongside a like button (or general reaction button). Both have their place, though reactions have a lot of the baggage people call out. If I could have one I would have up/down vote

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Cris Whetstone » August 18th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
In the forums I participate on the likes are also on the individual posts. I think the thread likes are more useful in that they point out which ones have better information versus those where some people are having personal back and forths.

I don't really like the individual post likes because they do exactly what you are worried about. They encourage people to merely throw out one liners and generally try to be notable versus adding content.

As for the social sharing people can already do that. It's just more cumbersome now. I think making it easier is a net positive regardless of the Luddites around. To them i would remind that THIS is a form of social media. It's just older so more acceptable to us older folk. It's not likely to live broadly forever.

ybarselah wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:46 pm
here's a great feature request: make all embedded links open in a new tab like most other sites. it actually used to be hard coded here but changed at some point.
YES! A no-brainer and pretty much the standard now. There is no reason you should have to right click to open links in 2020.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Max S. » August 18th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
I initially voted for Like/Dislike, but after thinking about it I'd vote against it. I don't think it adds any value.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » August 18th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Where do we vote for the improved search function?

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Dan Hammer » August 18th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Flyertalk has used the Like button for several years... successfully. When I like a post, the poster gets an alert. Others can see this. Sometimes there are multiple likes to a post. I may have been tempted to post a response; but by liking, it saves me the effort (and WB the bandwith).
The like button has not been abused.

Sharing to social media helps to expand the WB brand. Others may disagree. [wink.gif]
This space for rent.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 18th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Both changes just sound like a further move towards a single mega platform model. If I wanted my detailed tasting notes on Facebook I would post them there. I don’t need a share button here to do that.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Curtis Chen

#47 Post by Curtis Chen » August 18th, 2020, 6:52 pm

Yes to both. Always down to see additional features, really.
CellarTracker: Curtis Chen

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#48 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 19th, 2020, 7:40 am

At this stage, we're at no new features, as there's a stronger dislike, by far, not to have social share (which I completely don't understand) and even-up with yes/no on the likes

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by mmarcellus » August 19th, 2020, 7:50 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 6:41 pm
Both changes just sound like a further move towards a single mega platform model. If I wanted my detailed tasting notes on Facebook I would post them there. I don’t need a share button here to do that.
+1

I'm not interested in sharing my thoughts with the world. And while, of course, I would opt out of doing any sharing, I would be share adjacent. That's still too close for me. Let this site continue to be a refuge for the anti-social among us. [berserker.gif]
M @ r k

Ian Dorin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Ian Dorin » August 19th, 2020, 8:00 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Ditto.

I'm either way on the like/dislike. I think the number of pages that a topic generates tells you everything you need to know (and probably be reading)
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Return to “Wine Talk”